What to Do If You Need Help Paying Rent to Avoid Eviction
A myriad of factors can come into play, making it difficult to scrape enough money together to get rent paid on time. When everything seems to be working against you, know that DoNotPay is on your side. We'll get you .
DoNotPay's Rental Assistance product comes in handy when you're in a tough spot. It can help you find the assistance program you need to stay in your home.
What Does Rental Assistance Entail?
Rental assistance refers to programs willing to offer you help to get your rent paid. Mortgages may even be covered under certain programs. You apply to the program with the correct paperwork and details, a staff member determines your eligibility, and they get you set up to receive the assistance you applied for as long as everything is in order.
Rental Assistance By State
Many rental assistance programs are set at the state level. You'll need to select the state you currently reside in to learn more about the appropriate options.
Can Anyone Get Rental Assistance?
Typically, only those who meet certain qualifications can receive rental assistance. You may qualify if:
- You lost your job and are claiming unemployment
- Your income is less than the median range for your area
- You are considered to be at or below the poverty line
- You're a single parent with children
- You're a veteran
How Long Does It Take to Get Rental Assistance?
The money doesn't arrive in your account immediately upon applying. It can take days, weeks, or even longer for your assistance to come through. It depends on how dire your circumstances are, the number of people ahead of you in the application line, and whether you've included all of the necessary paperwork, identification, and information. As soon as you realize you need help, you need to reach out to local programs immediately so the approval can go through as soon as possible. Don't hesitate.
How Much Will These Programs Cover?
Many of these programs offer partial assistance. They may not cover your entire rental amount, but instead a certain percentage. However, if you're applying for emergency assistance, you may receive a one-time payment that covers the full cost of what you owe. Other programs even pay back rent that is owed and will help you with the next three months' worth of payment.
It all depends on your circumstances, what you qualify for, and which program you're attempting to utilize.
Reaching Out to Rental Assistance Companies on My Own
You must contact your local companies if you wish to apply for rental assistance. A simple online search should help you find contact details for each one. Look for:
- The Emergency Rental Assistance Program in your state
- Emergency Solution Grants in your state
- The Department of Housing and Urban Development in your state
- The Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program
- Your city's tenant association, if they have one
- The National Low Income Housing Coalition
Additional Resources for Rent Relief
Some churches in your area may be able to help as well. It doesn't hurt to reach out to them and see how they may be able to help you pay your rent today. You can also look into:
- Rent relief options through your bank
- Taking out a personal loan to cover the cost of rent
- Charities and organizations that may help with rent or other expenses, such as Catholic Charities USA or The Salvation Army
Avoid Eviction With DoNotPay's Help
You can get with DoNotPay's Rental Assistance product. In just a few steps, we'll have a generated letter to send to the housing authority and ensure someone reached out to you promptly with the best program.
- Search for Rental Assistance on DoNotPay.
- Put together a list of your income, debts, expenses, and assets. If you need help accessing information like your credit report, DoNotPay can help you get your report.
- Let DoNotPay collect your basic information and compose a letter to your local housing authority requesting rental assistance.
- Lastly, DoNotPay will send your letter to your local housing authority.
Why Should I Work With DoNotPay for This?
Applying for rental assistance and finding the right program isn't easy. You're already stressed about being late on rent and possibly getting evicted. DoNotPay can take some of that stress off your shoulders if you let us. We offer a fast and convenient service to help you get the assistance you need as soon as possible.
What Else Can DoNotPay Help Me Achieve?
DoNotPay does far more than get you . We also help you achieve:
- Lower property taxes
- Warranty claims
- Car lease negotiation
- Locating missing money
- Help with other bills