How to Find and Claim Rental Assistance in Indiana
The National Equity Atlas estimates that 93,000 households require rental assistance or risk eviction due to late rent payments in Indiana. If you face eviction due to tough economic times, you need to apply for the Indiana Housing and Community Development Authority rental assistance.
Though applying for rental assistance is necessary, it's not always easy, mainly if you are doing it without help. You will have to go through various offices and search for the specific agency online before making the application for rental assistance which could take a toll on you.
DoNotPay can help you apply for rental assistance in Indiana without any frustrations using the Rental Assistance Product. All you need to do is sign up, and we will take it from there.
How Do I Apply for Rent Relief in Indiana?
Indiana Emergency Rental Assistance (IERA) is the main rental relief program for those struggling with rent and utility payments in Indiana. The program, under IHCDA rental assistance fund, offers up to 15 months of rental assistance in Indiana for both past due and ongoing rental payments.
Follow these steps to apply for IERA rent relief online:
- Visit the Indiana housing website and sign-up or login. Your email should be active and able to receive regular updates
- Select the type of language you prefer; English or Spanish
- Provide the relevant documentation (birth certificate, social security number, employment information)
- Submit and wait for a response
If you don't have internet access, apply by Calling Indiana 2-1-1, and you will be advised what to do. The operators are available from Monday to Friday, 8 AM to 6 PM. Keep in mind that the Indy rent assistance status is now active, and you can apply.
Other rental assistance programs in Indiana include:
1. Section 8 Housing
Section 8 is provided by the Housing Choice Voucher Program to low-income families as part of Indiana rental assistance. The vouchers are given to families based on the size of the family and household income.
To apply for section 8 housing, follow these steps:
- Locate your public housing
- Check whether you are eligible for assistance
- Fill out the application form and attach the relevant documents, which include social security number, birth certificate, gross income, and other relevant information
- Check the waiting list status to see whether your application has been rejected or placed on the waiting list on the Indiana rental assistance portal
- Confirm the waiting list. Sometimes applicants can remain on the waiting list for a long time. The authorities will confirm placement on the portal or by mail. So ensure you regularly check the status
- Find qualified housing accepting section 8 vouchers after you receive the voucher. You will pay 30% of the rent while the voucher will cover the rest
2. Emergency Solutions Grants
The Emergency Solutions Grants (ESG) program helps families experiencing homelessness regain stability. Follow these steps to apply for ESG:
- Visit the people trust loan website and click on the application form
- Fill in all the information on the application form, then print out the form, and attach the relevant documents(State-issued Driver's License or ID Card, Copy of Social Security Card, Copy of Eviction Notice, Copy of Lease Agreement, and Proof of Income)
- Ensure that page 4 of the application is notarized
- Scan the document, then send it to email@example.com, or fax to 501-476-3910
3. Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)
Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) is a program that assists low-income families struggling with energy costs.
To apply for LIHEAP, you first need to find out whether you are qualified for the program. Either:
- Call 1-866-674-6327
- Visit the Indiana Housing and Community Development Authority website
- Visit their offices at Indiana Housing and Community Development Authority 30 South Meridian Street, Suite 900 Indianapolis, Indiana 46204
|Name of Program||Type of Aid||Phone Number||Email Address||Application Link|
|Section 8||Housing, Funding, Vouchers, etc||+1 317-261-7201||Web-HCVClients@indyhousing.org||http://www.gosection8.com/|
|ESG||Rapid rehousing assistance,
Heating and cooling energy payment,
Energy crisis assistance
Apply for Rental Assistance in Indiana With the Help of DoNotPay
Applying for rental assistance on whichever program is not easy. Besides visiting different offices, you have to spend time checking for eligibility and locating the right program. However, with DoNotPay, you don't have to deal with any of these frustrations. You can apply for Indiana rental assistance with DoNotPay.
DoNotPay can help compose a letter to the local housing authority based on the urgency of your situation and inquire about the best available options for receiving rental assistance in Indiana. Here are the 4 steps:
- Search for Rental Assistance on DoNotPay.
- Put together a list of your income, debts, expenses, and assets. If you need help accessing information like your credit report, DoNotPay can help you get your report.
- Let DoNotPay collect your basic information and compose a letter to your local housing authority requesting rental assistance.
- Lastly, DoNotPay will send your letter to your local housing authority.
Why Use DoNotPay to Apply for Rental Assistance in Indiana
DoNotPay can help with Indiana rental assistance applications and here is why:
- It is Fast- You don't need to spend hours of your time checking for eligibility or the status of the application.
- It's Easy- Using DoNotPay is not hard, all you have to do is sign up, and we will take it from there.
- It's Successful- After you have submitted the relevant information, you can rest assured that the Indianapolis rental assistance application will go through.
Try it today!