How to Get a Costco Membership Refund When You Cancel the Service
Costco might be a dream come true for people that like shopping big. The wholesale company’s massive markets are reserved for enrolled members and offer a variety of low-cost goods—from food and clothes to technical equipment. If you feel the warehouse isn’t your wonderland, though, and decide to cancel your Costco membership, you might be wondering if you can get a refund. The answer is yes, and we’ll show you just how!
Can You Cancel Your Costco Membership and Get a Refund?
Let’s first see what Costco has to say about refunds on memberships. The company is perhaps one of the most convenient when it comes to returns and giving you your money back. You can get a full refund on your membership any time you find you don’t like what the warehouse has to offer and no longer wish to use their services.
How to Get a Refund When You Cancel Your Costco Membership With DoNotPay
If you want a refund on a canceled Costco membership or products you bought from the company online, your best bet is to go with DoNotPay. Not only do you not need to leave your house, but you get the entire process done in under two minutes.
When you log in to your DoNotPay account from your web browser follow these simple steps:
- Go to the Chargeback Instantly section in your dashboard
- Enter the details of your credit/debit card you used to pay for a Costco membership
- Type in Costco as the company you want a refund from
- Submit your request by providing your digital signature
And you’re done! You can now sit back and relax knowing your case will be resolved pronto with our robot lawyer’s help. We will send your refund request to both Costco and your bank with the letter containing your credit/debit card codes. You will receive an email from us as soon as we’re done.
How to Get Your Costco Membership Fee Refund on Your Own
If you prefer to take a slower, more traditional route to request refunds, you can also deal with Costco on your own. There are three ways you can get a refund from the company manually:
- Visiting any Costco store
- Initiating a return online for the items you bought on the company’s website
- Contact the Costco Member Service Center by phone (in case you only want a refund for your paid membership and not on the goods you purchased)
Get Your Costco Refund in Person
If you don’t mind a trip to your nearest Costco warehouse, you can request and get your refund on the spot. Make sure to bring your ID and membership card with you. If you happen to have lost the latter, answering a couple of personal information questions will suffice. Once you’re at the store, take these steps to get a refund on your membership:
- Head to the membership counter or the returns counter (depending on whether you’re requesting a refund only on membership or on the products you bought as well)
- Inform the Costco staff you want to cancel and/or return the items you bought for a full refund
- Give your identification documentation and return the goods
- Request to be sent an email or given a paper certification of your canceled membership
Get Your Costco Refund on the Company’s Website
You can use your member account on the Costco website to return the orders you placed online and request a refund by doing so. Here’s how:
- Log in to your Costco account
- Go to the My Account section
- Click on My Orders
- Choose Return Items next to the order you want a refund for
- Follow the prompts from there to confirm the return
Once you go through these steps, Costco will offer two options for a return. You can get your return label right away or set up a pickup date. If large items are in question, you will probably get an email from the company with further instructions.
Note that while you can return the majority of bought products through the Costco Self-Service this way, there are some limitations. Some of the goods you cannot return through the website include the items that are:
- Special Order Kiosk items
Get Your Costco Refund by Phone
The third option to receive a refund from Costco is calling the company on the phone. Keep in mind that this method is reserved for a paid membership refund only. If you want to get your money back on the products you bought, you should opt for any of the previously described options.
You should also know that contacting the Costco Member Service Center is a mostly automated process, so if you don’t feel comfortable chatting with a machine, you should let DoNotPay fax your refund request.
If you decide to proceed with calling Costco, you can take these steps:
- Phone +1 (800) 774-2678
- Say Membership or tap numbers as directed
- Choose Cancellation
- Speak or tap your membership number
- Request a refund on your membership through an automated phone system or from a real person if someone picks up
Can You Request a Refund Via
Yes / No
Costco Membership Refund Policy in More Details
The Costco refund policy offers a Risk-Free 100% Satisfaction Guarantee to customers who are dissatisfied with the service or find it’s just not their cup of tea. While it means you can get your membership fee repaid in full any time you decide to cancel it, there are some limitations on the products you buy from Costco and on which you want to get your money back. Here’s a table that illustrates the rules:
Refund Requirements and Limitations
Special Order Kiosk and Custom Installed Programs
Alcohol and Cigarettes
Know Your Customer Rights When Disputing Any Charge
We bet you didn’t know you have as much as 60 days to dispute a charge on your credit card, as stated by federal law. That’s right—the Fair Credit Billing Act (FCBA) protects you from any unauthorized or fraudulent charges.
Once you file a complaint to your card issuer either in writing or by phone, they are obliged to respond to it within 30 days and complete the investigation in no more than two billing cycles. If the charge proves to be unauthorized indeed or incurred for items and services that weren’t delivered, you must get a refund—no matter what individual companies say.
If you’re experiencing issues with any corporations, never hesitate to stand up for yourself and take legal action. DoNotPay is on your side, and we’ll help you sue any person or company in small claims court.
With DoNotPay, No Administrative Task Will Be Left Unfinished
When you create your DoNotPay account in your chosen web browser you will never again feel the need to procrastinate with any legal or administrative tasks. Our robot lawyer can help you get a lot done efficiently and without any trouble on your part.
If you like shopping online, we can help you save up by canceling services like ShopSmarter or FreeShipping.com and even requesting a PayPal chargeback! Use those sweet saved bucks to splurge on yourself some more!
These are some other issues that you can solve much more quickly and put money back in your pockets when you’re using our services:
- Getting compensation from airline companies
- Dealing with stalking and harassment
- Getting rid of robocalls
- Disputing parking tickets
- Lowering or extending the due date of bills you cannot cover
- Trying to fix problems with your credit cards
- Reporting phishing mail
- Canceling subscription services
- Appealing speeding tickets
- Getting a DMV appointment
- Suing any person or company in small claims court
- Making refund claims to any company
- Being unable to get through the customer services phone queues
- Contesting traffic tickets
- Avoiding automated renewals when signing up for free trials