Where can I find churches that help with utility bills?
Did you know that 40% of Americans are having a hard time paying for at least one basic necessity, such as rent or food? With this in mind, it isn’t surprising to see how many people are on the lookout for churches that help with utility bills.
We at DoNotPay can help you get in touch with a church that helps with utility bills in just a few easy steps. Our goal is to make these difficult times as smooth as possible for you. We’re glad to provide you with valuable information on how to find churches that help pay utility bills.
How can DoNotPay help?
Our app has a variety of different features that enable us to assist you through thick and thin. To get in touch with us, all you need to do is follow these simple steps:
- Open the DoNotPay app either through your web browser or iOS device
- Select the ‘Corona Relief’ option
- Tell us what you need help with
- Provide us with some information about yourself and the circumstances you’re currently in
Once you do this, we will give you some of the best options for your specific needs. When you choose the option that is the most suitable for you, you can sit back and relax, as DoNotPay will do the rest of the work for you.
Churches that help with utility bills
Churches have been helping people with all kinds of bills for decades. If there’s no one else you would rather turn to, we suggest that you get in touch with some local churches that help with bills. There are plenty of them, so don’t worry about not being able to find one.
We’ve researched many churches and believe these are the ones you should check out:
- Love INC
- The Jewish Federations of North America
- Lutheran Services
- The Episcopal Church
- Catholic Charities USA
- The United Methodist Church
- Saint Vincent de Paul
- The Salvation Army
How does The Salvation Army help with utility bills?
The Salvation Army has been doing charity work since 1865. The movement has spread over the entire world, currently offering aid in over 130 countries.
The organization can financially support you during rough times and pay for your utility bills. If you need financial help with any other bill, they can provide for it as well.
How does the United Methodist Church help with utility bills?
The United Methodist Church has been serving people in need since the mid 20th century and was founded in Oxford. All of the United Methodist churches are located in Nashville, Tennessee.
This church organizes online gatherings which you can join to find out how they can help.
How do the Lutheran Services help with utility bills?
Lutheran services consist of over 300 Lutheran social ministry organizations. Their main mission is to help the most vulnerable people, such as children, the elderly, families, refugees, veterans, etc.
They help one in fifty Americans, which comes down to six million people annually, and have over 250,000 employees. Lutheran Services can help you out with utility bills, so reach out to them and find out more about their work.
How can I understand my utility bills better?
It’s common for people to get confused by all the things listed on their bills. More often than not, they have no clue what certain parts of the bill are supposed to be, let alone why they have to pay for them. Even though they’re supposed to be easy to understand, it’s challenging to comprehend the meaning of each item thoroughly.
We’re firm believers that everyone should be able to understand what’s on their bills, not only the small group of people with law Ph.Ds. To help you understand your utility bills better, we broke them down into a few different categories and explained each of them.
Items on your bill
What they mean
|This is what makes the biggest part of your bill. This part of your bill shows your energy consumption.|
|This item on your bill will show how much it costs to get the energy you spend from the generator to your home. It also includes the maintenance of pipes and wires through which electricity and gas travel to get to your house.|
|This fee is partially for the maintenance of pipes and wires used to transfer energy from the generator to your home, and partially for the operation and the building costs.|
|These costs are related to what your energy supplier has to pay for to get the energy you’re using.|
|You will find an item listed as ‘other fees’ which includes storage and meter installation costs.|
Utility bills have been getting more and more expensive over the years. Considering the ever-growing price of gas, it isn’t surprising to see the large spike in costs. This is why you’re having a hard time finding the finances to pay for your utility bills.
DoNotPay will help you make ends meet. If you need help, don’t ever be ashamed to ask for it. There are plenty of organizations that you can reach out to, and that will help you solve the issue in the blink of an eye.
Do providers sometimes make mistakes?
If you’re looking to save up some money, a great way for you to cut your utility costs is to look for errors. Once you start analyzing your bills more carefully, you will notice that they are packed with all kinds of errors.
In case you don’t feel like you have what it takes to notice all of these mistakes, you could always get in touch with a consumer rights advisor. These advisors are experts at what they do—they can spot errors in a second.
If you choose to try your luck with finding errors, these are some of the most common ones you should be on the lookout for:
- Duplicate items
- Services you see for the first time
- Services you never even received but got charged for them
- Services you canceled but still got charged for
Look for duplicate items
You will be surprised when you notice how often duplicate items show up on your utility bill. This is probably one of the most common errors you will come across. Don’t ever forget to check for this one!
See if there are any services you’re unfamiliar with
Always look for services you’re hearing of for the first time. Someone might be trying to rip you off, so if one of the items on your bill looks fishy, double-check it.
Look for services you never received
It is likely that you will find a service you never received, but got charged for at some point. Don’t overlook it!
Check for canceled services
If there are some services that you canceled, but that still make their way to your bill, make sure to double-check the items with a professional. Don’t let anyone overcharge you.
Is it possible to negotiate my utility bill?
If you come from a low-income household, yes, it is possible to negotiate your utility bill. You should get into a headspace of assuming that everything is negotiable. Don’t be afraid to do it. Just think about it—what would be the worst-case scenario? The person on the other side of the call would say no. Nobody’s going to make fun of you if you call someone and ask them to lower your utility bills.
If you’re looking for a fuss-free way to lower your utility bills, DoNotPay is definitely the best option for you. All you need to do is access our app either through your web browser or iOS device, and we will assist you in finding churches that help with utility bills.
You can choose from a few different options when it comes to negotiating your utility bill:
Financial aid options
How to go about it
Consumer rights advisor
Organizations that can help with utility bills
Am I allowed to ask for an extension date for my utility bill?
Yes, absolutely. If you want to ask for an extension date for your utility bill, the only important thing is that you don’t feel embarrassed to do it. There is nothing wrong with being unable to pay for your bills this instant.
If you’d like to ask for an extension date, you should know that there are a few ways to go about it:
- Sending a letter
- Calling customer service
If you feel like the best option for you would be to send a letter, DoNotPay can help you out. All you need to do is access our app either through your web browser or iOS device and tell us what you need help with and what kind of help would best suit you.
Once you do that, we will ask you to provide us with some information, such as:
- Your full name
- Your address
- Your email address
- The reason behind your being unable to pay your utility bill
When you give us all of these pieces of information, our app is going to generate a letter for you. You may have to elaborate on the circumstances you’re currently in so that we can make the letter sound more convincing. It’s important that the recipient of the letter finds your reason sensible—they might say no otherwise.
Fret not, though—we always have your best interest at heart and will make sure that you get an extension date for your utility bill. The whole process is going to take up to 48 hours, though it usually takes less. Our goal is to help you promptly because we understand what it’s like to be in an emergency.
Am I allowed to ask for a waiver on late fees for my utility bill?
If you want to ask for a waiver on late fees for your utility bill, you absolutely can do that. There are a few ways you can do it:
- Consulting a lawyer
- Calling customer service
- Consulting a consumer rights advisor
- Sending a letter
The easiest way to go about asking for a waiver on late fees for your utility bill is to write a letter with the help of DoNotPay. Going there in-person and calling customer support are time-consuming options, whereas lawyers might charge you. With the goal of saving your precious time and money, we can send a letter in your stead if that’s what you would like us to do. All we need from you is some basic information about your current situation, as well as your personal information.
The only important thing for us is that we make this experience as stress-free as possible for you. We understand that this entire process is anything but relaxing, so our goal is to make things just a bit easier. Our app is so user-friendly that anyone can access and use it to its full potential.
Is it a good idea to apply for a loan to pay off my utility bill?
No, we think it’s a pretty bad idea. But can you apply for a loan to pay off your utility bill? Yes, you can.
The only thing you should keep in mind is that getting yourself into even more debt is probably the worst option. If you’ve tried all of the other options and none of them worked, of course, you should apply for a loan. Bear in mind that this option should be treated as a last resort.
Can I pay my utility bill with my credit card?
Yes, you can pay your utility bill with your credit card if that’s the option you’d like to go for. Don’t forget that this may damage your credit scores, though. Depending on how large your debt is, you could do some serious, long-term damage to them. If your bills aren’t enormous, though, it’s totally fine to pay for them using your credit card.
How can I lower my utility bill efficiently?
If you’re looking to cut costs, there are a few decent alternative options for you to reduce your utility bills efficiently. These are the best options to go for:
- Insulate your home better. Heating drains your money more than you could imagine. If you manage to insulate your home better, you won’t have to use heating as much. Good insulation contributes to your home’s temperature levels significantly.
- Balance your use of electricity. A great way to balance the use of electricity is to utilize it strategically. For example, if you wait just a bit longer for your dishwasher to get fully packed, you will save a lot of energy because you won’t have to turn it on multiple times.
- Close your doors and windows. Don’t keep them open during some of the coldest fall or winter days. You will cool your entire house, which will only result in your having to turn up the heating. Keep an eye on those windows and doors! The more electricity you use, the more you pay.
- Don’t use tumble dryers. These machines use a lot more energy than you may think. Try to dry your clothes on a clothes horse or outside. It will take a lot longer for your clothes to dry, but it will be worth it at the end of the month. It’s going to save you a lot of money.
- Get energy-efficient machines. In these modern times, the market is packed with energy-efficient fridges, washing machines, freezers, dishwashers, etc. If you can get your hands on one of these, you’re going to save lots of energy.
- Purchase energy-efficient light bulbs. Each energy-efficient light bulb that you buy will last ten times longer than regular ones. They aren’t overly expensive, so if you could invest in them, we suggest you do it straight away.
- Don’t forget to turn off your lights! Keeping your lights on around the house will drain way too much energy. To reduce your utility bills efficiently, make sure that you don’t forget to turn them off. It will become a habit eventually, even if it seems like a bother at first.
What else can DoNotPay help me with?
DoNotPay has many features that enable us to help you when you need it the most. To get access to these features, you can check our app out either through your web browser or iOS device. Among other things, DoNotPay can help you with:
- Fighting your parking tickets
- Making virtual credit cards to avoid getting charged after a free trial expires
- Contesting your speeding tickets
- Getting refunds for canceled or delayed flights
- Disputing your traffic tickets
- Canceling any membership or subscription
- Helping pay any other bill
- Scheduling a DMV appointment for you in the blink of an eye
- Suing people and businesses of all sizes that wronged you in small claims court
- Jumping the phone queue when trying to reach customer support teams