4 Steps To Get Help With Your Electric Bill In Oklahoma
There are times you get financial difficulties, making it hard to pay utility bills, including electricity. You end up getting behind on your bills and even risk disconnection from your service providers, especially if there are no regulations against companies shutting your services off. Imagine being without electricity, water, or gas, yet you aren't sure when you'll get the money to settle the arrears. If anything, the bills will just keep accumulating, maybe to a point when you can't settle them.
Luckily, state and federal governments have come up with programs to help those in dire need settle their bills. A good example is how states and the federal government extended funds to help people settle their utility bills due to the COVID-19 pandemic. However, you must come up with ways to manage your utility bills better to minimize costs and avoid being caught up in unending debts. You should also ensure that you are alert at all times of the assistive government programs available in your area so that you can take advantage of them.
However, managing water, internet, electricity, or gas bills can be overwhelming. Getting government grants and assistance can also be challenging due to the logistics and requirements. But there's no need to worry. DoNotPay is here to help you get electricity bill assistance with minimal to zero hassle.
This article aims to show you how you can easily But let's look at a few things first.
Understand Your Oklahoma Electricity Bill
It's important that you know whatever your utility bill entails, as it's the first way to better management. A typical OKC electricity bill comprises of the following items:
|This shows the cost of producing your electricity and getting it to your home or business.
|Taxes and Fees
|Pass-through charges from local government agencies often used to benefit schools, cities, and county services such as 911.
|Amount of electricity
|Your consumption is expressed in kilowatt-hours (kWh).
|Cost of Fuel for Power
|Reflects the pass-through expense of the natural gas, coal, and purchased power consumed to generate the electricity you consumed.
How Do I Get Help With My Electric Bill in Oklahoma on My Own?
The City of Oklahoma understands that life can get hard, and emergencies and traumatic life events occur. That's why it extends various financial assistance and arrangements to help people undergoing financial difficulties.
Many Oklahoma families get help paying their utility bills every year from programs developed by the state of Oklahoma, from those directly offered by utility companies or non-profits. However, you must be eligible for the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) to get assistance with your utility bills, including electricity bills.
Oklahoma Electricity Bill Assistance Eligibility Criteria
Eligibility requirements for the LIHEAP initiative are based on your income, household size, available resources, and the responsibility for paying home energy costs. Here are the requirements:
- Be responsible for paying for your home's electricity costs.
- Be a United States citizen or have been eligible legally admitted for permanent residence.
- Meet countable resource standards, including cash, checking or savings accounts, crypto, bonds, or stocks.
- Meet the specific household income guidelines as defined by the City of Oklahoma.
Once you meet the above requirements, you can apply and get assistance from any of these organizations:
- Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) - fuel and weatherization assistance
- Community Action agencies - energy assistance programs
What Other Companies Can I Get Help With My Oklahoma Electric Bill From?
You can also get aid and discounts from the following electric companies in Oklahoma:
- American Electric Power
- Canadian Valley Electric Cooperative
- CenterPoint Energy Oklahoma
- Cherokee Electric Cooperative
- City of Stillwater
- Indian Electric Cooperative
- Northeast Oklahoma Electric Cooperative
- Oklahoma Gas & Electric, and
- Public Service Company of Oklahoma.
These companies offer specific discounts and assistance to low-income individuals with financial difficulty.
Here's How You Can Easily Get Help With Your Electric Bill Using DoNotPay
Managing and getting help with your utility bills can be overwhelming, especially due to all the requirements and processes you have to meet. But DoNotPay is here to smoothen out the process for you in 4 simple steps:
- Go to the Negotiate Bills product on DoNotPay.
- Choose whether you want us to call and negotiate your bill for you or send a bill negotiation letter on your behalf.
- Provide the details that will help us negotiate your bill including the company name and how much your current plan costs.
- Enter your contact information, including email, address, and phone number.
You Can Do So Much More With DoNotPay
DoNotPay not only helps you but you can also get professional legal help with other tasks such as:
- Filing a case in small claims court
- Getting help in paying cell phone bills
- Getting airline flight compensation
- Finding missing money
- Connecting with an inmate
- Getting compensation for victims of crime
- Notarizing any document
- Searching for sex offenders
There is no need to burden yourself with legal issues. Download DoNotPay today and discover all the amazing ways a single app can make your life so much easier.