3 Ways To Get Water Bill Assistance In Louisiana
Need ? According to a Guardian investigation, millions of Americans risk losing their homes and having water disconnected due to rising water bills. An analysis conducted over a decade in 12 American cities showed a combined water and sewage price increase by 80%.
Paying water bills can be a bit challenging if you don't understand the content of the bill or the procedures involved. DoNotPay can help with water bills in Louisiana through faster, more convenient, and automated steps.
Understanding Your Water Bill
A Louisiana water bill contains two items: water usage and sewer charges. The amount you'll pay for sewer will depend on your water usage. However, in most cases, your municipality will include additional charges such as stormwater management, bay restoration, and demand charges.
Your water section on the bill shows information about water coming into your home, while the sewage section shows the water leaving your home. Here's a breakdown of what the water bill entails:
|Billing Information||You will find information like billing date, sewer supplier account number, billing period, due date, and amount to be paid at the top part of the bill.
Other information includes your name and address. Always go through this section to ensure that the bill you are paying is correct.
|Water Rate Structure||Consumers are charged based on the consumer price index (CPI), which means water and sewer charges are subject to change. Utility companies use different rate structures when billing customers, but the most common is uniform rates.
If your household is under a uniform rate, you will pay the same amount per metered gallon regardless of the units metered.
|Water Meter Data||Your bill contains your meter number, days of water usage, current and previous meter readings, and when they were taken. The data must also include the number of gallons you used between each reading.|
|Water Usage Section||The water usage section shows the number of gallons you used between each reading. Water usage is measured in gallons or cubic feet. So if you see Mgal, it stands for a gallon.|
How to Ask for an Extension on Your Water Bill Payment
If you are struggling to pay your water bills, you can ask for an extension by phone, online or through DoNotPay.
Asking for Water Bill Extension Via Phone
Call 1-800-ENTERGY on 1-800-368-3749. Follow all the information and procedures from the automated response system and the payment menu.
Online Application for Bill Extension
Visit myEntergy and create an account using your name and a password of your choice.
Online Application via DoNotPay
DoNotPay can help you generate a letter for an extension on your behalf. DoNotPay will make a compassionate request to the water company asking for an extension through the letter.
If the company rejects the application, DoNotPay will send another letter citing all the relevant laws involved.
How to Ask for a Waiver on Late Fees for Your Water Bill on Your Own
If you are facing financial hardship, you can ask for a waiver for any pending bills in the following ways:
- Request a waiver payment through myEntergy
- Call 1-800-368-3749 and follow the automated response system directions, including the payment menu
- Hire an attorney to intervene on your behalf
- Write a letter to the company explaining your financial hardships and when you will be able to clear the balance
- Use DoNotPay to send a letter to the Louisiana water and sewage company to waive the late fees.
How to Ask for Water Bill Assistance by Yourself
Failing to pay water bills or any other bill can lead to cutoffs.
- Apply for Water Bill Via LIHEAP (the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program)
Apply for water bill assistance to LIHEAP through Total Community Action (TCA). TCA has three ways in which you can submit your application:
- Submit your application online
- Drop your documents at 1410 S. Jefferson Davis Parkway
- Call the TCA representative at (504) 872-0334 and ask for help applying for water bill assistance
- Apply for Sewerage and Water Board Water Help/Plumbing Assistance Program
The program helps struggling and disabled persons, low-income earners, and the elderly pay water bills and fix plumbing issues.
TCA can help you apply for assistance, or you can apply in person by dropping your application at:
Total Community Action
1424 South Jefferson Davis Parkway
New Orleans, LA 70125
- Talk to Your Utility Service Provider
Many utility companies have programs to help those who cannot pay their water bills or other bills on time. The sewerage and water company has a payment plan for those struggling. The plan will let you pay what you owe the company over months.
How to Ask for Water Bill Assistance With DoNotPay
Asking for involves several steps which can physically and mentally drain you. Before submitting your application, you may have to write letters, visit different offices, and talk to multiple people.
DoNotPay can help lower your bills quickly through the following steps:
- Go to the Negotiate Bills product on DoNotPay.
- Choose whether you want us to call and negotiate your bill for you or send a bill negotiation letter on your behalf.
- Provide the details that will help us negotiate your bill including the company name and how much your current plan costs.
- Enter your contact information, including email, address, and phone number.
Leave all the work to DoNotPay! We'll fight for a lower bill for you and help you find grants to help pay bills.
Why Use DoNotPay to Ask for Water Bill Assistance in Louisiana
DoNotPay can help you ask for the same way it can help you with: