How To Recover Your Hacked PSN Account
You value your Playstation Network (PSN) account for the thousands of hours of recorded gaming experiences, high scores, game trophies, and friendship contacts.
Unfortunately, PSN accounts are also a popular target for hackers who look to steal not only your leveled-up avatar, but also your identity. Your contains valuable personal information including your address, credit card data, and email. Hackers exploit this information to gain access to other accounts you hold outside of PSN. They also may attempt to sell access to your account.
In fact, players learned this valuable lesson when Sony's PSN experienced one of the most damaging breaches of all time back in 2011. The personal information of over 77 million PSN users was stolen, and the network remained out of service for several weeks.
If you find that your PSN account has been hacked, there are many steps you can take to recover it. However, DoNotPay offers a more efficient process that will have you back gaming on your original account in less time.
How to Tell If Your PSN Account Was Hacked
There are a few ways to tell if your .
- Check if your account is logged in from the PlayStation app on an iOS or Android device.
When your PSN account is logged in, a green dot appears next to your username on the main or account information screen. If you are not able to verify it yourself, your friends can check if your account is online through the PSN app, website, or console.
- Log in to your PSN account on the internet and check for unknown devices that are logged in.
On the PSN website, go to Account>Device Management to check what devices are linked to your account. If you do not recognize a device, chances are, someone has hacked into your account.
- You are denied access to your PSN account.
If you cannot access your account with the correct login credentials, a hacker may have accessed your account and changed your sign in and password. Additionally, the 2-step verification may also have been deactivated.
- There are unrecognizable transactions on your account.
If there are transactions you did not authorize, a hacker may have access and is purchasing items with your credit card.
- You receive an email from PSN about a change to your account you did not make.
If the email doesn't say that PlayStation made the changes, your account may have been compromised, and the hacker is making the changes.
What to Do If Your PSN Account Is Hacked
Once you are sure that your account has been compromised, take the following steps immediately to mitigate the damage.
- Interact with the Playstation Support bot to attempt to reset your PSN account password.
- If you don't recognize a purchase, contact support for further investigation and corrective action on your account.
- Contact your credit card company to place a hold on any unauthorized charges on the card that is linked to your PSN account. This will at least ensure the hacker can no longer charge it.
What to Do If Your PSN Account Username and Password Have Been Changed
If you are unable to access your account because a hacker has already changed your username and password, follow the steps below:
- Try to reset your password from PSN's website and select "Trouble Signing in?>Reset your password."
- You will receive an email containing a verification link. Click on this link and fill in the required information and set a new password. If you did not receive the password reset link in your email, verify it's not in your spam folder or misspelled. If it is a child's account, only the family manager can reset the password for the account.
- If you were successful in changing your password, select the menu option on the left, select Security. Click Sign Out on All Devices. This kicks the hacker off since they won't have your new password.
- Secure the account with 2-step verification which adds an extra layer of security, so the hacker cannot access the account again.
- If you were unable to retrieve your account, contact PSN support for further assistance.
Recover a Hacked PSN Account with the Help of DoNotPay
Following the above procedures can be time-consuming and tedious. However, DoNotPay can help with three easy steps.
- Open the Recover Hacked Gaming Account product on DoNotPay and enter the gaming company name.
- Fill in the details of your account, including when it was first created, when it was hacked, whether you still have access, the name of the game, associated usernames, and how much you have paid through this account (if you've paid at all).
- Choose whether you would like us to send the demand letter on your behalf, or just generate a digital copy, and provide your e-signature.
DoNotPay will file a letter on your behalf to PSN. No need to fill out forms, communicate with chatbots, or spend hours on a support site.
In addition to helping you retrieve your hacked PSN account, DoNotPay can help you with the following:
Why Use DoNotPay to Recover Your Hacked PSN Account
Your PSN is not only for gaming, or kicking off some steam after a long day, it contains information that may compromise your other accounts including your credit card. With DoNotPay you can have the quickest solution, we are:
|Fast||You don’t have to spend hours trying to find solutions to recover your account.|
|Easy||You don't have to struggle to fill out tedious forms or keep track of all the steps involved in defending and protecting your PSN Account.|
|Successful||You can rest assured knowing we'll make the best case for you.|
What Else Can DoNotPay Do?
Solving issues with hacked accounts is just one example of the many problems DoNotPay can help you with. Here are some other ways DoNotPay can simplify your life.
- Appeal a banned account
- Deal with copyright protection
- Sue anyone in small claims court
- Get chargeback and refunds
- Appeal parking tickets in any city
- Fight text spam
- Contact government representatives
These are just a few of the multitude of guides and solutions DoNotPay provides to help you through many types of situations. With over 250,000 cases successfully resolved, DoNotPay's multi-purpose platform clearly levels the playing field for everyone.