How to Recover Your Hacked Activision Account
Has your Activision account recently been hacked? There are few things more upsetting than realizing that your hours, months, and years of gameplay, your stacks of earned rewards, and your collection of paid content may all be lost to some underhanded hacker. A hacked Activision account can not only put your data and gaming history at risk, but it can also expose your finances and elements of your personal identity.
Recovering your hacked Activision account requires a multi-step process through Activision admins, and it doesn't always work. That's why DoNotPay is here to help you restore your Activision account, removing it from hacker access and returning everything you've worked so hard for.
How to Tell if Your Activision Account Was Hacked
Most people know that their Activision account has been hacked when they realize that they've been logged out and can't log back in using their usual credentials. This means a hacker has taken control of your account to change the email and password to credentials only they know and can access. However, because Activision can be logged in on multiple devices, there may be other signs that a hacker is in your account - even if you have not yet been fully booted.
Signs Your Activision Account Is Hacked
- You have been unexpectedly logged out.
- Your login information has stopped working.
- You can see unusual activity on your account
- Unexpected bank activity from Activision
- Your friends say that your account is active when you're not playing.
What to Do if Your Activision Was Hacked: The Official Route
If your Activision account has been hacked, you'll need to go through a complex multi-step process to appeal for your account to be restored. Activision frames this process on their account recovery page. We'll walk you through it step by step so getting your account back DIY is as easy as possible.
Make a New (Temporary) Activision Account
First, make a new Activision account with an email and password you can access. This doesn't have to be your original account email, but it helps. Activision is very clear: This is a temporary account that will be deleted if/when your original account is restored. Essentially, they use the new account for verification that you are you - and to access their customer service platform.
Link Your Gaming Platforms to the New Account
Here's the verification step: Link the new temporary account to all your other gaming platforms where you play Activision games. This confirms that you have all your other typical login information and should serve to prove that the old Activision account is yours as well.
Each platform has its own linking process, so you'll need to go through this process one linked platform at a time.
Don’t Play Anything (The Saves Won’t Last)
You can play games with the new linked account, but the progress will not be saved. Everything you earn or buy on this account will be deleted, so only play where you don't care about keeping your progress or records.
Go to the Activision Account Recovery Page
Once logged in and linked to the new account, head over to the Activision Account Recovery Page. Scroll down past the instructions and click "Continue."
This will open you to a live chat customer service route.
File a Live-Chat Request With Customer Service
Talk with Activision customer service through LiveChat. Tell them about how your account was hacked and provide all the verification info they ask for in the process. If you can prove your account was stolen, Activision should approve your account restoration and change your login info back to something you can access.
What Activision Will (Theoretically) Do
If Activision approves your hacked account restoration, they will go through the account restoration process.
- Your old account will be restored to your control (within 24 hours of approval)
- Your new temporary account will be deleted.
- You will be advised to update and secure your login information.
Protect Yourself if Your Activision Account Has Been Hacked
When even one of your online accounts has been hacked, it's vitally important to defend all your other accounts just in case the hacker has your logins scoped out and ready to steal, especially if you use the same email and password for all your accounts or have payment information connected to any of your accounts.
Stop Payments Temporarily
When you realize your Activision account was hacked, contact your bank and temporarily freeze all transactions with Activision. This can stop hackers from making online purchases with your linked banking info.
Secure Your Other Gaming Accounts
- You will also want to hacker-proof all your other similar-login accounts. Design a different password for each account and keep them in a private file. Use an amusing acronym that's easy to remember for each one. This ensures that if one account gets hacked, the others are safer.
- You may want to connect your accounts with a secondary email, as well, just in case your email is compromised or will be used to attempt to hack future accounts.
- Set up 2-factor authentication for all your gaming accounts - even if the feature is new on some platforms. This will reduce the chances that a hacker can steal any of your accounts with just your email and favorite password.
How to Recover Your Hacked Activision Account With the Help of DoNotPay
What do you do if Activision won't restore a hacked account? Account verification doesn't always go smoothly, or the hacker may be more effectively impersonating you than you realized. If this happens, you're not stuck. You have not lost all your Activision gaming data yet. With DoNotPay, we can push the envelope and make sure you get your account back with advanced management of customer service and corporate law.
DoNotPay will collect the information needed to prove the account is yours and go through more official channels to make sure Activision has to respond to your request for account recovery.
How to recover your hacked account using DoNotPay:
If you want to recover your gaming account but don't know where to start, DoNotPay has you covered in three easy steps:
- Open the Recover Hacked Account product on DoNotPay and tell us the name of the company or platform of your hacked account.
- Enter the information associated with your account, such as your username.
- Tell us whether you have paid for the account and would like a refund.
- And that’s it! We will send a demand letter on your behalf with a two-week deadline for the company’s representatives to help you recover your account.
What Else Can DoNotPay Do?
DoNotPay has a wide range of online customer support and legal services available. Here are just a few other ways we can help manage your accounts and protect your online rights.
- Appeal a Banned Account
- Small Claims Court
- Copyright Protection
- Identity Theft Recovery
- File an Insurance Claim
- File a Complaint
- How to Cancel Any Account
DoNotPay Can Help You Recover Any Hacked Account
As an online legal service, DoNotPay can help you defend all of your online accounts and have them restored should a hacker try to steal them. Any company, any website, we'll get in touch with corporate HQ and push the matter until your hacked accounts are restored.
DoNotPay can also help with the following.
No one deserves to see their accounts hacked, especially not an account you've spent months - maybe years - building up. DoNotPay can help get your Activision account back from the hacker.