How To Secure A Hacked Plenty of Fish Account
Plenty of fish is a popular dating site with both free and paid accounts, tokens, and live credits. Thousands of people have used the platform to connect with potential dates and find love. However, it is also a place where hackers look for victims of both scams and account theft. In addition to protecting yourself from catfishing (love scams), you also need to worry about having your by an opportunistic password thief.
If your POF account has been hacked, it can take a lot of effort to get it back - and you'll still have a mess of messages and profile changes to clean up. DoNotPay can help you get your account access restored and recover from any identity theft that took place while your Plenty of Fish account was under the control of a hacker.
Why Would Someone Hack Your Plenty of Fish Account?
The most common type of hack on Plenty of Fish is account takeover - where someone else starts using your account to fish for dates. "But why?" you might wonder. Good question.
There are two reasons why someone might use another's account on a dating site: to take advantage of your paid account - or to take advantage of others using your name and profile.
To Steal Your Upgrade, Tokens, or Live Credits
If you have paid for an account - or even just a few tokens or live credits, your account has some monetary value to steal from. Just having a payment method linked to your POF account can mean the hacker can start racking up charges for upgrade months, tokens, and live credits.
In this case, the hacker will typically change your profile to their name and picture just to steal the value of the account.
To Catfish Others Using Your Profile
Alternatively, the hacker may be looking for a dummy account to catfish others. Your profile might be just the ticket they need to commit love scams in your name or using your photos. In this case, only some of your profile information will change.
What's interesting is that don't always get locked out right away. Hackers may or may not change your login information while using your account without your permission.
Signs that Your Plenty of Fish Account Was Hacked
Here are some telltale signs that your POF account has been hacked:
- Account Being Used by Someone Else
- Getting a flood of email notifications in your inbox - that don't relate to your searches
- Messages in your "Sent" folder that you did not write
- Upgrade or purchase you didn't make
- Changes to your profile like age, gender, images, or location
- Locked Out or Attempted Lock Out
- Your password doesn't work anymore
- Got an email to change or reset your password - that you did not request
- Admins send an email of suspicious activity
- Verification phone number or email has been changed
What to Do If Your Plenty of Fish Account Was Hacked
If you still have access to your POF account, here are the steps you should follow.
- Change Your Password Immediately
- Create a new and challenging password for your POF account if you are still able to change it.
- Secure Your Email Account
- Make sure your email account is not also compromised using the same hacker techniques
- Change your password on any accounts that share your hacked Plenty of Fish password
- Correct Your Profile Information
- Reclaim your profile by undoing any changes made by the hacker.
- Notify Plenty of Fish Admins
- Let Plenty of Fish know there's a hacker on the loose.
- Email customer service
- Disconnect with the Hacker's Matches
- You may want to politely let anyone who responded to the hacker using your account that your account has been hacked and they were being catfished from a stolen account.
Locked Out of POF?
If you’re locked out of your POF account, here is a helpful guide. If the email and password of your Plenty of Fish account have been changed, you will need to go through POF customer service to have the account restored.
- Navigate to the New Ticket Request Page
- Fill out the form completely and accurately
- Select "I Need Help" from the first drop-down
- Enter your current email address
- Enter the last email associated with your POF account - before the hacker changed it
- Enter your POF username
- Enter your phone number
- Select "I have a privacy concern" from the “How can we help?” drop-down
- Select "My account has been hacked" from the Platform drop-down
- Title your message
- Detail the hack in the comment section below
- Attach any relevant screenshots or document
- Wait for Plenty of Fish customer service to respond
Once you have submitted your ticket, you will need to wait for a response from Plenty of Fish admins. This type of hack is very common and there may be a delay due to a weekend or backlog of requests. In the meantime, take additional security measures like securing your email and changing the passwords on any accounts that share the same login (email and/or password) as your POF account.
Why You Should Temporarily Freeze POF Charges
Until your account is completely resecured, you may want to let your bank or credit company know to freeze charges from Plenty of Fish. This will prevent the hacker from abusing your finances to buy upgrades, tokens, and live credits.
DoNotPay Can Help You Recover Your Hacked Plenty of Fish Account
Whether Plenty of Fish has refused to help you restore your hacked account or your ticket is sitting unanswered for days with a hacker still using your profile, DoNotPay can help. DoNotPay is an online service and we can use more official routes to go around online customer service delays. We can also push the issue on your account restoration by letting Plenty of Fish know they are permitting fraud and theft to continue on their site unchecked.
All you need to do is let us know the information needed to verify your account ownership and evidence of your account being hacked. From there, we'll handle the rest and let you know when your account is ready to be reclaimed with a new password and fresh security measures.
If you are the victim of more extensive Identity Theft, we can help you with this complicated process of recovery as well.
How to Recover Your Hacked Account Using DoNotPay
If you want to recover your gaming account but don't know where to start, DoNotPay has you covered in 4 easy steps:
- Open the Recover Hacked Account product on DoNotPay and tell us the name of the company or platform of your hacked account.
- Enter the information associated with your account, such as your username.
- Tell us whether you have paid for the account and would like a refund.
- And that’s it! We will send a demand letter on your behalf with a two-week deadline for the company’s representatives to help you recover your account.
DoNotPay Can Help You Recover Any Hacked Account
Have any of your other accounts been stolen using the same email and password? Identity theft on a small or large scale often comes with a cluster of compromised accounts. Fortunately, DoNotPay can help you restore any hacked account with any website, service, or company using exactly the same simple process.
DoNotPay can help you with other company accounts, such as:
What Else Can DoNotPay Do?
Can we solve any other problems for you, today? DoNotPay offers a broad selection of online legal, administrative, and customer support services that can help remove a few headaches and unnecessary payments from your plate this year. Here are just a few additional services that can help you in the aftermath of getting hacked:
- Identity Theft Recovery
- File an Insurance Claim
- How to Cancel Any Account
- File a Complaint
- Appeal a Banned Account
- Copyright Protection
- Small Claims Court
If your Plenty of Fish account has been hacked, DoNotPay can help you get it back. Don't let slow admin responses discourage you, we'll make sure you get your profile back and help you deal with any financial or legal aftermath of an attack on this and other online accounts.