How to Get Out of a Timeshare Successfully
Your timeshare seemed like a good idea at the time. Timeshare salespeople are experts at emphasizing the perks of owning a timeshare. But similar to many salespeople, they use the following tactics to make the sale:
- They gloss over the high costs
- They sugarcoat the limited amount of time you can use your timeshare
- They may even fail to mention the difficulty of getting rid of your timeshare if you decide you no longer want it.
Fortunately, you have options for getting out of your timeshare .
How Much Time Do You Have to Get Out of a Timeshare?
Following this grace period, you will still be allowed to cancel your timeshare under most circumstances, but the process will typically be costly and time-consuming. Although you can certainly attempt to get out of a timeshare on your own, working with a professional throughout the process will make you far more likely to be successful.
How Much Does It Cost to Get Out of a Timeshare?
Getting out of your timeshare is no easy task. This extensive process typically costs between $5,000 and $6,000 and takes up to 18 months, even if you work with a timeshare exit company. Attempting to do so on your own can cost even more.
This cost can also vary depending on the number of contracts that are associated with your timeshare. Older timeshares have likely been updated more times over the years than newer ones, which means that they often have more contracts to undo. Each contract you need assistance with adds to the overall cost of getting out of your timeshare.
Here are the options available to you if you want to get out of a timeshare:
|Get out of a timeshare on your own.||You can attempt to sell or give away your timeshare, contact the timeshare company, and ask to cancel or stop payments to the timeshare.|
|Consult a lawyer.||A lawyer can attempt to get you out of your timeshare contract.|
|Enlist the help of a timeshare exit company.||A timeshare exit company specializes in helping their customers out of their timeshare contracts but is a costly option.|
|Use DoNotPay to get out of your timeshare.||A quick, easy, and cost-effective process to get out of your timeshare contract.|
How to Get Out of a Timeshare by Yourself
Although there are methods for getting out of a timeshare by yourself, they are not likely to succeed. There are three possible actions to take to get out of a timeshare on your own:
- You can attempt to sell or give away your timeshare, but you will likely have difficulty finding a buyer and not get much money back.
- Although you are allowed to contact your timeshare company yourself to ask to cancel your timeshare, this usually will not be sufficient when it comes to convincing your timeshare company to let you out of your contract.
- While you might think that simply stopping payments will solve the problem on your end, you will still own the timeshare, and the timeshare company may take legal action against you for nonpayment.
Next Steps for Getting Out of a Timeshare if You Can 't Do It Yourself
You can try consulting a private lawyer if you cannot get out of your timeshare by yourself, but even a lawyer can likely only do so much. Many timeshare owners eventually succeed working with a timeshare exit company, although the process can be expensive and take quite some time.
Get Out of a Timeshare With the Help of DoNotPay
Getting assistance from DoNotPay often results in a much quicker and easier process. You will simply need to fill out an online form that identifies the timeshare you are looking to get out of, and we will handle the work of getting in touch with your timeshare company for you. Our timeshare cancellation process involves three simple steps:
- Search "Cancel Timeshare Agreement" on DoNotPay.
- Tell us about the timeshare company, the contract name and number, the purchase date, and other details of your agreement.
- DoNotPay will generate a cancellation request letter on your behalf, leveraging all of the negotiation tactics mentioned above.
Why Use DoNotPay to Get Out of a Timeshare Instead of a Timeshare Exit Company
Working with a timeshare exit company is typically a successful option for getting out of a timeshare, but it is expensive. You will likely pay an average of five years' worth of timeshare maintenance fees, which typically run around $1,000 per year, to get out of your timeshare if you choose this option. Although this is still worth it over time for most people looking to get out of a timeshare, working with DoNotPay gives you a more cost-effective alternative that can help you start saving your money sooner.
We are also committed to making the process easier for you than most timeshare exit companies. Utilizing a timeshare exit company is often a time-consuming task that requires a significant amount of work on your part. We can make this easy by providing a quick and simple form for you to fill out that makes it easy for us to handle the hard work of dealing with your timeshare company for you.
DoNotPay Works Across All Companies With the Click of a Button
The process of getting out of a timeshare can vary from state to state and company to company if you choose to work directly with the company you purchased your timeshare from. Still, our process is just as easy for you no matter what type of timeshare you have or where it is located . If you are unlucky enough to have more than one timeshare you want to cancel, we can also take care of that for you. We can help you get out of timeshares from Wyndham, Bluegreen, Westgate, Diamond Resorts, Holiday Inn Club Vacation, and a wide variety of other companies with the click of a button.
What Else Can DoNotPay Do?
DoNotPay is a fast and easy robot lawyer who can handle many disputes with companies and individuals. In addition to helping you get out of your timeshare, we provide the following services as well:
- We can assist you with other types of contracts.
- We can aid you with privacy concerns.
- We also specialize in helping with a wide variety of other legal matters.