What To Do If Your Guild Wars 2 Account Has Been Hacked
Guild Wars 2 is a game that people pour months and years into to build up their ideal characters and guilds. If your , the impact can be devastating. The hacker might be stealing your well-built character or just logging in to loot everything you've built up. The admins of GW2 are also notoriously slow to respond, even to fully informed ticket reporting hacks and requesting account restoration.
If your Guild Wars 2 account has been hacked, you have more options than just waiting for customer service to respond. DoNotPay can help you take immediate action to have your support ticket processed, your account access returned, and even restore your account to its pre-hacked state.
How to Tell If Your Guild Wars 2 Account Was Hacked
Watch out for these signs to know if your account has been compromised:
- You can no longer log in to your Guild Wars 2 account
- You can log in, but...
- You are repeatedly kicked with an error that your account is already logged in
- You receive an email that your account has been accessed from an unfamiliar location
- You can see an unknown IP address on your Account Security page
- Your friends say you are playing when you're not
- You notice new activity or changes to your account
What to Do If Your Guild Wars 2 Was Hacked
Hacking a Guild Wars 2 account is a multi-step process. First, the hacker must log in, then they can change your login data to lock you out. If you notice the unauthorized login while you are playing or through a new-location email alert, it is possible to take swift action to immediately defend your account from a hacker takeover.
Try to Quickly Secure Your Account
Here's how you would do that:
Step 1: Change your password (to an all-new password)
Step 2: Add or update your 2-factor authentication
Step 3: Change your email password
Step 4: Scan for and remove malware from your computer
Step 5: Change where you store your game serial code or game key to a secure location
Update a Changed Password Using Your Email
What if a hacker has changed your Guild Wars 2 password to lock you out? If they haven't changed the email yet, you can use your email and the "Forgot Password" tool to quickly change the password to something new - a password that hasn't been compromised or used before.
File a Ticket with Guild Wars 2 Customer Service
If your hacked Guild Wars 2 account was fully stolen with a changed email and password before you can take action, the only solution is to file a support ticket.
- Open the Guild Wars 2 Support Ticket page
- Fill out as much information as possible to prove the account belongs to you
- Full name
- Account email
- Guild Wars 2 serial code
- Account display name
- In-game character names
- Billing address
- Date of birth
- SMS authentication phone number
- Explain: how you think the hack might have taken place,
- the messages you've received that alerted you to the hack
- the security measures you've already taken
- Wait for a response, provide further information if asked
The only problem is that Guild Wars 2 admins are notoriously slow to respond. While your account is being hacked, it can take days - even weeks - to hear back on your support ticket. During this time, keep your support ticket number and update it with any new information. Do not start a new ticket or you may be bounced to the back of the queue.
Resetting Your Guild Wars 2 Account After a Hack
One interesting feature of Guild Wars 2 (but not Guild Wars) is that they can restore your account from a previous snapshot. These total-saves of your GW2 account are done periodically.
Once in the lifetime of your account, if approved, your account can be fully rolled-back to before the hacker took over. So if you suffered losses - or even progressed in ways that weren't your legit gameplay, the admins may approve a full restoration of the account before the hack.
However, you only get one and each account reset is on a case-by-case basis. The delay in customer service is also very real. Guild Wars 2 admins are not known for responding quickly to requests, even when time is of the essence.
DoNotPay Can Solve the Hacked Guild Wars 2 Account Problem
Has your ? You don't have to wait for GW2 customer service to spend days getting back to you, DoNotPay can help push your ticket forward and make sure your account is restored before the hacker can do much more damage to your characters, accounts, and guild.
As an online service, we're not limited to the customer service ticket system. We can make sure the main office pays attention to your case and takes immediate action by contacting them directly, not as customers, but as lawyers. Let us defend all your hard work, along with all your invested time and finances, by making sure your hacked Guild Wars 2 account is restored quickly.
How to Recover Your Hacked Account Using DoNotPay:
If you want to recover your gaming account but don't know where to start, DoNotPay has you covered in 3 easy steps:
- Open the Recover Hacked Gaming Account product on DoNotPay and enter the gaming company name.
- Fill in the details of your account, including when it was first created, when it was hacked, whether you still have access, the name of the game, associated usernames, and how much you have paid through this account (if you've paid at all).
- Choose whether you would like us to send the demand letter on your behalf, or just generate a digital copy, and provide your e-signature.
DoNotPay Can Help You Recover Any Hacked Account
Have more of your accounts been recently hacked? DoNotPay can help you recover other hacked accounts, including:
What Else Can DoNotPay Do?
As an online service, DoNotPay can help you take care of many problematic tasks on your to-do list. Here are just a few of the additional things we can do to save you time, money, and headaches this year.
- Appeal a Banned Account
- Copyright Protection
- How to Cancel Any Account
- File a Complaint
- Small Claims Court
Your Guild Wars 2 account represents more than just a gaming account. It's your time, money, and community - and a hacker shouldn't be permitted to steal that from you. DoNotPay can help you restore your GW2 account even if your support ticket goes ignored for days or weeks after you request help from the admins.