Forgot VeraCrypt Password? Here's What to Do Next!
VeraCrypt is a free, open-source disk encryption software, and the only way to decrypt the data is with your password. The entire point of the software is high-level security, so if you , you can't get it back. That means you can't access your encrypted files.
At this point, you can try to crack your own passcode, which could take years. VeraCrypt says:
"We have not implemented any 'backdoor' in VeraCrypt (and will never implement any even if asked to do so by a government agency), because it would defeat the purpose of the software. VeraCrypt does not allow decryption of data without knowing the correct password or key. We cannot recover your data because we do not know and cannot determine the password you chose or the key you generated using VeraCrypt. The only way to recover your files is to try to 'crack' the password or the key, but it could take thousands or millions of years (depending on the length and quality of the password or keyfiles, on the software/hardware performance, algorithms, and other factors)."
However, there are some cases when you may want to change your password, or you know your password is correct, but you cannot gain access. These situations are often frustrating and time-consuming, but you don't have to do it alone. DoNotPay can help you with passwords and more.
How to Attempt to Recover Your VeraCrypt Password On Your Own
You can try to guess your password by entering all the options you can think of, though this can be incredibly time-consuming. To speed it up, there are several brute-force software programs that can attempt to guess your for you. Many of these are free, open-source programs, while others can be quite expensive. They include:
- John the Ripper
- And more
It is illegal to attempt to gain entry to accounts and files that aren't yours, but brute force software can be used on your computer to test your own security or, in this case, regain access to your own personal files or even an account, as long as you own the service or you have permission from the provider. Keep in mind that the longer and stronger your password is, the longer it will take for the software to crack it—if it can do so at all. You still may be looking at months or years before you regain access to your encrypted files.
How to Change Your VeraCrypt Password
You can change your volume password if you know your VeraCrypt password, though your master key will remain the same. This is how to do it:
- Click "Select File" or "Select Device"
- Select the volume
- Select "Change Volume Password" in the "Volumes" menu
- Enter your new password
This is a good idea if you realize your password is weak or may have been compromised for some reason. If you used the same password for multiple accounts, you may want to reset all of those passwords.
How to Reset Passwords With the Help of DoNotPay
DoNotPay lets you recover your password in 6 simple steps:
1. Go to the Recover Passwords product on DoNotPay and select the type of account you are trying to recover, such as email, streaming service, social media, gaming, eCommerce, and more.
2. Tell us more about your account, including usernames and associated emails and phone numbers.
3. Help us verify your account ownership by entering the date you first created the account, when you last logged in, and any payment methods saved under the account.
4. Upload photographic evidence if you have any that can help prove your account ownership.
5. Enter any last known or previously used passwords to help verify your identity.
6. Enter your contact information and submit the task!
Can DoNotPay Help When You Forget Your VeraCrypt Password?
We can contact VeraCrypt on your behalf and help you take the next steps. If you know your password is correct but you aren't being granted access, we can help you get the information you need to troubleshoot the problem.
Our password reset services are fast, efficient, and help reduce the stress associated with trying to answer security questions, remembering old passwords, waiting for password reset emails, and more. By using DoNotPay for your other password-protected accounts, you don't have to worry about remembering so many passwords, leaving you to focus on your VeraCrypt password as the one you simply can't forget. Here are a few of the other websites we can help with:
What Else Can DoNotPay Do?
We offer much more than password assistance. The robot lawyers at DoNotPay can help you with a variety of legal and financial challenges, so you save time, stress, and money. Take a closer look:
- Cancel subscriptions and services
- Sue someone in small claims court
- File a complaint against a company
- File a Freedom of Information Act request
- Convert files
- Receive robocall compensation
- Understand breach of contract or file a demand letter
- And more
Get started with DoNotPay today and discover an easier way to manage some of the issues you may face in daily life.