Getting a Pet License in Cypress, CA
From long walks in the park to driving the freeway together, having a dog can be a lot of fun. It's also a lot of responsibility that goes beyond getting vaccines and making sure your dog doesn't disturb the neighbors by barking. For residents of , a pet license is something you need to get taken care of sooner rather than later.
Why do you need yet another license, however, and how much does it cost? Rather than trying to handle it all by yourself, let DoNotPay help.
What is a Pet License?
Between marriage license, driver's license, and license plates, you're probably wondering what else Orange County can find one for. The answer is a license for your pet.
But what is it and is there a purpose to a pet license beyond costing you more money?
A pet license is simply a way to keep track of which pets have homes and which ones don't. Given the rise of stray dogs and cats, it helps return the pets who do have homes to their rightful place quicker.
Am I Required to Get a Pet License in Cypress?
Some areas make it an option to get a pet license. Cypress, Orange County, is not one of them.
You are required by law to get a pet license for your dog that is age four months or older, and this must be done within 15 days of getting your pet.
How Can I Register My Pet in Cypress?
Registering your pet in is a simple enough process. The problem is remembering to renew, but if you choose to go the DIY route, here are a few methods.
If you have the internet, the online method is the quickest way to go. OC Pet Info is the site you'll need to apply at or renew for your pet license. You can also transfer ownership if you have to give your pet away for any reason.
Mailing in your application is another option, although it can be a little frustrating. You'll have to print it, fill it out, find an envelope and stamps, and then mail it in. If you haven't done this in a while, you may need more than one form, as ink doesn't erase quite as easily as a typo on your computer.
The address to mail it in is:
OC Animal Care, Licensing Department
1630 Victory Road
Tustin, CA 92782
If you want to send an email, the address is ACSLicensing@occr.ocgov.com.
Door to door
Orange County takes getting your pet properly licensed seriously. That's why they're willing to do door-to-door canvassing to help do it in person.
At the current moment, this has been suspended due to COVID-19, but you can keep an eye on the OC Pet Info site to see if it resumes in the future.
How Much Does it Cost to License a Pet in Cypress?
Like most things in life, getting a pet license is going to cost you. How much depends largely on whether your pup is spayed/neutered.
|Dog License Fees|
|Puppy (4 - 6 months)||$28|
|Senior Discount (60+), Spayed/Neutered Dog||$14|
|Late Fee Per Dog||$48|
|Replace Lost Tag||$9|
Reasons to Register Your Pet in Cypress
Is it really that important to get your dog a pet license? While it may be more than a little time-consuming and frustrating, the answer is yes, and here's why.
- Orange County has made it a law, so you're required to do so.
- Losing your dog can be devastating, and may require you to call the local shelters to find it. If they have a pet license, however, the shelter will probably call you first. Animal Control may even bring your pup home.
- Holding dogs at the shelter can be costly, so the time they're kept there is limited. If your dog has a pet license, it'll be kept there longer than a pet that doesn't.
- Your money isn't going into some bureaucrat's pocket. It's going to the shelters to help keep the dogs and cats that come through vaccinated, and help them find good homes as well.
Documents Needed to Register Your Pet in Cypress
There are a few things you'll need to register your pet in Cypress, and this includes:
- Rabies vaccination certificate
- Proof of age if you have a puppy or senior dog
- Proof of sterility if you are applying for the discount
While it would be convenient if the laws were the same for all of Orange County, that's not necessarily the case. If you just moved to Cypress from another part of Orange County, you may want to check the local laws to make sure you're still compliant.
How Long Does the Pet License Last in Cypress?
Your pet license will last up to 12 months from the date it's first issued. The date of the rabies vaccine will affect this, because your license will run out on that date, as opposed to the date of issuance. Once you renew for the first time, this shouldn't be an issue again.
Is There an Easier Way to Get a Pet License in Cypress?
Getting a pet license isn't necessarily that hard, but it can be time-consuming. There's also the issue of having to remember to renew it every year.
If you aren't exactly overflowing with free time or know you won't remember to renew, DoNotPay can do it for you.
How to Save Time Registered Your Pet in Cypress, Orange County using DoNotPay
If you want to Save time registering your pet in Cypress, Orange County but don't know where to start, DoNotPay has you covered 6 easy steps:
- Go to the Pet Licenses product on DoNotPay.
- Enter the county or city you are looking to register your pet in.
- Tell us more about your pet, including the breed, gender, whether they are spayed/neutered, approximate age, and more.
- Upload evidence documents that prove that your pet has been spayed/neutered (if applicable) and a copy of the rabies vaccination certificate.
- Enter your contact information, including email, address, and phone number.
- Complete your application by paying the license processing fee, so we can file the application on your behalf.
Why Use DoNotPay to Register Your Pet in Cypress
- Fast --Sign up doesn't take hours, and you don't need to track down that long-lost document from five years ago.
- Easy --We aren't complicated. Just fill out the application, and you can move on with your life.
- Successful --Getting your pet license isn't an option, so you need to know it'll be taken care of once you do your part. With DoNotPay, you don't have to wonder if your application is sitting on someone's desk, lost and forgotten.
DoNotPay Works Across All Companies/Entities/Groups with the Click of a Button
DoNotPay can register your pet in more places than just Cypress. In fact, we can help register your pet in:
What else can DoNotPay do?
DoNotPay can't do everything. For example, we can't convince your dog that cats are actually really cool, and make good friends. What we can do is:
- Discover and help you apply for scholarships
- Cancel subscriptions
- Help get college fees waived
- Appeal a banned account
- Help with that parking ticket