Get Your Asheville Pet License the Easy Way
Pet lovers everywhere will agree that a cat or dog is more than just an animal you have around your house. It's more like having a best friend for a roommate, only they don't 'borrow' your clothes or talk back during arguments. But what most people don't realize is that enjoying this privilege comes with its own set of responsibilities. In addition to feeding it, washing it, and taking it for occasional walks, the city requires all pet owners to get an .
Part of the reason for this is so that your pet can be easily traced back to you should it ever run away. Sounds simple enough, right? Well, not exactly. The biggest problem comes in purchasing this license. The process often involves a series of protocols that can take forever to achieve.
Fortunately, that is where we come in. Let's look at some of the ways you can obtain your pet license, and how you can do it more simply and efficiently through DoNotPay, the world's first robot lawyer.
How to Get A Pet License in Asheville?
In the city of Asheville, the animal control ordinance demands that you, as a pet owner, purchase a license if your dog reaches six months old (or grows permanent canine teeth). This applies if you plan on keeping your dog in the city for more than 30 days.
You can get an Asheville pet license through 2 main ways:
- By mail
In a bid to increase the efficiency of the licensing process, the city has partnered with PetData, a third-party animal license registration provider, to allow you to submit the application on their online platform. First, though, you'll need to sign up to the platform and enter a bunch of your personal details. After that, you'll need to scan and upload all the required documents.
The documents usually include two primary pieces:
- Proof that your dog has had a rabies vaccination
- Proof that your pet has been neutered or spayed. This one is optional, though the license will cost you less if you can provide this proof.
Even once you are finished with the application, chances are you won't get your license immediately. With some of these online sites, it can take weeks or even months to get a response. If you want your license immediately, we recommend you check out DoNotPay. Not only is it more straightforward and less demanding, but it works significantly faster than the alternative.
Send the Application Through Mail
While dog licenses are not issued in person anymore, the city of Asheville still accepts applications made through the mail. To get your license, you need to send all the required documents and certificates accompanied by money order or check to pay for the license.
The problem with mail is that there's always the risk of losing your documents in transit. Still, if this is your preferred means, make sure to send all copies of the required documentation together. In most cases, it's hard to get back anything once sent, so you'll want to keep the original documents yourself.
How Much Does It Cost to License a Pet in Asheville?
The cost of licensing your pet in Asheville mainly depends on two things: how old your pet is, and whether it has been neutered or spayed. This will determine whether you can get an altered or unaltered permit.
- Altered permit - This is the permit issued for pets that have been neutered or spayed. The standard fee for an altered pet permit in Asheville is $10.00. The city requires that the license tag and rabies tag is displayed on the dog all the time.
- Unaltered permit - For dog owners who choose not to neuter or spay their pet, you'll need to get an unaltered permit. This will cost you a $100 lifetime fee for each animal.
|Annual License for Spayed/Neutered Dog||$10|
|First Replacement Tag*||Free|
|Additional Replacement Tags||$5|
If you choose to spay or neuter your dog, you'll incur an additional cost. According to the ASPCA Spay/Neuter Alliance, this will be approximately as follows:
- Male and female dogs - $65
- Female cat - $50
- Male cat - $35
- Microchip - $5
Optional Canine Vaccines
- DA2PP (distemper) - $15
- Bordetella (kennel cough) -$15
Optional Feline Vaccines
- FVRCP (distemper/upper respiratory)- $15
Why Is It Important to Register Your Pet in Asheville?
Like most states, it is mandatory to register your pet in Asheville. If you fail to get a pet license, you'll be liable to a fine of up to $200. Besides it being a legal requirement, however,z there are a couple of reasons why you should register a pet
- Locate your pet when it goes missing - The license tag will help shelters and animal control get your dog or cat back to you. If found wandering the streets, rescue organizations will be able to look it up through its license identifying number. Also, if your pet is licensed, it is less likely to be euthanized if not immediately claimed at the shelter.
- It proves that your pet is safe - Usually, your pet will have to be vaccinated first for it to be licensed. With such proof of safety, good Samaritans or Animal control will be more willing to care for and shelter it.
- Licensing helps support local animal shelters - A fair sum of the annual fee you pay will go towards helping animal shelters house and feed stray dogs in the streets. Likewise, your dog will benefit from this should it ever go astray.
How Long Does the Pet License Last In Asheville?
Your standard pet license will last 1 year and is to be renewed every January 1st. However, if you are purchasing the unaltered animal permit in Asheville, your one-time fee of $100 is good for your dog's entire lifetime.
Get Your Pet License In 6 Easy Steps Using DoNotPay
As we've seen, you can either get your license by mail or online. However, it can be pretty daunting doing it yourself. You have to go through the process of signing in to an unfamiliar site, figure out how to navigate it, and send your documents, all followed by an indefinite wait time.
You can save yourself all this trouble and do it the easy way through DoNotPay, the world's first robot lawyer. With DoNotPay, the whole process boils down to a few simple steps:
1. Go to the Pet Licenses product on DoNotPay.
2. Enter the county or city you are looking to register your pet in.
3. Tell us more about your pet, including the breed, gender, whether they are spayed/neutered, approximate age, and more.
4. Upload evidence documents that prove that your pet has been spayed/neutered (if applicable) and a copy of the rabies vaccination certificate.
5. Enter your contact information, including email, address, and phone number.
6. Complete your application by paying the license processing fee, so we can file the application on your behalf.
Why Use DoNotPay to License Your Pet?
If you've ever made an application online, you probably know how stressful and uncertain it can be. Often it involves a series of failed attempts and errors uploading documents, not to mention forgotten passwords and login credentials. With DoNotPay, you don't have to worry about any of this.
DoNoPay differentiates itself from other complicated online platforms in three ways:
- Fast - The robot lawyer does everything for you, saving you trips to the post office.
- Easy - It is also simple to use. You only need to follow the steps above and wait for your license.
- Reliable - With DoNotPay, you can rest assured knowing that the robot lawyer will take care of everything and deliver your license without fail.
Where Else Can You Use DoNotPay to License Your Pet?
Beyond Asheville, DoNotPay's services are accessible in many other locations countrywide:
- King County
- LA County
- Pierce County
- Orange County
- Washington State
- Maricopa County
- City of Houston
What Else Can DoNotPay Help With?
DoNotPay doesn't just deal with matters of pet licensing. It can handle for you practically any other legal matter:
- Appealing for banned accounts
- Settling parking tickets
- Discovering and applying for scholarships
- Applying for tourist visas
- Opening warranty claims
- Filling insurance claims
Takeaway: DoNotPay Can Help
There you have it, folks. As you've seen, might seem complicated, but it doesn't have to be. Using DoNotPay, simply follow the steps above and let our service take care of the rest. So what are you waiting for? Visit DoNotPay today, and get your pet license in a breeze!