How to Fight US Bank Debit Card Foreign Transaction Fees with DoNotPay
Debit cards are much more convenient than carrying around wads of cash, especially when traveling abroad. Unfortunately, most banks charge foreign transaction fees, which can add up quickly. If you'd like to fight your US Bank debit card foreign , you can do so quickly and easily with DoNotPay.
Stop paying your hard-earned money to large banking firms for bogus fees. Sign up for DoNotPay today, and see how the world's first robot lawyer can help you get the most done in the least amount of time.
US Bank Debit Card Foreign Transaction Fee Policy
If you have a US Bank checking account and a debit card linked to it, you can use your card at various ATMs and institutions in other countries. The bad news is that when you do use your US Bank debit card, you up to 3% of the transaction amount with each transaction. If you use your US Bank debit card to withdraw money, pay at restaurants, and book a hotel room, you may rack up hundreds of dollars in foreign transaction fees.
US Bank has the same policy for all of its debit and credit card types, so you are better off withdrawing a large sum of cash or obtaining a card that offers no foreign transaction fees when traveling abroad.
Why Does US Bank Charge Foreign Transaction Fees?
There are three general reasons:
Converting currency can cost the bank small sums of money, so they pass that cost onto consumers. Foreign transaction fees for customers are typically charged as a percentage of the purchase or transaction, which often allows the bank to make far more on foreign transaction fees than they spent converting the currency. Like all other fees charged by banks, it's simply a way for them to stay profitable.
Fighting US Bank Debit Card Foreign Transaction Fees On Your Own
If you were charged foreign transaction fees while you were abroad, you can attempt to get waived by following these steps:
- Call the US Bank customer service line
- Explain that you would like the foreign transaction fees waived
- Remind the customer service agent that you have been a loyal customer with US Bank for years
- Politely suggest that you may take your business elsewhere
- Hope that they can offer you a waiver on your foreign transaction fees
When attempting to get foreign transaction fees waived:
- It's best to remain calm and cool, treating the customer service agent respectfully the whole time.
- Your agent may be able to waive your foreign transaction fees, but this won't work every time you try it.
- Best case scenario: It’s always better to sign up for and use a debit or credit card that does not charge foreign transaction fees, as the odds of you getting them waived on your own are slim.
If you'd rather not talk on the phone, you can also try sending a letter to your local US Bank branch. Unfortunately, this has a very low success rate.
Letting DoNotPay Fight Your Us Bank Debit Card Foreign Transaction Fees For You
If you would rather not spend your free time fighting banks to get foreign transaction fees waived on your behalf, you can let DoNotPay do it for you with just a few simple steps:
- Open the DoNotPay Fight Bank Fees product.
- Enter the name of your bank.
- Verify the last 4 digits of your bank account.
- Choose which fees you want to waive, including overdraft, ATM, and transaction fees.
And that's it. Once your request is submitted, DoNotPay will get to work on it right away.
Why Use DoNotPay To Fight US Bank Debit Card Foreign Transaction Fees?
DoNotPay makes fighting debit card transaction fees fast, easy, and successful. You just enter a few key pieces of information that takes a couple of minutes using the DoNotPay app or website, and DoNotPay will make the absolute best case for you with your debit card company. DoNotPay’s artificial intelligence technology knows how to generate demand letters and communicate all of the proper information to banks, making it far more likely that you will get your foreign transaction fees waived.
DoNotPay has already helped thousands of customers get their own debit card and foreign transaction fees waived, and it can do the same for you. DoNotPay can also help you get overdraft, wire transfer, account holding, and many more common bank fees waived for you too.
What Other Tasks Can DoNotPay Help Me With?
Besides fighting your foreign transaction fees, there are dozens of other functions DoNotPay can perform on your behalf, including:
- Obtaining burner phones
- Fighting property taxes
- Appealing banned accounts
- Appealing parking tickets in any city
- Connecting with prisoners
- Filing a formal complaint
- Deleting your Instagram account
- And so much more.
If you're ready to delegate some of your least favorite tasks to artificial intelligence, visit DoNotPay today to see what it can do for you.