How to Request Ochsner Medical Records
The Ochsner Health network is a non-profit, multi-specialty healthcare system that provides high-quality clinical and hospital care to patients throughout Louisiana, Mississippi, and areas of the Gulf South. Ochsner features a best-in-class electronic medical records platform that enables providers to share and collaborate inpatient care, as well as easily communicate with other parties involved in the patient's care.
Your electronic medical records contain a multitude of sensitive medical information. For this reason, the federal government enacted the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA). HIPAA ensures your records are protected from unauthorized parties while granting you the right to request copies as well as designating others access to the information.
There will be times when it's necessary to request copies of your medical records. This article will describe how to access your when those occasions arise. You can also bypass the account setup process through DoNotPay's innovative three-step process that will gain access to your records quickly.
Why You Would Need Your Ochsner Medical Records
There are several reasons why you would need to request access to your
- Establishing care with a new medical provider.
- You want to check your records for any errors or inaccuracies.
- You're compiling a family medical history.
- Health insurance companies need the records to determine eligibility and premiums.
- For your own personal medical record keeping.
What Information in the Medical Record is Legally Restricted From Release?
HIPAA ensures you and your appointed representatives have access to your records upon request. However, there may be components of the record that providers are not legally required to disclose, such as
- Psychotherapy notes from private counseling sessions which, if released, may compromise patient safety.
- Medical data are specific to the hospital, such as that used in quality assessments, peer reviews, and patient safety records.
- Records contain data that is a part of ongoing research.
- Information on third parties in the records could pose legal issues if released.
How to Access Your Ochsner Medical Records
Ochsner requires the patient's written authorization to obtain a copy of your medical records. The authorization can be downloaded from Ochsner's list of medical centers. Clicking on any of the listed center locations will allow you to download the form. Complete all fields and mail the form to the center where you were seen. Each center's mailing address and phone number are included on the authorization form.
For MyOchsner users, you can log into your account to view, download, print, and request your medical records. If you are a new user, you can sign up for account access by clicking Sign up now under New User? However, you must first apply for an activation code. This can be done by clicking Sign up online under No Activation Code? Complete the information as prompted.
To obtain your Release of Information Form here are the Ochsner Health locations you can contact.
|Ochsner Medical Center (Jefferson Highway)
|Ochsner Medical Center - Baton Rouge
|225-236 - 5469 or 225-761-5939
|Ochsner Medical Center - Kenner
|Ochsner Medical Center - North Shore (Slidell)
|Ochsner Medical Center - Hancock
|Ochsner St. Anne Hospital
|Ochsner Medical Center - West Bank
|Ochsner St. Mary
How Long Are My Ochsner Medical Records Available For?
- Both the states of Mississippi and Louisiana, where Ochsner medical centers are located, require that medical records be kept for 10 years from the day adult patients are discharged.
- Mississippi state law requires that records be retained for at least seven years after a patient's death. Records for minors are required to be kept for the period they are minors plus seven additional years, or 28 years in total, whichever is less.
What is the Cost of Receiving Ochsner Medical Record Copies?
There is no charge to have your records forwarded to other hospitals and physicians. However, there is a fee to receive your copies, Ochsner charges the following for medical record copies:
- The first 50 pages are available for no charge when picked up at the office.
- For 51 pages and up, there is a flat fee of $6.50 plus tax for office pick up.
- Electronically delivered records via email or CD are $6.50 plus tax and postage.
- Mailed copies for any number of pages are $6.50 plus tax and postage.
How DoNotPay Can Help You Obtain Your Ochsner Medical Records
Between registering for online accounts and filling out authorization forms, it can be a time-consuming and tedious experience asking for access to your medical records. However, with the help of DoNotPay, you can access your records in much less time. Here's how to get started:
- Look up medical records on DoNotPay's website.
- Enter the name of the health care provider you'd like to receive medical records from.
- Answer a few questions about your provider and where you'd like to send the records.
In addition to helping you obtain your Ochsner medical records, DoNotPay can assist you in accessing medical records from other providers including Kaiser Permanente, Mercy Hospital, Baptist Health, Cleveland Clinic, and many more.
Why You Should Use DoNotPay to Access Your Medical Records
- It's Easy - Medical centers require you to establish online accounts and fill out tedious authorization forms to access your medical records. With DoNotPay, you can request access to your records with just three easy steps.
- It's Fast - DoNotPay's process of requesting medical records access is much faster than if you were to do it yourself.
- It's Successful - DoNotPay uses a proven, successful method to assist you in obtaining your medical record copies.
What Else Can DoNotPay Do?
In addition to helping you obtain copies of your medical records, DoNotPay also has solutions including the following:
- Help with bills
- Jump the phone queue for any company
- Dealing with parking tickets
- Credit card issues
- Warranty claims
- Finding unclaimed money
- Appeal banned accounts
- Cancel any service or subscription
- City repairs
- Use a fake phone number
These are just a few of the many ways DoNotPay cuts through the red tape to save you money and time. Instead of searching through endless websites with lengthy instructions and applications, DoNotPay streamlines the information you need to solve your problems quickly and easily.