How To File a Rock-Solid EOIR FOIA Request
The Department of Justice’s Executive Office for Immigration Review (EOIR) gathers records related to immigration matters that can be of interest to a lot of people. If you wish to access records from this agency, you can send an EOIR FOIA request. The easiest way to do this is DoNotPay!
How To Submit an EOIR FOIA Request by Yourself
The Freedom of Information Act allows everyone to access information from EOIR. If the info you are looking for can’t be found online, you may proceed with the requesting process. You can send an EOIR FOIA request on your own in a couple of ways. Take a look at the table below to see your options:
|Can You File an EOIR FOIA Request Via?||Yes/No|
You won’t be able to find a FOIA request template for EOIR, and you’ll need to write the letter by yourself. It would also be smart to first see if the info you’re looking for is a part of FOIA exemptions and whether you have the right to access it in the first place.
How To File an EOIR FOIA Request via Mail
You can send a FOIA request to EOIR by mail. Follow these directions:
- Write the request
- Include the reason for writing
- Say whether you are looking for info about yourself or another person
- Add the information you have—aliases, alien registration number, immigration hearing location, etc.
- Send the request to Office of the General Counsel Attn: FOIA Service Center, Executive Office for Immigration Review, 5107 Leesburg Pike, Suite 2150, Falls Church, VA 22041
How To File an EOIR FOIA Request via Email
To send an EOIR FOIA request via email, heed these instructions:
- Compose the request letter
- Include all the required contact information
- Include relevant details for a better search (aliases, alien numbers, etc.)
- Add the form DOJ-361, Certification of Identity if you are searching for info about yourself
- Attach a written consent if you are requesting info about someone else
- Send the email to EOIR.FOIARequests@usdoj.gov
DoNotPay Can Assist You With Sending an EOIR FOIA Request
DoNotPay offers the fastest way of submitting your FOIA request to EOIR. The procedure is straightforward, and you only need to follow these five steps:
- Access DoNotPay from your web browser
- Locate and open the FOIA feature
- Say that you want to send a request to a federal agency
- Type in EOIR as the name of the agency
- Inform us if you’d like to ask for a fee waiver
DoNotPay will handle the rest of the process. We will compose the request form and send it to EOIR.
EOIR FOIA Status Check—How Long Does the Process Take?
EOIR has 20 working days to determine whether they want to process the request. This time may be prolonged if there is a need to:
- Search and gather information from a field office
- Look for and collect voluminous records
- Consult within the agency or between more agencies
To check the status of your EOIR FOIA request, you’ll need to call (703) 605-1297. Ask to talk to the FOIA Public Liaison or the FOIA Specialist assigned to you.
How Much Does It Cost To Request Records From EOIR?
Most EOIR requests do not require any fees (there is no charge for the first 100 pages of reproduction and two hours of research). After that you’ll need to pay:
- $.05 per page
- $4.75 (administrative) and $10 (professional) research services
In case the fees are more than $25 in total, the agency will let you know before the request is processed. You first have to agree to pay, or EOIR will not show you the requested records.
Can You Appeal Your EOIR FOIA Request?
You have the option of filing an appeal in case you are not satisfied with the results EOIR provided you with. To appeal the request, you’ll need to get in touch with the Office of Information Policy (OIP), United States Department of Justice.
Send the appeal to this address: Office of Information Policy (OIP), United States Department of Justice, 6th Floor, 441 G Street, NW, Washington, DC 20530. You need to act on this decision within 90 days of the date of EOIR’s FOIA response.
Can You Request Expedited Processing?
Sometimes you can ask for FOIA expedited processing. You can have your EOIR FOIA request expedited if you prove that you need it because:
- There’s a threat to the life or physical safety of a person
- Of an urgency to inform the public about actual or alleged Federal Government activity
- Of a loss of substantive due process rights
- It is a matter of media interest regarding the government’s integrity, which may affect public confidence
DoNotPay can also help you request expedited processing in only a few clicks. You only need to check this option in our questionnaire.
Use DoNotPay To Send FOIA Requests to Various Agencies
If you are looking for federal records from other agencies, you can check our guides for numerous other options:
- Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC)
- Central Intelligence Agency (CIA)
- United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)
- Internal Revenue Service (IRS)
- Food and Drug Administration (FDA)
- Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI)
Keep Your Money in Your Pocket and Save Time
Fend Off Scammers With DoNotPay’s Help
Are you sick of having a cluttered inbox or getting robocalls? So are the majority of Americans. If you want to get rid of email spam, text message spam, or annoying robocalls, DoNotPay can help you put a stop to them once and for all.