Which Car Rental Elite Status Can Get You Better Upgrades?
Rental cars are the common transportation method for US vacationers flying into a different town or spur of the moment road trips. However, renting a car is a major expense, but understanding how to get free upgrades can help you get more bang for your buck. For frequent car renters, the question is not how to get the car rental upgrade but . The research to find the best deal can be time-consuming. Therefore, let DoNotPay help you get free car rental upgrades without the hassle.
While you can always ask for a free additional driver or get your spouse added as a driver for free with your car rental, getting model upgrades can be more difficult to snag. DoNotPay's Rental Car Upgrade product makes getting an elite status upgrade simple, even if you've already booked your car rental.
Snag the Best Upgrade on Your Rental Car with Elite Status
There are many ways to reach car rental elite status for better vehicle upgrades. From joining loyalty programs from rental car companies, such as Avis rental upgrades, to coupon codes to taking advantage of club memberships, such as Costco's car rental upgrades, to showing common courtesy to the agent, getting elite benefits with your next car rental starts by asking.
Comparing Car Rental Elite Status between Major Company Reward Programs
Signing up for a car rental reward program is a no-brainer to save time and money for your car rentals. While you often score member-only deals on rentals and convenient perks by joining their loyalty program, you usually earn points for free rentals and upgrades. If you are curious about which car rental elite status has the better upgrades, refer to the quick overview of each program below.
- Avis Preferred Plus: Reserved for those who complete 12 rentals or spend $5,000 in a calendar year.
- Expedited services and skip the counter.
- Exclusive monthly offers
- Earn 25%-50% more points for every qualifying dollar spent
- Complimentary upgrades without even asking (when available)
- Enterprise: The free Plus membership gets you started toward earning elite status with every qualifying rental. For those reserving over five rentals, you will be upgraded to Silver, Gold, or Platinum to earn additional bonus points and one, two, or four free car upgrades each year.
- Hertz Gold Plus Rewards: The two elite status tiers for the program are Five Star (12 rentals or $2,400 yearly spend) and President's Club (20 rentals or $4,000 yearly spend). Both allow you to earn points for free rentals and the ability to transfer points to spouses or domestic partners. However, President's Club gives you guaranteed upgrades with each vehicle rental and gives you the widest selection of choices.
- National Emerald Club: The Emerald Club Executive (12 paid rentals or 40 paid rental days in a calendar year) and Emerald Club Executive Elite (25 paid rentals or 85 paid rental days in a calendar year) are the two tiers of the program's elite status to get you better car rental upgrades.
- Get faster free rental days
- Executive area access for renting a full-size and above car at the midsize rate in US and Canada
- Guaranteed upgrades with midsize rentals in US and Canada
- Elite Status guarantees you up to a full-size vehicle with 24-hour notice when reserving with the midsize rate in US and Canada
- Elite also gives private airport delivery of your rental at most airports within 50 miles of the rental facility in the US and Canada
- Sixt: The company's Sixt Cards program allows elite status upgrades with as few as 3 rentals. The three elite tiers are Gold (3 rentals), Platinum (10 rentals), and the exclusive, invitation-only Diamond. Each provides exclusive offers, discounts, a birthday surprise, and a free additional driver with US rentals. However, Diamond gives you the most benefit by also including:
- Guaranteed free upgrades
- Diamond lounge access and VIP service
Credit Cards with Car Rental Elite Status
Using your credit card can get you free car rental upgrades and elite benefits to enjoy driving a better rental for your vacation or business trip. While the rental car perks vary by credit card and rental company, having a premium credit card often results in automatic elite status without the hassle of earning points. Start enjoying elite status benefits with your next car rental just by using one of these cards.
- Platinum Card from American Express
- Chase Sapphire Reserve
- United Club Infinite or United Mileage Plus Presidential Plus
- U.S. Bank Altitude Reserve Visa Infinite
- Eligible World Elite Mastercards
How to Use Your Elite Status to Get Free Car Rental Upgrades
Now that you know which programs and credit cards provide the elite status benefits, you can begin getting upgrades with your next car rental.
- Research to find the companies offering elite status benefits on rental cars.
- Determine if you qualify for a free upgrade with elite status.
- Use one of the above-mentioned credit cards to receive free rental car upgrades when reserving a rental.
- Become a rental car company loyalty member to earn elite status and receive complimentary upgrades.
- Call to request elite status upgrades after booking your vehicle rental.
- Ask at the counter about upgrading your rental when picking up your rental car.
- Haggle to get a better upgrade without the premium price.
It can be a struggle to get an upgrade from an old Honda Civic to a new BMW, but with elite status, it is an upgrade you deserve. However, spending hours on hold to ask for the free upgrade or standing in line on pick-up day are wasted time that could've been spent road-tripping. Luckily, DoNotPay makes getting car rental elite status easy in less time. With the click of a button, we'll find the better upgrade that you're eligible for and negotiate the free rental model upgrade on your behalf.
Decide the better car rental upgrade for your needs with the help of DoNotPay
The large selection of car rental elite statuses can be overwhelming to decide the best option for getting better upgrades on your rental. DoNotPay makes finding a car rental elite status with a better upgrade for your trip quick and easy. You'll save research time, hours spent on hold trying to contact the rental company yourself, and enjoy a free rental model upgrade to make your travel experience special. We understand the struggles of asking for a free rental car upgrade and contact the car rental company on your behalf to negotiate better vehicle upgrades that will be applied when you pick up the rental.
How to get better upgrades on your reservation using DoNotPay:
If you want to get a free upgrade on your reservation but don't know where to start, DoNotPay has you covered in 4 easy steps:
- Choose which rental company you booked with.
- Enter your reservation confirmation number.
- Tell us the details of your reservation, such as the pick-up date, pick-up location, car model, etc.*
- Indicate whether you are a rewards member or special credit card holder.
DoNotPay helps create better travel experiences by getting the free car rental upgrades you deserve. Contact us to find the car rental elite status you're entitled to and enjoy better upgrades, from having more legroom to cruising in luxury.
Rental Car Upgrade Guide by Company
If you're curious about the best practices for snagging an upgrade for each car rental company, check out our convenient guides below.