What's the Fine for Disobeying a Traffic Control Device in NY?
2019 witnessed 41 out of 195 licensed US drivers getting a driving citation. That implies the probability of getting a traffic ticket is 1 in 5.
New York and other US states make a lot of money from speeding and traffic fines! Failure to obey traffic control devices NY fine may sit anywhere between $90 and $600 if it's your first time being convicted of speeding violence.
But don't fret. DoNotPay can help you appeal a traffic ticket in NY or not pay it altogether.
What Are Traffic Control Devices?
Disobeying traffic control devices is very common that it is the second most ticketed issue in the state. According to the New York Vehicle and Traffic Law 153 traffic control devices are placed for the purpose of “regulating, warning, or guiding traffic.” They can be signs, can be markings, signals, signs or devices, such as the following:
- Stop signs
- Traffic lights
- Speed limit signs
- Yield signs
- Edge and lane lines
- ‘Keep right/left’ signs
- ‘Do not enter’ signs
- ‘Do not pass’ signs
- ‘One way’ signs
- ‘No turn’ signs
- ‘No U-turn’ signs
- ‘No turn on red’ signs
- Lane use control lights
Vehicle and Traffic Law 1110 covers the rules on obedience to traffic control devices.
What Are the Penalties for Disobeying a Traffic Control Device?
Disobeying a traffic control device violation in New York will hit you a total fine of $235.00. You will also get 2 points against your driving record.
Moreover, if you accumulate 11 points on your license within an 18-month period, your license can get suspended.
Your insurance rates may also go up. The New York Vehicle & Traffic Law Section 2335, allows insurance companies to increase their insurance rates if their client has “two or more moving violations”. If you already have one violation, disobeying a traffic control device can cause you to pay higher insurance rates.
Paying Your NY Traffic Ticket
You can pay for your ticket online, in-person, or by mail.
|Online||NY Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) online transactions make everything a breeze:
|Mail / Office||You can go to a TVB location or mail your payment via:
Traffic Violations Plea Unit
PO Box 2950-ESP
Albany, NY 12220-0950
Call 1-718-488-5710 between 8 am and 4 pm Monday through Friday for further guidance.
How to Request Traffic School in NY
You can grab a New York DMV-approved defensive driving course (Point Insurance Reduction Program or PIRP) to clean your record. It offers ticketed drivers an opportunity to avoid traffic ticket penalties and points.
To request for NY Traffic Diversion Program:
- Apply to your county officials at a fee
- The officials will determine whether you're eligible. Here, factors like your driving record and the severity of your traffic violation will come into play
- Once the county approves your application, it'll notify the court, which will, in turn, postpone the case for 30 days
- You'll get an approval email allowing you to complete a defensive driving school or Internet PIRP.
- At the end of the course, you'll get a completion certificate
- After receiving the certificate, the county will inform the court to cancel the prosecution
Processing periods and fees may go up for suspended licenses.
Is Fighting a Traffic Ticket in NY Worth The Hassle?
The answer is a resounding YES!
If you proceed to pay the fine right away, you've admitted that you violated traffic rules. This action forever denies you the chance to defend yourself and stay clear of the undesirable consequences of traffic tickets on your record.
The traffic ticket fine is just the tip of the iceberg:
- Your insurance company will consider you as a high-risk driver
- Repeat offenses on your record can lead to more severe legal penalties and consequences in the future
- You may lose out on job opportunities that demand clean records
- Admitting guilt for most offenses increases points on your license. You risk license suspension if the points total 11 within 1 ½ year.
Should I Hire an Attorney to Contest Traffic Tickets?
Engaging the services of an attorney sounds wise. However, a good lawyer will cost anywhere from $100 to more than $1000.
Thanks to our much cheaper, fast, and easy-to-use DoNotPay app, you don't need a professional lawyer to ensure the ticket gets voided.
But if you decide to go ahead and hire a lawyer, here are our hacks and tips:
- Do your due diligence on all potential professionals, their pricing, and credentials. Many hawk-eyed frauds are out there looking for the next victim to scam.
- Ensure the attorney knows their trade-in unraveling cases involving parking violations. After all, your current pain point is in that field.
- Determine the expenses. The legal fees should be higher than the fine you're fighting against
How to Dispute My Traffic Ticket in NY
Should you fight a charge of disobeying traffic control devices in NY? Considering the consequences that can come with such a charge, it is worth it.
The trick is to request a hearing within 30 days–you don't want to pay late penalties.
1. By Mail
Yes, you can opt for snail mail if you're patient enough. Here are the steps:
- On the back of the ticket, check off the reason you believe you're innocent
- Attach a letter explaining why the court should find you not guilty
- Do you have any evidence to support your explanations? Attach it too.
- Mail your dispute to
NYC Department of Finance
Hearings By Mail Unit
PO Box 29021
Cadman Plaza Station
Brooklyn, NY 11202-9021
Remember to keep records and copies of everything you sent.
You can Walk into any Finance Business Center to dispute the ticket on a first-come, first-served basis. The doors are open from Monday through Friday between 8:30 am and 4:30 pm. You don't need to make a prior appointment and you don’t need to have a lawyer with you.
Make sure to bring pieces of evidence: Vehicle registration, rental agreement (for rented cars), and driver's license. The judge will make a decision immediately when your visit ends.
3. Online and Mobile App
Welcome the convenience that the internet offers! The DOF will receive your request and place the ticket on hold. After about 10 days, the decision will land in your email inbox.
You can take your internet game higher by downloading the NYC Dispute or P-Ticket App. It allows you to dispute traffic violations or pay fines securely.
- After submitting your request, a confirmation email will land back.
- The Administrative Law Judge will then send an email telling you whether there will be a hearing based on your explanation, ticket, and evidence.
- The court will mail the judge's decision to the email you provided.
- If they require more information, use the above mail address to send it.
Contest Traffic Tickets in NY in Less Than 2 Minutes
DoNotPay is an artificially intelligent bot that does the dirty work of challenging traffic tickets. In fact, a Guardian report reveals that DoNotPay successfully contested 160,000 parking tickets in NY and London within 21 months.
Yours can be next!
- Log-in to DoNotPay and go to the Ticket Disputes category. Select the correct product based on your traffic ticket.
- Upload a photo of your citation.
- Provide us with some details on why you believe the citation issued is a mistake.
- Select whether or not you want the letter mailed to the traffic ticket issuer on your behalf!
- That’s it! You’ll receive an appeal letter that contains state vehicle codes to boost your case.
It’s as easy as pie! Expect the ticket issuer to respond as soon as possible to discover whether you're successful.
What Else Can DoNotPay Do for You?
You now know how to fight against those sneaky NY traffic tickets fast at a cheaper rate. Why don't you try us today? Here are some more resources that can help:
- What happens if you plead not guilty to a traffic ticket?
- Contending with LA traffic tickets
- Handling Las Vegas traffic ticket fines
- Dealing with California traffic tickets