How to Get My Sharp Chula Vista Medical Records
Named for Donald Sharp, a veteran who gave his life protecting his country in 1944, Sharp Health has expanded from a single, stand-alone facility to now covering the entire San Diego County area with four acute care hospitals, three specialty hospitals, three affiliated medical groups, and over 19,000 employees. Sharp Chula Vista offers a variety of specialized care in addition to round-the-clock emergency care. If you have been a patient of and want to get copies of your medical records, DoNotPay can help.
And with DoNotPay, you can request your medical records in three easy steps!
Why Do I Need My Medical Records?
There are a number of reasons why you may need copies of your medical records. By law, the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996, often referred to by the acronym HIPAA, you are entitled to have copies of your own medical records. Some common reasons are:
- You are changing doctors.
- If your doctor is retiring, it is always a good idea to get copies of your records before he leaves the practice. You may not have ready access if he closes his office or another practice takes over.
- You are moving out of the area, or out of state. Once you move out of the area, you may have a difficult time getting your records sent in a timely manner. If you already have a doctor, you can have your records sent there. If not, have the records sent directly to you.
- You are traveling.
- When being sent to a specialist, getting a second opinion, or if you just are not happy with your current medical care, having your medical records may help you avoid having duplicate tests or procedures.
- If you are moving to an assisted living or nursing care, you may want to have copies of your records so that your caregivers, and you have a complete picture of your health history.
- If your family is helping you make health care decisions, is providing care or medication, or you just want a complete record to have when needed. Electronic files are particularly useful and easy to have access to at all times.
- If you want to update your health records.
Can I Get My Sharp Chula Vista Medical Records on My Own?
Sure you can! Because it's the law, medical centers and hospitals are required to send your medical records when you request them. However, that doesn't always mean it is easy or fast. Each hospital has its own procedures for having access to your records.
Some hospitals charge a fee, others do not. It is not illegal for them to charge a fee to cover their costs. To get your Sharp Chula Vista Medical Records on your own, follow these steps:
- Go on the Sharp website and choose your location.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on Medical Records.
- Some of your records may be contained on the FollowMyHealth account. If you have access, sign in and see if the information is there. If you do not have access, there is a link that gives you instructions on how to gain access.
- If you need additional information, you will need to download their Authorization for Use of Disclosure of Protected Health Information.
You will need to print the form and fill it out with the following information:
- Name, phone number, date of birth
- Which facility treated you
- Where to send the records
- Type of information you are requesting
- Why do you need the information
- It must be signed and dated
- Either mail, fax, or email your request to the addresses and numbers provided.
- You have the option of having the records:
- Mailed on CD
- Printed and mailed
- Electronic transmission, either encrypted or unencrypted
- Have them printed, and you can pick them up.
- You could be charged for processing, mailing, or other fees.
Sharp Chula Vista Medical Records Contact Information
When requesting medical records from Sharp Chula Vista, you will need this contact information:
|Sharp Central Records Room
Attn: SHC Medical Records
8080 Dagget St., Suite 110
San Diego, CA 92111
How Can DoNotPay Get My Medical Records?
If you don't have the time to go to the website, print off the forms, send them to the correct location, or run to the post office, DoNotPay is there for you!
We can make it quick, easy, and take away the stress of going through all those steps!
In fact, with DoNotPay's Request Medical Records product, we can help you in just three easy steps. All you have to do is answer a few easy questions, and we do all the rest.
How to request medical records using DoNotPay:
DoNotPay has seen these requests before and knows how to write your health care provider a simple, clear, and effective letter that will get your legally-guaranteed health records for you in no time.
- Look up medical records on DoNotPay’s website.
- Enter the name of the health care provider you’d like to receive medical records from.
- Answer a few questions about your provider and where you’d like to send the records.
That's all there is to it! DoNotPay will process your request and send a letter to your health care provider. In a few weeks, you should have your records!