Are You Entitled to Compensation After an RGE Power Outage?
That's up to you and how you file your claim. When you've experienced losses after an , you have an uphill battle if you want to fight for the compensation you deserve. You have to think like a lawyer or even have one on your side to get around the red tape.
Most of us don't have the time or the patience to haggle with utility companies when we're owed a refund, reimbursement, or credit, and the thought of hiring an attorney might seem like overkill. But how about your very own "AI Consumer Champion"? That's what DoNotPay is. We can make it worthwhile and easy to file a claim for damages after an RGE power outage.
What Causes Power Outage?
There are several causes of an . Some of these are:
|Strong winds, lightning, snow, ice on the lines, and rain can cause a power outage. A tree branch contacting power lines is an addition.
|Not every time a piece of equipment can do its job perfectly. It requires maintenance and repairs once broken. It includes problems with switches, cables, transformers, etc.
|There are times when we unintentionally contact power lines causing power outages. Examples are traffic accidents and placing an antenna near a power cable.
|Part of maintaining the safety and performance of equipment is maintenance. Sometimes scheduled maintenance is needed to avoid accidents in the future.
How Power Companies Claim They're Not Liable for Outage Damages
When you read the fine print on your service agreement, you might be surprised to learn the conditions in which your power utility states that it is not responsible for damages. You might think, "there's no point in trying to claim at all," but in reality, these conditions are there to scare you off.
- Weather damage
- Animal interference with equipment
- Wildfire damage
- Shutoffs to prevent damage in storms or heatwaves
- Damage incurred during construction (either by a third party or their line crews)
RGE and its parent company, AVANGRID, encourage customers to seek compensation through their own property insurance companies, but high deductibles can make that route impractical. So don't give up.
Power Companies Expect Customers to Be Prepared for Outages
We all know that it's necessary to keep batteries in key places in our homes and offices, and regularly replace them with fresh batteries. This allows us to "hunker down" and avoid injuries. But battery-operated lighting doesn't keep us in business, and if we live in a populated area, home and office backup generators are usually impractical and unsafe—and possibly illegal.
Yet power companies have a certain expectation that customers stay prepared for outages, to the point at which we have to wonder... why rely on them in the first place?
If you make a strong, well-documented case for your RGE power outage claim, you can overcome these flimsy power company customer service roadblocks.
How to File a Damages Claim for an RGE Power Outage on Your Own
Are you ready to act as your lawyer to get a refund, credit, or cash compensation? You can do it if you're diligent and have time on your hands. Let's get started.
Gather Your Evidence
From the moment the power goes out, it's up to you to document the steps you take to protect yourself and your property and everything you need to prove your losses to Rochester Gas & Electric. Here's what to put on your checklist:
- The time, date, and duration of the RGE power outage
- Whether you reported the outage and kept tabs on the outage status
- Whether you used surge-protectors on your home, office, or medical electronics
- You may wish to count them and list the models you use
- Any damages to property or self, which may include:
- Damaged home, office, or medical (like CPAP machines) equipment
- Injuries that occurred due to the outage
- Spoiled food and temperature-sensitive medications
- Interruption of internet services required for work or school
- Lost revenue due to having to close your business or suspend work-from-home duties during the RGE power outage
- Pay stubs showing your standard hourly rate
- Tax records and/or bank statements
- Payroll records
- Revenue and expenses statements
- Sales receipts
- Losses due to interrupted security systems
Don't forget to photograph any damages and make photocopies of itemized medical bills. If you have receipts or insurance documents for damaged items, make copies of these as well.
Find the Right Contact Person
Standard customer support representatives aren't usually able to act on your claims, and you could spend hours on hold while they try and help you solve the problem.
Submit Your Claim
You can either send in your claim using this claim form or use a more targeted approach:
- Call 866-577-3787 and press Option 2.
- Wait for a live person and ask for the name, specific mailing address, and phone extension of the claims supervisor.
- Write a cover letter stating your request for compensation and referring to the documentation you gathered from the list above
- If you were not given a specific address, mail your claim with delivery confirmation to RG&E Customer Claims, 89 East Avenue, Rochester, NY 14649-0001.
Be Sure to Follow Up
RG&E states that it can take up to six weeks to process a claim, but we recommend calling 866-577-3787 x 2 to follow up in about two weeks, then every week after until you have received a decision from RG&E.
How to Get Compensation for an RGE Outage Using DoNotPay
Does all that sound like a bit too much of a hassle? If you want to get compensation for an outage, and you want the best possible outcome, DoNotPay has you covered in 9 easy steps:
- Go to the Outage Refunds product on DoNotPay.
- Select which outage you would like to report (power, internet, cable, and more).
- Select your energy provider and enter your account number.
- Indicate when the outage started and how long it lasted.
- Verify your account information.
- If you want to be reimbursed for losses related to a power outage, choose whether you want to be reimbursed for personal injuries, damaged property, or both.
- Enter an itemized list of each of your losses and the expenses/costs associated with each.
- Upload documents or photographic evidence that proves your losses. Also, add the names of any witnesses who can attest to your losses if possible.
- Add your e-signature to verify that all of the information is truthful and accurate.
Does DoNotPay Help With Other Types of Outages?
Yes! We'll help you file a claim with any power or internet service provider across the United States, including these:
What Else DoNotPay Can Do For You
- Robocall compensation
- Neighbor complaints
- Jump the phone queue for any company
- Get help with bills
- File insurance claims
- File a customer complaint
- Appeal parking tickets in any city
Why Should You Use DoNotPay?
- Fast—We'll shorten the process and the turnaround with just a few simple steps
- Easy—You won't need to make trips to the post office or spend hours on the phone
- Successful—We do this all the time, and we're taken seriously.
Are you ready to file your RGE power outage claim? Let's get started today so you can get your compensation as soon as possible!