How to Get an Oncor Power Outage Refund: The Easy Way vs the Hard Way
An Oncor power outage can be fun and romantic... or it can wreak havoc on your business, home electronics, and even your health. If your power outage experience was less about candlelight dinners and family board games, and more about protecting your loved ones' and customers' safety, or reducing loss of perishables and personal property, you might qualify for compensation from Avista.
The question is, do you want to go it alone and needlessly waste your valuable time, or do you want DoNotPay to advocate on your behalf?
How to Check for an Oncor Power Outage
When your power goes out, you naturally want to know if it's just at your home, limited to your neighborhood, or a widespread outage. This information can also help you determine what caused the blackout. You can check for outages and estimated repair times on Oncor's outage map here.
Why You Should File an Outage Report
It's important to document both your losses and your attempts to contact your power utility after an outage. This helps you build a case. Plus, reporting an outage is a neighborly thing to do—utilities like Oncor rely on customers to let them know of localized outages, so they can send out line workers to repair the problem ASAP.
At the top of the outage map page, click the "Report An Outage" button and follow the instructions. Then, note what time you did so.
What Information You Need to File an Oncor Power Outage Claim on Your Own
When you're meticulous with your recordkeeping, you will be better positioned to make a solid case for your claim, especially if you're "going it alone".
- Your account number, billing address, and the person in charge of the account
- The times the outage started and ended
- When (and how) you reported the outage
- Any property damages you experienced during the outage
- Revenue and wages lost during the outage
- Any inconveniences if the power outage also interrupted your internet service
- Missed remote meetings
- Missed work deadlines
- Missed academic deadlines
- Itemized medical bills resulting from outage-related injuries
- Repair receipts for belongings or property damaged by the outage
Be sure to photograph any damage or injuries. Make printed copies if you plan to mail in your claim.
Get Compensated for an Oncor Power Outage
Once you've compiled your "evidence", you're ready to submit it to Oncor. Here's how to do it yourself, or with your very own "robot lawyer" representing your interests:
How to Get Compensation for an Outage on Your Own
- Gather the documents listed above, and make copies for both Oncor and for yourself.
- Call (888) 313-6862.
- Ask for the name, mailing address, e-mail, and direct line of the person in charge of damage claims.
- Write a cover letter explaining your request and summarizing your evidence.
- Either mail hard-copies to this person, attaching digitized copies of your documents, or
- Package your documents to send via USPS with delivery confirmation.
- Call the person in a week to follow up on your claim.
How to Get Compensation for an Outage Using DoNotPay
If you want to get compensation for an outage but don't know where to start, DoNotPay has you covered in 9 easy steps:
- Go to the Outage Refunds product on DoNotPay.
- Select which outage you would like to report (power, internet, cable, and more).
- Select your energy provider and enter your account number.
- Indicate when the outage started and how long it lasted.
- Verify your account information.
- If you want to be reimbursed for losses related to a power outage, choose whether you want to be reimbursed for personal injuries, damaged property, or both.
- Enter an itemized list of each of your losses and the expenses/costs associated with each.
- Upload documents or photographic evidence that proves your losses. Also, add the names of any witnesses who can attest to your losses if possible.
- Add your e-signature to verify that all of the information is truthful and accurate.
Does DoNotPay Help With Other Types of Outages?
Yes! will help you file a claim with any power or internet service provider across the United States, including these:
What Else Can DoNotPay Do for You
- Robocall compensation
- Neighbor complaints
- Jump the phone queue for any company
- Get help with bills
- File insurance claims
- File a customer complaint
- Appeal parking tickets in any city
Why Should You Use DoNotPay?
|Fast||No need for making copies, being stranded on hold, or running to the post office!|
|Easy||We'll get your claim filed TODAY in fewer steps.|
|Successful||We do this all the time, and utilities take us seriously.|
Ready to file your Oncor power outage claim? Let's get started now!