Convenient way to Report Sinkhole

iEditorial Note: These blog posts represent the opinion of DoNotPay’s Writers, but each person’s situation and circumstances vary greatly. As a result, you should make sure to do your own independent research. Because everyone is unique, our self-help tools are never guaranteed to help with any specific situation. DoNotPay is not a law firm, is not licensed to practice law, and is not equivalent to the services of a licensed lawyer. DoNotPay provides a platform for legal information and self-help, and does not offer legal services. Third party news articles mentioned on our website do not necessarily reflect the views of the company, or the current services that we offer.

How to Report a Sinkhole in Your City

Sinkholes are extremely dangerous pits that form in the ground when layers underneath give way. They can occur due to heavy rain, earthquakes, and sometimes for no discernible reason at all.

Some sinkholes are small or in fields and wind up looking like sharp-sided fishing holes. Others can open up in the middle of a city street, swallow a building, or form a sudden dangerous pit on the sidewalk.

If you see a sudden sharp-edged pit anywhere in your city, it's important to so it can be repaired as quickly as possible. Of course, this is easier said than done.

Who do you report the sinkhole to? How do you make sure your city or state sends a repair crew right away? DoNotPay can help you complete a report and send the repair crews without too much hassle.

How to Report a Sinkhole to the City

You need to report city repair concerns such as sinkholes, potholes, and traffic light issues, to name a few. This not only ensures your safety but that of others as well.

Reporting a sinkhole depends on who owns the land with the sinkhole. It might be on your property, on city or county property, or a state-controlled road. Each of these has a different repair authority, and sending your report to the wrong party will result in no repairs and no one responding to injury and damage claims.

The first step is to identify who owns the land where the sinkhole is located so you will know who will be responsible.

City or CountyIn most cases, the sinkhole is in a public location and this is the responsibility of your city or county. If it is in a business area, the adjacent roads and sidewalk may be affected so the city still needs to know.
StateIf the sinkhole occurred on an interstate or state highway, you'll need to report it to your state's Department of Transportation.
Your propertyIf the sinkhole is on your property, you are responsible for repairs but may need to contact your utility companies, if utility lines were affected.

File a Report With Your City, County, or State

Most sinkholes will be the responsibility of a local government authority. Even on business property, the land under the business is usually municipally controlled, and sinkholes often impact nearby roads and sidewalks.

  1. Identify the government authority
  2. Find their reporting page for road, sidewalk, or general customer service reports
  3. Use the available contact methods to file a claim
  4. Keep track of the sinkhole repair

Keep in mind that every single city, county, and state manages their reporting and road repair differently. Some have online forms, some require a phone call, and others need you to show up to an office in person to file a report.

Sinkhole on Your Property?

If the sinkhole occurred on your property, you are likely responsible for filling it. Your State Geological Survey can help you understand why it occurred and maybe how to avoid another sink in the future. If utility lines are damaged, get in touch with your utility providers for assistance.

Injured as a Result of a Sinkhole? Send Demand Letters To Your City for Compensation

Sinkholes are extremely dangerous, especially when one is on the road or across a city sidewalk. Be very careful if you see a sinkhole. However, if you have been injured or experienced property damage from a sinkhole encounter, you may have a right to compensation. Sinkholes on public land, and the injuries that occur as a result, are the responsibility of the local authority.

DoNotPay can help you file a liability claim with your local Small Claims Court without the usual hassle and run-around.

How Can I Prove My Damage Claim?

To prove a claim, you need to gather evidence:

  • Take photos of the sinkhole
  • Record the sinkhole's exact location
  • Record of any damage caused by the sinkhole
  • Keep receipts for medical or repair costs caused by the sinkhole

Use DoNotPay to Report a Sinkhole

Need to report a sinkhole and don't have time for a research project beforehand? DoNotPay can help. It's our mission to make dealing with municipal offices easier for people every day.

We know you're just trying to complete your daily commute without falling into a giant pit in the earth, and you don't have time to sort out which office to call or resubmitting forms until a report is accepted by faulty online systems. Let us handle sinkhole reporting and get those local repair teams out so you don't have to.

6 Easy Steps to Report a Sinkhole with DoNotPay

If you want to report a sinkhole in your city but don't know where to start, DoNotPay makes it easy for you to do so in 6 simple steps:

  1. Go to the product on DoNotPay.

  2. Choose one of the following options:
    1. Report a maintenance issue to the city
    2. Send Demand Letters To the city for compensation

  3. If you want to report an issue, choose which problem you would like to report (pothole, broken lights, etc.) and tell us more about when you first noticed the issue.

  4. If you want to request compensation, tell us whether you 1) suffered a personal injury, or 2) suffered from property damage. Then tell us more about the incident date, where it took place, and any expenses you have already paid. Include the names of witnesses if applicable.

  5. Upload supporting documents and other evidence files.

  6. Enter the amount you want to be compensated in damages and verify your e-signature.

It's that easy. Once you provide the necessary information, DoNotPay will handle the rest and you can go about your day.

What Do I Do if My First Claim Doesn't Get a Response?

If you reported a sinkhole or filed a damages claim with the city and haven't heard back, rest assured you still have options. There is no limit to the number of DoNotPay reports we can file with the city, and you can resubmit with additional evidence as you strengthen your case.

DoNotPay has a high success rate with getting city reports not just filed and acknowledged, but acted upon. We'll help get a city repair crew out to the sinkhole with tenacity.

DoNotPay Can Help You with Any Local Repair and Violation Reporting

Once you've got that sinkhole reported, there are many ways that DoNotPay can help you continue improving your city with quick, easy reporting.

What Else Can DoNotPay Do?

There are all sorts of ways DoNotPay can make your life easier. Explore our other services to save you money and reduce the hassle of dealing with local offices. File a complaint, resolve a parking ticket, get your documents notarized, and so much more.


DoNotPay was designed to make life more affordable and easier for everyone with official business to take care of. Check out how we can help you report a sinkhole and how else we can make your life easier today.

Want your issue solved now?