How to Report a Pothole in California in Six Easy Steps

iEditorial Note: These blog posts represent the opinion of DoNotPay’s Writers, but each person’s situation and circumstances vary greatly. As a result, you should make sure to do your own independent research. Because everyone is unique, our self-help tools are never guaranteed to help with any specific situation. DoNotPay is not a law firm, is not licensed to practice law, and is not equivalent to the services of a licensed lawyer. DoNotPay provides a platform for legal information and self-help, and does not offer legal services. Third party news articles mentioned on our website do not necessarily reflect the views of the company, or the current services that we offer.

Learn How to Report a Pothole in California

Potholes are large, deep cavities in an area that can cause injury and accidents if not properly corrected. In California, you can report a pothole to California's Department of Transportation (also known as Caltrans). Just as traffic lights and street lights should be reported when outages occur, potholes should also be reported as soon as they are known. Why should potholes be reported in California, and how can you report them correctly? This is DoNotPay's guide on how to .

How to Report a Pothole Issue in California

In California, Caltrans controls over 350,000 acres of Right of Way and maintains 15,133 centerlines and 13,063 state highway bridges. Caltrans is responsible for repairing and maintaining these public roads and highways. They also handle several other California road repairs and issues, such as signage problems, highway litter, graffiti marks, and more. You have the following options when or even one of the issues previously mentioned to Caltrans:

By phoneRoad Maintenance Division

626) 458-3981

OnlineGo to and visit the Report a Problem section. The first link will provide you with a form where you can fill in the details needed to report the pothole.

To report a pothole, you will need the following information:

  • The direction in which you were traveling when you saw the pothole
  • The nearest cross street where the pothole was located
  • The mode of transportation you took
  • The date and time in which you saw the pothole
  • Your email address

You will also be asked to briefly describe the nature of the situation and its geographic location. You can also provide your name and phone number, but that is optional, not required.

Injured as a Result of a Pothole in California? Send Demand Letters To for Compensation.

If you were injured in California due to a pothole, you may be entitled to compensation. DoNotPay offers resources that allow you to send demand letters to in a small claims court. Accidents caused by potholes that were not filled correctly or not filled at all can make the state liable for the damages done as a result. You should also get evidence of the damage done by the pothole. For damages under $10,000, the following are the steps you should take to make a claim:

  1. Take pictures and gather evidence of the pothole and damage to you, your car, or your bicycle.
  2. Report pothole to Caltrans.
  3. Keep all receipts associated with repairs and hospital bills incurred as a result.
  4. Make a claim using form LD-0274.

To submit your form to the correct office, you will need to know the appropriate district to send it. There are twelve districts, and they are as follows:

  • District 1: Eureka
  • District 2: Redding
  • District 3: Marysville/Sacramento
  • District 4: Bay Area/Oakland
  • District 5: San Luis Obispo/Santa Barbara
  • District 6: Fresno/Bakersfield
  • District 7: Los Angeles
  • District 8: San Bernardino/Riverside
  • District 9: Bishop
  • District 10: Stockton
  • District 11: San Diego
  • District 12: Orange County

For claims over $10,000, you will need to file a claim with California's Government Claims Program. This program allows you to file a claim without filing a lawsuit. For more information about the program, their phone number is 1(800)955-0052. You will need to fill out the appropriate form and mail it to the department. To get the claims form, you will need to write to the following address below:

Government Claims Program

Office of Risk and Insurance Management

Department of General Services

P.O. Box 989052, MS 414

West Sacramento, California, 95798-9052

Why You Should Report a Pothole in California

When you report a pothole, you help to protect other citizens on the road. You can also help Caltrans keep up-to-date on any road areas that may need attention. When people work together, it can help make the state and city roads safe for everyone. You may not think it is that important, but you could be saving someone's life.

How to Gather Evidence to Prove Damage Claims

DoNotPay is the perfect solution for reporting potholes in California and other cities and states. If you want to file a city repair report but don't know where to start, DoNotPay has you covered in 6 easy steps:

  1. Go to the City Repairs product on DoNotPay.
  2. Choose one of the following options:
    1. Report a maintenance issue to the city
    2. Send Demand Letters To the city for compensation

  3. If you want to report an issue, choose which problem you would like to report (pothole, broken lights, etc.) and tell us more about when you first noticed the issue.

  4. If you want to request compensation, tell us whether you 1) suffered a personal injury or 2) suffered from property damage. Then tell us more about the incident date, where it took place, and any expenses you have already paid. Include the names of witnesses if applicable.
  5. Upload supporting documents and other evidence files.
  6. Enter the amount you want to be compensated in damages and verify your e-signature.

What Else Can DoNotPay Offer?

DoNotPay is an amazing resource to use in reporting potholes in California and other states and cities around the United States. Why not try DoNotPay today and see the difference it can make. To learn more about other city and state repair issues, DoNotPay can assist you with reporting; check out the following:

Want your issue solved now?