How to Request IU Health Medical Records in a Flash
Requesting medical records sounds easy. In reality, it is anything but. Healthcare providers are required to provide medical records to patients who request them. But they're also bound by strict laws that are made to protect patients' privacy. That means patients have to jump through hoops to get their private medical information.
provides healthcare to patients all over Indiana. They provide great access to quality healthcare, but sometimes getting medical records from large health systems can be even more complicated. Patients may need to determine where to send requests. Luckily, DoNotPay has the perfect solution. There will be no need for snail mail or a printer. In just three easy steps, DoNotPay will have your request underway.
How Long Are Medical Records Stored?
Patients may be worried about being able to access their medical records. HIPAA requires doctors to provide their patients with medical records, but how long do they keep them?
If you are looking for old medical records, you may be in luck. Healthcare providers are required to keep their records for a long time, but not forever. Healthcare providers have to keep most of their records for at least seven years.
Some doctors may keep their records for even longer than seven years. If you are outside of the seven-year window, you can still request medical records from your provider. Although federal law requires records to be kept a minimum of seven years, some doctors are bound by other regulations. For example, Medicare Advantage records must be held for ten years. States also have their own regulations regarding how long records should be held.
Some doctors may simplify record keeping by maintaining records for the maximum amount of time required. If a doctor takes Medicare and non-Medicare patients, they may decide to keep all records for ten years, to reduce the administrative burden of destroying some records but keeping others. Always ask!
Does IU Health Charge for Medical Records?
HIPAA does allow healthcare providers to charge for the delivery of medical records. The cost can't be outrageously high. Regulations require doctors and healthcare professionals to make fees for medical records reasonable. Providers can only charge to reimburse themselves for some of the costs associated with copying and sending the records.
IU Health does not state their fee for medical record requests on their website. IU Health does claim that they maintain the right to charge for records, which is afforded to them by law. Fees will likely be based on the size of the record and the delivery method chosen.
Requesting IU Health Medical Records on Your Own
To request paper medical records from IU Health, you'll need to follow these steps:
- Go to the IU Health medical record website
- Download the PDF for the Authorization to Release and Disclose Patient Information form
- Fill out the form. You'll need to include your personal information, what clinic you went to, and what kind of records you'll need. This form also allows patients to determine what format they would like to receive their medical records
- Because of Indiana state law, some medical records have extra protection. If you are looking for medical records pertaining to substance abuse, HIV testing, and results, mental health, or genetics, you'll need to fill out an extra part of the form
- Mail or fax the form to the appropriate IU health location, as listed below the form on the website
In short, to request IU Health medical records on your own, you'll need a printer, a fax machine or stamp, and time to fill out the form. If you don't want to go through all that, DoNotPay has an easier way.
Requesting IU Health Medical Records With DoNotPay
DoNotPay has seen these requests before and knows how to write your health care provider a simple, clear, and effective letter that will get your legally-guaranteed health records for you in no time.
- Look up medical records on DoNotPay's website.
- Enter the name of the health care provider you'd like to receive medical records from.
- Answer a few questions about your provider and where you'd like to send the records.
What Else Can DoNotPay Do?
DoNotPay isn't just for requesting IU Health medical records. DoNotPay's medical record product works for any healthcare provider. Or maybe you need another DoNotPay product for your next task!
Request medical records from anywhere
DoNotPay works at any healthcare provider, in any state. With DoNotPay, you can use the three steps outlined above to request medical records from:
Or any other healthcare provider in the United States.
If you have another task to accomplish besides requesting IU Health medical records, chances are DoNotPay can help. DoNotPay has products that deal with all kinds of bureaucratic needs, like filing paperwork or requesting documents. Here are just some of the things DoNotPay can help with:
- Filing in Small Claims court
- Make an Advance Directive for your healthcare needs
- File complaints of all kinds
- Formally request sick leave from your employer
- Order birth certificates from almost any state in the United States
- Learn how long are medical records kept
- Learn how to request medical records
DoNotPay can make life easier. If you need your fast, consider DoNotPay. You'll save time and inconvenience. Try our Medical Records request product today!