How to Write a Traffic Ticket Dispute Letter
Nobody likes to get a traffic ticket. It can be especially frustrating to get one when you don't think that you actually committed any traffic violations. Luckily, all states in America allow you to dispute your traffic ticket.
The exact steps that need to be taken in order to challenge a traffic ticket will vary depending on where you live in the country. However, one thing that you will need to do in all parts of the country is to write a letter disputing the ticket. If you are unsure , DoNotPay has a quick and easy solution.
How Many Different Types of Traffic Tickets Are There?
There are several laws that must be followed whenever you get behind the wheel of a vehicle. The specifics of some laws will differ from state to state. However, there is a wide range of laws that can be found in all 50 states.
Some of the most common types of traffic tickets that are given in the US include:
- Not Wearing a Seatbelt
- Driving with a Suspended Driver's License
- Driving Without a Driver's License
- Texting While Driving
- Driving Over the Speed Limit
- Running a Red Light
- Not Stopping a Stop Sign
- Driving Recklessly
- Leaving the Scene of the Accident
Most of the time, when you violate a road law, you will only receive a fine as a punishment. In some cases, you can even fight a traffic ticket without a lawyer. However, if the violation is severe and causes harm to another person, you can’t easily plead not guilty and you could end up facing jail time or you could have your driver's license suspended.
How Much Is the Fine for a Traffic Ticket?
The amount that you are charged for violating a traffic law can vary greatly depending on a number of factors which include:
- The number of times you have already violated this law in the past
- The severity of the violation
- The location of the violation (i.e. violations in school zones and work zones are usually more costly)
There is no way to know exactly how much you will be charged for violating a traffic law. But here is a look at the average costs of common traffic violations.
|Violation||Average Citation Fee|
|Traffic Light Violation||Between $75 and $250|
|Speeding||Between $150 and $300|
|Speeding in School and Work Zones||Between $175 and $375|
|Distracted Driving||Between $250 and $500|
|Leaving the Scene of an Accident (Hit and Run)||Between $5,000 and $20,000|
How to Write a Traffic Ticket Dispute Letter on Your Own
As you can see, it can be very expensive to violate a traffic law. This is why if you feel you didn't actually violate any laws, you should dispute the charges as soon as possible. To do this, you will need to and send it to the court that is overseeing your case.
When you write your letter, you will need to include:
- Your name
- The date you received your ticket
- The number on the ticket
- The location where you received your ticket
- The time that the ticket was issued
- A brief description of why you feel you are disputing the ticket
When you write the letter, you do not have to be overly articulate. You just need to make sure that the letter provides all of the required information. The better the information, the better your chances are of getting a positive result.
How DoNotPay Can Help You Write a Traffic Ticket Dispute Letter
When you write a dispute letter yourself, you have to make sure that you submit all of the proper information. If you forget to submit a piece of crucial information, it could lead to your dispute being rejected.
Luckily, DoNotPay has an easy way to ensure that all of the required information is included in the dispute letter. In just a few clicks, we will collect all of the required information and craft a personalized letter on your behalf.
To get started, follow these easy steps:
- Log-in to DoNotPay and go to the Ticket Disputes category. Select the correct product based on your traffic ticket.
- Upload a photo of your citation.
- Provide us with some details on why you believe the citation issued is a mistake.
- Select whether or not you want the letter mailed to the traffic ticket issuer on your behalf!
- That's it! You'll receive an appeal letter that contains state vehicle codes to boost your case.
DoNotPay has helped thousands of people fight traffic tickets successfully. Yours could be next!
DoNotPay Can Help Solve All of Your Traffic Ticket Problems
In addition to helping you , DoNotPay can also help you solve your other traffic ticket-related problems. Some of the things that we can help you with include:
- Discover how to deal with a traffic ticket in Las Vegas
- Dispute a traffic ticket in California
- Contest a traffic ticket in Los Angeles
- Quickly take care of your New York City traffic ticket
DoNotPay can do so much more for you. To see all of the ways that we can make your life easier, check out our full list of products and services.