Can You Reduce Traffic Tickets Without a Lawyer?
Even the best drivers can make mistakes—but so can traffic enforcement officials. If you've been pulled over and ticketed and you believe there was a mistake, your first thought may be preferably without getting a lawyer or going to court.
Trying to get a moving or nonmoving violation lowered or dismissed can be a time-consuming and stressful process. You may need to show up in court and produce evidence that you don't deserve to be ticketed. There's a simpler way to get this process started. Whether you're fighting a traffic ticket in Los Angeles, Las Vegas, New York City, or anywhere in between, DoNotPay makes it easier, faster, and less frustrating.
Types of Traffic Tickets
is a broad term that covers both moving and non-moving (parking) violations.
Generally, when people refer to a traffic ticket, they're referring to moving violations, which can include:
- Running a red light
- Running a stop sign
- Failing to wear a seatbelt
- Texting while driving
- Going the wrong way down a one-way street
- Making an unsafe lane change
- Failing to signal a turn
- Making an illegal U-turn
- Drunk driving
- Passing in a no-passing zone
- Reckless driving
- Failing to stop for a pedestrian at a crosswalk
- And more
These moving violations can be further classified as infractions or misdemeanors. For an infraction, like a speeding ticket or making an illegal turn, you can pay the fine or you may want to go to court to appeal the ticket. For a misdemeanor, like driving under the influence or driving without a license, you will have to go to court.
If you want to appeal the ticket, you will have to follow the process as outlined in your city, county, or state within the designated time frame. Check the court's website for clear instructions on the appeals process in a particular jurisdiction.
Is It Worth the Hassle to Get a Traffic Ticket Reduced?
Yes. There are many reasons why you should try to reduce your traffic ticket or have it dismissed:
- A ticket is an unexpected expense that can throw your budget into turmoil
- Traffic violations can increase your car insurance premiums
- Having multiple violations on your record can lead to bigger consequences, like the loss of your license
- You have the right to contest any allegations of wrongdoing, and the officer who issued the ticket may have made a mistake
Disputing a traffic ticket is faster and easier with DoNotPay. We gather all the information and can file the appeal on your behalf, saving you time, research, and hassle.
How to Get Traffic Tickets Reduced on Your Own
Get ready to go to court. If your alleged offense requires a court appearance, you will have the opportunity to plead guilty or not guilty to your traffic violation:
|Guilty:||You'll admit you did it and you'll pay the associated penalty. You may be able to request traffic school or another alternative to the fine.|
|Not Guilty:||The judge will set another date for you to make your case and a judgment will be issued at that time.|
If there is no required court appearance, you may appeal the ticket and request one. When you go to court, you'll want to be prepared:
- Prepare Your Case: Include a copy of the ticket, your driving record, and any evidence that indicates the officer who issued the ticket may have made a mistake in doing so. In the event that you're found guilty, be prepared to detail your monthly financial commitments in an effort to reduce the fine or set up a payment plan.
- Understand the Process: Do some research to get a feel for court proceedings, or show up early to listen to the cases before yours.
- Be Professional: Dress appropriately, get there on time and use proper manners in the courtroom. Refer to the judge as "your honor" and follow all instructions.
This may require you to take time off work to appear in court, and the process is nerve-wracking. Fortunately, DoNotPay provides a faster, easier way that may eliminate the need for you to go to court at all.
Dispute Your Traffic Ticket in Less Than Two Minutes With DoNotPay
We help ensure you follow the right process for in California or any other state. DoNotPay has taken care of more than 200,000 traffic tickets and counting, and we can help you reduce or dismiss yours, too.
Just do the following steps:
- Log in to DoNotPay and go to the Ticket Disputes category. Select the correct product based on your traffic ticket.
- Upload a photo of your citation.
- Provide us with some details on why you believe the citation issued is a mistake.
- Select whether or not you want the letter mailed to the traffic ticket issuer on your behalf!
- That’s it! You’ll receive an appeal letter that contains state vehicle codes to boost your case.
We'll handle the details. All you have to do now is wait for a response from the ticket issuer to find out if you won your appeal. That's just one of many ways DoNotPay makes life easier and less stressful for people in a variety of challenging situations.
What Else Can DoNotPay Do?
The world's first robot lawyer DoNotPay is here to help you navigate sticky financial and legal issues. Many of these challenges involve complicated processes, heavy rules and regulations, in addition to a lot of stress and uncertainty.
We make it easier to deal with situations like:
- Dispute parking tickets
- Dispute seatbelt tickets
- Pay your bills online
- File a police report
- Make an insurance claim
- Report a needed repair to the city
- Find missing money
- Create a power of attorney
- Renew your car registration
- File a complaint against any company
- And more
and get access to hundreds of services made available to members with just a few clicks.