See or Experience a Crime? Let Us Help you Find Out How to File an Online Police Report Today
If you've fallen victim to or have witnessed a crime, you may feel helpless. Filing a police report is the first step to regaining control of your life. However, filing police reports can be time-consuming and complicated. There's another way -- DoNotPay.
With DoNotPay, you can file different types of police reports. Even better, you can do it online. DoNotPay can help you with the following:
- File a police report
- How to file a police report
- How to file a police report for identity theft
- Filing a police report for a stolen package
- How to file a police report for a car accident
- Filing a police report for a hit-and-run
- How to file a police report for a stolen phone
- How to file a police report for a scammer
- How to file a police report for a stolen wallet
- How to file a police report for stolen items
What Types of Reports Can Be Filed Online and What Do You Need?
Not all police reports can be filed online, but several can. These are:
- Lost property – This type of police report can be filed when property has simply disappeared, but there's no firm evidence of theft. If you believe that it was taken, but don't know by who, the report can be filed online. If you have a suspect, you need to file an in-person report. You will need a description of the property. For example, a wallet would need to be described, including its contents.
- Harassing communications via phone – This could be voice calls or texts. However, in these cases, the suspect is unknown. Frequently, this type of harassment involves heavy breathing or hang-ups. You should not use online reporting if caller ID captures the phone number.
- Vehicle burglary – This type of report involves property being stolen from inside a vehicle. You will need to describe the property and vehicle from which the property was stolen.
- Vehicle tampering – This type of report involves a vehicle being tampered with and includes instances of vehicle vandalism or graffiti. You'll need to provide a photo of the vehicle prior to the incident.
- Vandalism and/or graffiti – In this crime, public or private property is changed, defaced, or modified in some way. Often, spray paint is used. Before and after photos are good things to have on hand.
- Theft – In this case, property is known to be stolen, but no illegal entry occurs, nor is their contact by the suspect. You will need to describe the property. Online filing should not be used if violence was used, illegal entry occurred, or a suspect is known.
How to File a Police Report Alone
First, knowingly filing a false police report is illegal. If you've got one of the cases in the prior section, you can file your police report in person, by phone, or online. Here's how:
|In-Person||In this case, either you can go to the police station, or you can request an officer come to you. However you choose, the report is given face-to-face, with the officer writing the report. This way may be time-consuming because you've got to wait for an officer to be available and, in the case of coming to you, arrive at your location.|
|By Phone||In this case, you call the non-emergency line for your local police department. They will ask you questions and write down your responses. This method may be faster than the in-person method.|
|Online||You can file it online. That way, you know the information entered is accurate. Unlike the other two options, here, you've got the chance to use a secret weapon: DoNotPay.|
Next Steps for Filing a Police Report
If none of the above options work, you might need an attorney. They can navigate the legal system to get your police report filed. However, this is very time-consuming and you'll be responsible for the lawyer fees. There's another option that won't cost nearly as much: DoNotPay.
File a Police Report With DoNotPay
If you want to file a police report but don't know where to start, DoNotPay has you covered in 3 easy steps. These are:
- Search "police report" on DoNotPay and select the type of incident you would like to report.
- Tell us more about the incident that occurred, including the location, date, time, and sequence of events. Include information on financial losses, personal injuries, or property damage that happened as a result.
- List any suspects or witnesses you are aware of, verify your contact information, and submit.
Why Use DoNotPay to File a Police Report?
- It's fast – Let DoNotPay do the heavy work. Just give your information.
- It's easy – The process used by DoNotPay is user-friendly.
- It's successful – DoNotPay has your back and will make the best argument on your behalf.
It's a powerful tool to help you meet your objectives in the easiest and fastest possible way.
What Else Can DoNotPay do?
DoNotPay does much more than just help you file online police reports. You can recover Spotify, Steam, Amazon, eBay, or other online account passwords. You can get your birth certificate, even from another state. You can also use DoNotPay to
- Perform a sex offender search
- File a suit in a small claims court
- Compile standardized legal documents
- File insurance claims
Use DoNotPay to accomplish all your tasks today, from recovering lost passwords to filing online police reports. DoNotPay has your back!