How Much Is an Impeding Traffic Ticket In Michigan
If you get pulled over in Michigan, lots of thoughts may run through your mind. Is something wrong with my car? Was I speeding or going too slowly? If I was impeding traffic, ? Will it add points to my license?
You always have the right to dispute an impeding traffic ticket or any other type of traffic ticket in Michigan, New York City, California, or anywhere else in the country. To pay the fine is to admit guilt and have the ticket go on your record, which could eventually result in a suspended license if you commit more traffic violations. Hiring a lawyer to fight the ticket in court can quickly become more expensive than the fine itself, and it's stressful and time-consuming to deal with the court system.
What Is the Fine for an Impeding Traffic Ticket in Michigan?
In , an impeding traffic ticket will cost you $175. Because it is considered a non-moving violation, you will not receive points on your license, and it should not have an impact on your insurance rates.
What Does It Mean to Impede Traffic?
Basically, it means that your vehicle is somehow blocking the normal flow of traffic.
- You're driving too slowly.
- Your car is stopped in the middle of the road.
The Michigan Vehicle Code describes it like this:
"...a person, without authority, shall not block, obstruct, impede, or otherwise interfere with the normal flow of vehicular, streetcar, or pedestrian traffic upon a public street or highway in this state, by means of a barricade, object, or device, or with his or her person."
Clearly, there's some room for interpretation here. The ticketing officer may believe you're traveling too slowly, when in fact you had just slowed down to avoid getting too close to the car in front of you. In any case, it's worth it to dispute the ticket to reduce the fine or have it dismissed.
How to Pay Your Impeding Traffic Ticket in Michigan
There are several ways to pay your impeding traffic ticket and other traffic tickets in Michigan, depending on the jurisdiction:
|Online:||Go to the Michigan Courts ticket search website, enter your ticket information, and follow the prompts.|
|In-Person:||Go to the court listed on your ticket. You may need to call in advance to see what payment methods are accepted.|
|By Mail:||Mail your check or money order to the court listed on the ticket.|
|By Phone:||Call the court to see if they will accept payment by phone.|
Though impeding traffic isn't a serious offense, it can have serious consequences if you don't take action. Failing to pay or dispute your traffic ticket by the deadline can result in bigger fines, a suspended license, and even jail time.
How to Dispute Your Impeding Traffic Ticket in Michigan by Yourself
We highly recommend that you dispute a traffic ticket especially if you have a valid reason and proof to back your claim. Even though impeding traffic doesn't result in points on your license, the fine could cause financial stress. Other types of tickets can add points to your license, and simply admitting guilt and paying the fine can have additional negative consequences down the road.
You'll see a lot of useful information on your ticket, including:
- Your pay-by date
- The address and contact information of the court
- Information on how to contest the ticket
This may include a checkbox that indicates you want to request a hearing, and you can mark that and mail the ticket to the appropriate court. They will be in touch to set a date for your hearing.
You may have to contact the court directly to request a hearing, and you might have two options:
- Informal Hearing: You and the ticketing officer will appear before a magistrate to make your case. You may not have an attorney present.
- Formal Hearing: You and the ticketing officer will appear before a judge to make your case. You may have an attorney.
In both cases, you'll receive a Notice to Appear from the court. When you go to the courthouse on the date, keep a few things in mind:
- Be early and be prepared. Understand court proceedings and treat the judge with respect, referring to him or her as "Your Honor."
- Present evidence that supports your not-guilty plea. This could include witnesses, your driving history, and more.
- Be prepared to pay the fine if you are found guilty after all. You may be able to set up a payment plan if you can demonstrate that you cannot afford to pay the fine all at once.
Going to court is a stressful experience for most people, as there are many strict rules for behavior and procedure in place. It can also take time away from your work and family. If you have the option to request a Trial by Declaration and avoid going to court at all, you may want to take it. DoNotPay is here to help you fight traffic tickets in Michigan and throughout the country, all without hassle—and without an attorney.
Use DoNotPay to Successfully Dispute Your Michigan Impeding Traffic Ticket
Successfully fighting traffic tickets is nothing new for DoNotPay—we've helped people avoid fees, court time, and license points more than 200,000 times, and we're not done yet. We've made it fast, easy, and stress-free to dispute any type of traffic ticket.
Here's how to fight your :
- Log in to DoNotPay and go to the Ticket Disputes category. Select the correct product based on your traffic ticket.
- Upload a photo of your citation.
- Provide us with some details on why you believe the citation issued is a mistake.
- Select whether or not you want the letter mailed to the traffic ticket issuer on your behalf!
- That’s it! You’ll receive an appeal letter that contains state vehicle codes to boost your case.
The only thing left to do is wait and see if you won your case. It's fast, easy, and just one of many things DoNotPay can do for you.
What Else Can DoNotPay Do?
Life is full of pesky, stress-inducing legal and financial matters. DoNotPay was designed to help you understand confusing processes and navigate them with ease to save time and money.
Take a closer look at how we can help:
- Make insurance claims
- Find missing money that belongs to you
- Report a missing stop sign or other necessary repairs to the city
- Enjoy free subscription trials without risk of being charged
- Avoid waiting on hold on the phone with a company
- Get a refund for a late delivery
- Renew your car registration
- Dispute a seatbelt ticket
- Pay your bills online
- Increase your credit card limit
- Break your lease
- And more
DoNotPay empowers you to take charge of your situation and fight for the best possible outcome. today.