How Do You Easily File a Police Report Online in Detroit?
There is not much that a person cannot do online. The internet has brought people the ability to handle all kinds of business from the comfort of their own homes. From grocery shopping to paying bills to filing police reports, the internet makes things more accessible. If you live in Detroit, you may have wondered if you would be able to file a police report online. We will explore the options for filing a police report in Detroit, including . Also, check out these articles in DoNotPay's File Police Report product series:
- How to file a police report on stolen items
- How to file a police report for car accidents
- File a police report
- How to file a police report for a stolen wallet
- How to file a police report for a scammer
- How to file a police report for a car accident
Ways to File a Police Report in Detroit
Filing police reports online has become more common in the last few years, but many cities and states are not yet equipped to allow online police reports. In Detroit, the online police reporting portal is not yet available. Here’s how to file a police report in Detroit:
|In-person||When you file a police report in-person, it must be done at the police department within the county or district where the criminal actions occurred. The visit may take a few minutes or several hours. It depends on the nature and severity of the report you are filing. You should bring all the evidence collected with you. This option is for non-emergency police reports.|
|By phone||Detroit's Telephone Crime Reporting Unit (TCRU) can be reached at (313) 267-4600 or (313) 267-4602. A visit to the local police department may still be necessary when filing your report by phone, but this will allow you to make an appointment and cut the time needed for your visit dramatically. This option is for non-emergency police reports.
Call 911 for emergency situations only. Officers will be dispatched to your location as soon as they are able to get there. Police officers will make a report when the emergency has been taken care of.
What Type of Crimes Can Be Reported by Phone?
When filing a police report by phone, there is a limit on what can be reported. Automobile theft must always be reported in person. Here are some of the crimes that can be reported by phone.
- Property damage
- Utility theft
- Identity theft
What Is Required to File a Police Report in Detroit?
When filing a police report, you will be asked to supply as much evidence as possible to support your claim. Evidence will depend on what is being reported. This could include photographs, recordings, messages, items, or witness statements. You will need to provide identification and the location of the activities being reported. You will also need to provide contact information in case officers need to follow up on the police report.
How You Can File a Police Report in Detroit on Your Own
When you are the victim of a crime, safety is the top priority. Always check the area well to ensure that there is no further danger before collecting evidence. If the scene is not safe, you should go somewhere that is and call 911.
- Once all danger has been removed, collect as much evidence as possible. Take pictures of the scene from as many angles as possible to fully document the scene. Any witness statements should be as detailed as possible and include contact information.
- Choose the method you would like to use to file your police report. Call the TCRU phone number or find the local police department and go there during normal business hours.
- With either option, you will be directed to an officer to speak with about your police report.
- If you file the report in person, you will give a verbal and written statement. You will also provide the officer with all of the evidence you have gathered. By phone, you give a verbal statement and make an appointment to visit the local police department to sign your statement and provide the evidence.
- After they have all of the information needed, ask for a copy of the police report.
- If follow-up is necessary, you should contact the department a few days later to get any updates.
Using DoNotPay to File a Detroit Police Report
If you are like most people, you do not have the time to sit at the police station for hours waiting to speak with an officer. Wouldn't it be helpful if there was a way to enter your information and the report could be filed for you? DoNotPay does just that.
How to File a Police Report Using DoNotPay:
If you want to file a police report but don't know where to start, DoNotPay has you covered in 3 easy steps. These are:
- Search "police report" on DoNotPay and select the type of incident you would like to report.
- Tell us more about the incident that occurred, including the location, date, time, and sequence of events. Include information on financial losses, personal injuries, or property damage that happened as a result.
- List any suspects or witnesses you are aware of, verify your contact information, and submit.
Why You Should Use DoNotPay to File a Detroit Police Report
Your schedule is already full and who has the time to waste? The File Police Report product by DoNotPay can help you quickly, easily, and successfully while saving you time and money. Here are some of the other articles in the File Police Reports product series.
- How to file a police report
- How to file a police report for identity theft
- Filing a police report for a stolen package
- How to file a police report for a stolen phone
- Filing a police report for a hit-and-run
Use DoNotPay Anywhere
DoNotPay saves you time and money no matter where you live. The products work across all 50 states, in every city and county. That is not the only way that you will save time and money with the products from DoNotPay. Here are articles from some other product series.