The Easy Way to File a Police Report in Oakland
When you are the victim of a crime, are under threat of a crime, or you simply wish to report an abandoned vehicle, you should file a police report in Oakland as soon as possible. You have 3 ways to file a police report in Oakland, depending on the crime, the incident, and the circumstances. We will explain everything, but first, you these are your choices:
- File online
- File in person
- File over the telephone
Types of Crimes to Report to Oakland PD
There are many crimes or threats you may wish to report. You may have been the victim of a non-violent crime such as having a package stolen or even your wallet. You may have had your phone or other items stolen, too.
Today, other crimes are becoming more rampant. You should file an Oakland police report if you are the victim of identity theft or if you have been scammed. If you have suffered violence or the threat of violence, we urge you to file a police report with Oakland PD. You should also file a police report if you were involved in a car accident or a hit-and-run.
When Can You File an Oakland Police Report Online?
Oakland PD will accept police reports online if all these five points apply and if the other seven points do not.
|In-person or by phone only||
Felonies and domestic violence crimes should be reported directly to Oakland PD by calling (510) 777 3333. If it is an emergency situation of any kind, call 911.
How to Submit an Oakland Police Report Online
You see a two-page list of reportable incidents. To complete the report you should:
- Read the Incident Types.
- Read the incident definition to be sure you will submit the report correctly.
- Check the incident examples if you are unsure after reading the definition.
- Select the incident type by checking the appropriate box.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click "Start Report."
- Check the box to confirm a crime was attempted or completed.
- Select the type of report you want to submit. This may be an original, a supplement to a previous online report, or a supplement to a report originally made in person to an officer.
- Select whether you are reporting as an individual or you represent a business.
- Enter all personal and business details.
- Complete the details of the report by filling in the boxes.
If you would like to learn more, in general, about filing a police report this DoNotPay article will help.
Which Incidents Can You Report Online?
The following is a list of police-identified incidents taken from the form mentioned above.
- Annoying phone call
- Assault that would not be considered a felony
- Threat of assault
- Attempted auto theft
- Making, passing or publishing bad checks with the intent to defraud
- Entering a residential or business premises with the intent to commit theft
- Property taken without the owner's permission, including a dog
- Theft of mail
- Obtaining goods or services from any commercial establishment without paying and with the intent to defraud
- Forging, copying, selling, buying or possessing, an altered original with the intent to defraud or to deceive
- Fraudulent use of a debit or credit card
- Hit-and-run if the incident happened on private property
- Vehicle burglary
- Vehicle tampering, including keying or an attempt to remove parts
- Identity theft
- Illegal dumpling
- Missing property which may have been stolen or lost
- Price gouging during a declared natural disaster
Filing an Online Oakland Police Report With the Help of DoNotPay
Remember that Oakland PD has set parameters for submitting a police report. In some circumstances, reports must be filed in person or by phone. When it can be filed online, it requires clear thinking to follow all the steps accurately. Many victims of a crime feel emotional and may not be clear about all the details of filing a complete report to make it easier for Oakland PD to respond.
How to file online reports take time and can feel stressful. Filing a false police report is illegal. California Statute 148.5 PC may punish an offender with a sentence of up to 6 months in jail.
DoNotPay makes filing an Oakland police report easy, convenient, safe, and stress-free. We collect all the necessary details and file the report for you. It is all done in 3 easy steps. All you have to do is:
- Search "police report" on DoNotPay and select the type of incident you would like to report.
- Tell us more about the incident that occurred, including the location, date, time, and sequence of events. Include information on financial losses, personal injuries, or property damage that happened as a result.
- List any suspects or witnesses you are aware of, verify your contact information, and submit.
The Added Benefits of Filing a Police Report Through DoNotPay
Because we know the Oakland PD system, we know how to answer all of the questions and where to record the answers. The result is that a full and accurate report gets filed quickly and can be acted on by an authorized officer.
If the officer does want more information, they will contact you directly and will also give you status updates.
DoNotPay Does Even More
We offer many types of support for people and businesses and we can help you with much more than filing a police report in Oakland. Complex or confusing legal issues get easier when you make use of our comprehensive services. If you would like to know more about what we offer, here are some examples for you to check out. Always keep in mind, we are here to help you.
- File a police report
- Sex offenders
- Sue someone in a small claims court
- Creating and using standardized legal documents
- How to file an insurance claim
Instead of trying to figure everything out for yourself, start using DoNotPay today.