How to File a Police Report in Tacoma
Despite your best efforts to avoid altercations and incidents that require police involvement, sometimes they happen, and you'll have to file a police report in Tacoma. Whether you're filing a police report for a hit and run in Pierce County, a stolen phone or a stolen wallet in Puyallup, or a scammer in Tacoma, the process can be frightening.
If you've just been in a car accident or had your property stolen, you're probably upset and feeling uncertain about what to do next. The steps you take can determine whether a criminal gets away, the right parties are held responsible for an accident, or if you're able to retrieve your missing items. Fortunately, you're not alone in this process. DoNotPay can help you file a police report in Tacoma, Washington, and other cities where you find yourself the victim of identity theft, a stolen package, and more.
What Types of Reports Can Be Filed Online?
The City of Tacoma outlines several types of non-violent crime and nuisance issues that you can report online. These include:
- Identity Theft
- Lost Property
- Vehicle Prowl
- Animal Issues
- Suspected Drug House
- People Sleeping on Public Property
If a crime is in progress, you should always call 911 immediately. The City of Tacoma also has two non-emergency phone lines dedicated to specific issues. If you'd rather call than file online, these are the crimes and nuisances that can be reported to each number:
|Unwanted Events||Phone/Hotline Numbers|
What Crimes Cannot Be Reported Online?
In Tacoma, you must call or visit the station to report these types of crimes:
- Violent crimes (call 911)
- Lost or stolen guns
- Lost or stolen license plates
- Lost or stolen vehicles
- Vehicle accidents
- A vehicle hit and runs
What Is Required to File an Online Report?
You may need different types of information depending upon the type of crime you are reporting. In general, be ready to provide information like this:
- Crime location or address
- Date and time range when the crime occurred or could have occurred
- The type of crime and whether it was completed or attempted
- Any known details about the crime or what you saw
- Whether you are a victim or a witness
- Your personal details, including name, address, phone number, birthday, and more
- Any known details about the suspect
- Contact information for other witnesses
- If you're reporting stolen property, you will need to provide details about each item, such as a description, replacement cost, brand name, serial number, insurance information, etc.
How to File a Police Report in Tacoma on Your Own
There are three ways to file a police report in Tacoma:
- On the phone
As discussed above, your method of reporting depends upon the type of crime. Make sure you have all the information you need to share with the authorities and keep in mind that it's illegal to file a false police report according to Section 9A.84.040 of the Revised Code of Washington.
While the city strives to make the reporting process as simple as possible, you still shoulder a lot of responsibility. You must make sure your report is accurate and that you're following the right process based on the type of crime. Maybe you're visiting the area, and you're not even sure if the crime happened in Tacoma or under a different jurisdiction.
Failure to report accurately and quickly could result in delays or a missed opportunity for justice. Don't leave this to chance. DoNotPay can help streamline the process and ensure your report is filed correctly with the proper authorities.
How to File a Police Report With the Help of DoNotPay
Always call 911 if it's an emergency or if you're reporting a crime in progress. For other types of crime and nuisances, DoNotPay makes it easy to report a crime, even if you're not sure which department should receive your report.
We'll collect all the required information and file the report on your behalf directly with the police department that regulates the area where the crime occurred. This is how to file a police report using DoNotPay in 3 easy steps:
- Search "police report" on DoNotPay and select the type of incident you would like to report.
- Tell us more about the incident that occurred, including the location, date, time, and sequence of events. Include information on financial losses, personal injuries, or property damage that happened as a result.
- List any suspects or witnesses you are aware of, verify your contact information, and submit.
Why Use DoNotPay to File a Police Report
We eliminate guesswork and unnecessary stress in an already stressful situation. Confidently answer the questions with the information you have about the crime, and we'll file it with the proper authorities. You don't have to figure out which form to fill out or which department it should go to. We've got that covered.
It's fast and efficient. The police department will contact you with any additional questions and status updates.
Use DoNotPay to File Police Reports and So Much More
DoNotPay is your robot lawyer for navigating the most confusing legal and financial aspects of modern society. We're here to help you file police reports and so much more:
- Appeal parking tickets
- Get compensation for crime victims
- Create a power of attorney
- Receive late delivery refunds
- Schedule DMV appointments
- Request sick leave
- Give notice of intent to homeschool
Don't try to figure out these complicated situations on your own. Let us simplify the process for you. Get started with DoNotPay today.