Quickly File a Police Report in Columbus, Ohio
The Columbus Division of Police allows you to file a report of any crimes or accidents within the geographical boundaries of the City of Columbus. You might not be able to file a report with the division if the incident happened somewhere else. Filing a police report is daunting and stressful for most people. It involves describing how the incident occurred, which can be challenging, especially if you are one of the culprits.
If you are a victim of an accident or a crime, it may also be challenging to file a comprehensive report. Luckily, DoNotPay has created a product where you can quickly file a report using your web browser.
The only thing you are supposed to do is answer a few questions:
- Describe how the accident happened
- Include the sequence of events
Read on to learn more on how you can file a police report in Columbus and how you can use our product to contact the Columbus Division of Police.
What Types of Reports Can Be Filed Online?
Some of the offenses that you can report using the City of Columbus Police Department website include:
|Attempted theft of a vehicle||This includes the cases of a steering column tampered with, in an attempt to steal the car.|
|Trespassing in an occupied area||This includes an uninhabited structure, an unattached garage, and a shed.|
|Criminal damage||This occurs when an intruder or a perpetrator knowingly damages property for no other reason than to destroy it. This includes knocking over a mailbox with a basketball, keying a car door, and painting walls with graffiti.|
|Identity theft||This occurs when an unauthorized party uses your documents to commit a crime. Some of the personal information used in identity fraud include Social Security Number, date of birth, bank account number, and credit card number. A perpetrator can use these personal details to make a fraudulent purchase or when issued a traffic ticket.|
|Theft||This occurs when an item is stolen from places such as lawn ornaments, a home, a public building, and also the theft of credit or debit cards. You can report a theft case online if the value of a stolen item is not more than $3,000.|
|Theft from a motor vehicle||You could file a report with the Columbus Police Division if your items were stolen from your car. This also includes the cases of ransacked cars with nothing stolen.|
How to File a Police Report on Your Own
If you are involved in a crime or witnessed possible criminal activity in Columbus, you can report the incident to the local law enforcement using the following procedure.
- Locate the nearest police station. You can search online or call 311 to find the closest police department.
- Gather evidence about the crime or accident you want to report. One of the best ways to collect information about an incident is through taking pictures or videos using your phone. The police may request you to share with them the photographs, but they cannot confiscate your phone. For property loss or damage, ensure to gather information such as insurance claims and financial statements.
- Ensure to carry your ID or documents with information that might help to prove your identity. Typically, the officer filing your report will request you to provide them with your name or address.
- File a report about the incident. Introduce yourself to the officer at the desk and inform them that you want to file a police report. They may ask you some questions about the incident or give you a form to fill as you wait for the officer on duty. Ensure that you disclose all the vital information you know about the incident. At this point, you can give the officer all the relevant documents or evidence you have. Avoid making assumptions, especially if there are some things that you cannot remember.
- Acquire a written copy of the report. Once the officer has finished compiling your report, you can request them to issue you a copy of the report or the report number. Always keep the report or its number safe as you might be required to provide it when making some claims.
Filing a police report in Columbus by yourself may not be the best option, especially if you are unfamiliar with the procedures. The initial report forms the basis of your case, and if you miss out on some crucial details, it might be challenging to sue the perpetrator. If you are involved in a crime or accident, you can use DoNotPay to file a police report quickly and easily.
File a Police Report in Columbus With the Help of DoNotPay
How to file a police report using DoNotPay:
If you want to file a police report in Columbus, Ohio but don't know where to start, DoNotPay has you covered in 3 easy steps:
- Search "police report" on DoNotPay and select the type of incident you would like to report.
- Tell us more about the incident that occurred, including the location, date, time, and sequence of events. Include information on financial losses, personal injuries, or property damage that happened as a result.
- List any suspects or witnesses you are aware of, verify your contact information, and submit.
What Else Can DoNotPay Do?
Apart from filing a police report, DoNotPay can help you:
- File a report for identity theft
- File a report for a stolen package
- File a report for a car accident
- File a report for hit and run
- File a report for a stolen phone
- File a report for a stolen wallet
- File a report for a scammer
- File a report for stolen items
Contact us today to learn more on how we can help you file a police report and help build your case.