How to Access Your Elliot Hospital Medical Records Without the Runaround
The Elliot operates several hospitals in New Hampshire. Getting your Elliot Hospital medical records means that you need to follow a series of steps. Patients typically request their medical records when changing doctors, moving, or preparing for a lawsuit. This guide will discuss what it takes to file a successful request for a release of the medical files.
HIPAA and Requesting Medical Records
It is interesting to note that you do not have a right to every bit of information that is in your files. Rather, the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) lists the types of medical records a patient may receive. According to 45 CFR § 164.524, there is a designated record set.
- Files that Elliot Hospital maintains about you and your care.
- Files claims adjusters at your insurance company.
- Files that your doctor relies on to make decisions about your care.
What Files Are Not Covered?
There are files that a medical records release form does not cover. These are the files that the hospital puts together to defend itself against a lawsuit you might bring. Other sets of files you are not entitled to receive are the personal notes of a mental health care provider. If the facility has files pertaining to its preparation for a criminal suit, you are not entitled to request these, either.
Who Requests Medical Records?
Patients who plan to change health care providers typically like to transfer their files to the new doctor's office. In other cases, a patient who plans to bring legal action–criminal or civil–may ask to look at their medical files.
The Facility Has to Work With You
HIPAA specifies that the hospital cannot make it unduly difficult for you to receive your files. For example, they cannot ask you to:
- Appear in the office physically to make a formal request for medical records.
- Direct all requests for the release of records through the online patient portal.
- Limit your option for requesting information to mail only.
Are There a Lot of Hoops to Jump Through?
How do I get my medical records if I just want them sent to me? You may ask them to mail it to you or you can pick the records in person.
When asking for Elliot Hospital medical records, the facility has to ensure that they are sending the information to the right place. Here is how to request medical records from the provider:
- Fill out a health care release form. It asks for patient information, including your name and date of birth.
- Authorize the right facility to release records. You must choose which facility you are addressing with the authorization form.
- Specify the information you want to receive. If you have been a patient at the Elliot Hospital for a while, be sure to specify the dates of service you want the release form to cover.
- Provide your initials next to sensitive information you might be requesting. Examples include mental health or genetic testing results.
- Finally, specify how you wish to receive the files and sign the request.
It is important to note that you can view electronic health records with the hospital's MyEChart patient portal, which has been renamed SolutionHealth MyChart. You should have access to the information from the older version of the file setup as well as the rebranded online portal.
Here are the relevant contact details and links:
|Medical Records Release Form||Authorization Form|
|Phone number||(603) 663-2341|
|Mailing address||1 Elliot Way, Manchester, NH 03102|
The Elliot may charge you for copies of the medical records that they maintain. At this time, the policy offers you the first ten pages free of charge. Anything after page 11 carries a $6.50 flat fee.
Similarly, if you want to ask for specific file items, you may have to contact additional departments. You may contact the Radiology Department at (603)-663-2541 for imaging films.
Get Elliot Medical Records With DoNotPay
It only takes three steps to request your Elliot hospital medical records with DoNotPay:
- Choose the Medical Records function on the DoNotPay website.
- Next, input the name of the hospital, which is Elliot Hospital, from where you would like to receive medical records.
- Answer a few identifying questions that tell the portal about your provider and where you would like to have the records sent.
It does not matter which state you are in, the DoNotPay portal works for you. It specializes in making otherwise labor-intensive processes quick and easy. You can request access to your medical records from different health systems including Kaiser, Mercy, Baptist, and Cleveland Clinic.
DoNotPay puts you in charge of your information and helps you gain access in ways that are uncomplicated. Try it out for yourself today!