My Car Was Repossessed Without Notice - Here's What to Do!
In most situations, your auto loan lender isn't required to notify you before repossessing your vehicle. Most auto loan agreements provide that the lender may have the car repossessed without notice when you miss a payment. The lender is typically not required to provide you with advance notice that it intends to repossess your vehicle.
How To Report a Car up for Repossession
|Step 1:||Contact the repossession company. If you know the name of the repossession service, call it and tell them where the automobile is. Alternatively, write a note to the repossession agency stating the vehicle's whereabouts.|
|Step 2:||Contact the lender and inform them of the location of the collateral vehicle. Look up the lender's phone number and address in the phone book if you know the company's name. Call the bank to inform them that the loan is in default and the location of the automobile.|
Laws for Repossessing a Car
Auto lenders can confiscate your vehicle without warning if you fall behind on your payments in most areas. They can't, however, break the peace in the process. Usually, breaking the peace entails using or threatening to use physical action against you to reclaim the automobile. It may also just include reclaiming the vehicle from your locked garage. If your lender violates the peace, you may be entitled to damages or be able to use it to defend yourself against a deficiency case.
DoNotPay will make sure your issue gets sent to the right place. We'll upload confirmation documents to your task for you to view, and if the contacts need information, they will reach out to you personally via email or mail.
Help With Repossession of a Car
Having your vehicle repossessed by a lender is an unpleasant situation, and you may wonder what choices you have. Although you may decide to act independently, a car repossession lawyer can assist you. They can explain the vehicle repossession procedure and provide solutions tailored to your situation.
What is a Breach of Peace?
It is illegal for a repossession person to cause a "breach of the peace during the repossession procedure." Using or threatening physical violence and breaking into locked premises violates the peace.
What Is Wrongful Repossession of a Vehicle?
When a customer is not in default or has fixed the default, but the creditor nevertheless repossessed the car, this is known as wrongful repossession.
It happens when an agent breaks into a garage, cuts a lock, or pulls a pistol out and violates peace while repossessing the car.
What Happens if You Don’t Pay Repossession in Florida?
If your vehicle has been repossessed in Florida, you can still redeem it or reaffirm your loan. You can even file bankruptcy to keep your car or stop collection activities on bad debt in the future.
Can You Sue for Wrongful Repossession?
Yes. You might fight for compensation if your car was wrongly repossessed. If your automobile is improperly repossessed, you can sue the repo firm (and the lender). The defendants may be responsible for your legal bills and court costs, depending on the circumstances.
Alternatively, if they don't comply with your demand for compensation, you can escalate the case to Small Claims Court using DotNotPay's Sue Now product.
How To Let DoNotPay Help You With Car Repossessions
DoNotPay can help you file a demand letter for wrongful possession using your state's laws and help you reclaim your vehicle. If the repo is valid, you will have to pay off any balance you owe to reclaim your vehicle. If you can't afford the payments, DoNotPay can help you ask for a payment plan or negotiate the balance you owe.
- Search "car repossession," on DoNotPay and select whether your car has been repossessed or is in danger of being repossessed.
- Enter the state you financed this vehicle in, and let DoNotPay walk you through your state's repossession laws to see if your car was or is being wrongfully repossessed.
- If DoNotPay can make a case for wrongful repossession, it will file a demand letter on your behalf to the lender to fight against.
And that's it. DoNotPay will upload confirmation documents to your task for you to view, and if the contacts need information, they will reach out to you personally via email or mail.
Why Use DoNotPay To Help You With Car Repossessions
DoNotPay is the best option because it is:
- Fast — You won't have to wait for hours as you recover your repossessed vehicle.
- Easy — You won't have to waste time filling out the tedious paperwork required to obtain your repossessed vehicle.
- Successful — You may rest assured that DoNotPay will resolve your case in the most desirable way possible.
DoNotPay Works Across All Companies/Entities/Groups With the Touch of a Button
DoNotPay can help you resolve other similar issues distinct entities. For example:
- DoNotPay can help you request lower payment plans in Kentucky the same way it could for California.
- DoNotPay can help you understand breach of the peace in Florida and help you repossess your car.
What Else Can DoNotPay Do?
DoNotPay also offers other services such as:
- Suing Anyone in Small Claims Court
- Dealing With Parking Tickets the Easy Way
- Jumping the Phone Queue for Any Company
- Finding Lost Items
- Filing a Complaint Against Any Company
- Filling out a Child Travel Consent Form
- Understanding Airline Flight Compensation Hacks
Was your car repossessed wrongfully? DoNotPay may assist you in filing a wrongful possession demand letter and reclaiming your vehicle under the rules of your state. If the repossession is legal and you cannot pay, DoNotPay will help you set up a payment plan. Contact us today to learn more about how we can help.