Unclaimed Money Michigan—How To Find and Claim Your Forgotten Funds
According to the National Association of Unclaimed Property Administrators (NAUPA), there are around 42 billion dollars of forgotten assets held by the states in America. While rarely anyone can get rich by claiming lost funds, you might be entitled to receive around 100 dollars, which is a nice amount. You could treat yourself to a shopping spree or transfer the unclaimed funds to a savings account.
You will learn how to check if you have forgotten assets and to claim them as effortlessly as possible by reading this guide.
Key Points About Unclaimed Money in Michigan
Michigan alone has paid more than 400 million dollars of unclaimed money to the residents since 2014. If you’ve ever lived in this state, there’s a good chance you have some forgotten assets waiting for you to claim them. Money becomes unclaimed if:
- There hasn’t been any activity on the account for some time—usually five years in Michigan. Other states could have a shorter time-frame (around one year)
- The owner can’t be contacted at all—usually regarding inheritance, insurance policy, etc.
The Michigan Department of Treasury is dedicated to helping residents of Michigan check if they have any forgotten funds. The institution holds the funds until an eligible person shows up to claim them. The entire process is completely free, but it might be time-consuming due to extensive databases.
How Many Types of Unclaimed Assets Are There?
Many different types of assets can become the state’s property after some time. The most common types are:
- Safe-deposit box contents
- Savings accounts
- Checking accounts
- Uncashed payroll checks
- Life insurance policies
- Inheritance money
When you run a search for unclaimed money, you’ll be shown all of the assets you’re entitled to, regardless of them being tangible (like safe deposit box contents) or intangible (like checking and savings accounts).
How To Find Unclaimed Money in Michigan and Claim It on Your Own
If you want to search for unclaimed money in Michigan on your own, you have two options to do so:
- On the Unclaimed Property website of the Michigan Department of Treasury, endorsed by the government
- On the Missing Money website if you’d like to have access to a multi-state database
Whichever option you choose, here’s a guide on which steps to follow:
|Michigan Unclaimed Property
Once you find out you’re entitled to unclaimed funds, you can claim them by:
- Calling the Michigan Unclaimed Property Division at (517) 636-5320
- Sending a letter to the following address: Unclaimed Property Division Michigan Department of Treasury PO Box 30756 Lansing, MI 48909
If you lived in other states before Michigan, try checking unclaimed funds there as well. National Association of Unclaimed Property Administrators (NAUPA) gives you access to websites of all the institutions dedicated to finding unclaimed funds.
You can find the dedicated institution of the state in question by following these steps:
- Visit the NAUPA website
- Click on the Find and Claim tab
- Click on the View the Full Map button
- Choose the state in question
- Follow the rest of the instructions
What To Bear in Mind When Looking for Unclaimed Money in MI
You’ll be able to look for unclaimed money not only under your name but also on behalf of your friends or family members, provided that you have some of the following info:
- Full name
- Previous names
- Maiden name
- Current and previous addresses
- Social security number
- List of previous employers
- List of insurers
You probably won’t need all of these details, but it’s always better to prepare them just in case. Try out various name variations and a different order of the first and last name if you can’t find the funds right away.
While you can search for other people’s forgotten funds, you cannot claim the property unless you have documentation that proves your right to claim their money.
The entire process of searching for forgotten funds on your own can be time-consuming. If you aren’t patient enough, rely on DoNotPay to make your search more time-efficient.
How Do I Find Unclaimed Money in Michigan Stress-Free? With DoNotPay, Of Course!
DoNotPay offers the option of searching unclaimed money in Michigan that requires only a few clicks from your side. Our super useful tool called Missing Money will do all the work for you and scan various databases to check if you have any funds waiting to be claimed.
You can search for your forgotten money by following these steps:
- Access your account in a
- Click on the Missing Money tool
- You’ll be asked to provide your middle name and your current and previous addresses
Once you complete all the steps, DoNotPay will perform a thorough search in numerous databases all over the country.
In case you’re entitled to any amount of unclaimed money, you can use a different feature that we offer called Claim My Property. If you choose to do so, we will file a claim on your behalf, which will save you a lot of time.
Hiring someone to file a claim can be expensive, and trying to do it alone is stressful. That’s why you’ll find our Claim My Property tool convenient.
Why Won’t People Claim Lost Money in Michigan?
The number one reason why there’s so much unclaimed money in the U.S. is the fact that residents don’t even know they have funds they’re entitled to. People often forget to collect funds from closed bank accounts or to control if a check they wrote remained uncashed.
Another reason is the amount of unclaimed money they’re entitled to. If there isn’t a lot of money, people often avoid doing anything about it even if they know they have the right to claim it.
Explore Other Fantastic Features of DoNotPay
DoNotPay will help you find and claim forgotten funds not only in Michigan but also all across the U.S., including states such as Virginia, Alabama, Colorado, Mississippi, and South Dakota. While super helpful, Missing Money isn't the only tool we offer.
As soon as you log in to your DoNotPay account from a , you’ll notice a lot of different features that can assist you in solving various everyday problems and administrative conundrums. Rely on DoNotPay whenever you need to:
- Report spam text messages
- Find clinical studies and send your application
- Register for free trials without being charged
- Manage credit card problems
- Terminate unused subscriptions or memberships
- Block spam emails in less than two minutes
- Fight traffic tickets
- Navigate the phone tree hassle-free when calling customer service agents
- Dispute parking tickets
- Handle issues with unpaid bills
- Learn how to deal with stalking and harassment
- Contest speeding tickets
- Ask any company for refunds you’re eligible for
- Send letters to inmates without going to the post office
- Protect your work against copyright violation
- Start using any service without verifying your phone number
- Find and claim any forgotten funds under your name
- File a claim for any warranty
- Waive college application fees
- Report robocalls and get compensation
- Set up appointments with the DMV without wasting time
- Bring anyone to small claims court
- Request refunds and compensation from any airline for delayed or canceled flights