Find Unclaimed Money in SC the Fastest Way
If you live in South Carolina, you shouldn’t miss a chance to check whether you are a rightful owner of some abandoned assets in this state. The United States has more than $50 billion in unclaimed money, and over $500 million are located in SC! We can tell you how to use DoNotPay to find your lost money and claim it all on the same app!
What Is SC Unclaimed Money?
Money becomes unclaimed when companies and institutions can’t get in touch with the owner of assets during a period of one to five years. Once this dormant period comes to an end, the State takes the money and keeps it safe until the person who has proof of ownership turns up to claim them.
South Carolina won’t use the money for any purpose or give you a time limit to claim it. The funds will be safe in the State Treasurer’s hands the entire time.
What Kind of Unclaimed Money Can You Find in South Carolina?
Unclaimed property comes in many forms and shapes, with slight differences among the states. This is what South Carolina considers unclaimed assets to be:
|Does It Qualify as Unclaimed Money in SC?
If you have any suspicions about having unclaimed assets, waste no time and check if any of these types of abandoned funds belong to you.
How Does Money Become Lost in South Carolina?
Since there are millions of unclaimed dollars in South Carolina only, money going missing is not such a rare occurrence. Numerous reasons lead to assets getting lost, and some of the most common ones are:
- Dying and not having an official heir to your belongings
- Resigning without picking up the final paycheck
- Switching residence and not letting anyone know the new address
- Not knowing you are an heir to an inheritance
- Banks not processing refunds correctly
What all of these reasons have in common is that a certain individual made a mistake. A misspelled name can lead to assets getting lost, so it is no surprise that such amounts of money are waiting to be claimed.
Find Unclaimed Money in South Carolina Using DoNotPay
DoNotPay makes finding unclaimed money in South Carolina a straightforward task. We can help you check if you have any abandoned assets under your name in three simple steps:
- Open DoNotPay in a
- Locate and choose the Missing Money feature
- Enter the requested personal info
Make sure to include the addresses you used to live at and other personal information like your middle name for a more precise search. If there is a match with your data, you can use our Claim My Property feature to claim what is rightfully yours easily!
How To Search for Unclaimed Money in South Carolina?
You have the option of looking for unclaimed assets in South Carolina by yourself. To do so, you’ll need to follow these instructions:
- Visit the State Treasurer of South Carolina website
- Enter your first and last name
- Type in the city you believe the money is located in
- Click on the Search button
- Select the Claim button if you find a match to your name
- Click on View Claimed Properties to submit the claim
You’ll have to follow other instructions provided to get to your assets. This procedure can often get complicated, so it’s better to pick the safe alternative—. To better understand how the search for unclaimed funds by Social Security number works, you can consult our app as well!
How To Prevent Your Money From Going Missing in South Carolina?
Even though it is not always up to us, we should try and keep our money safe from getting lost. There are some simple tips and tricks that might lower the chances of you losing your assets:
- Keep bank accounts active
- Make a deposit or withdrawal from your account once in a while
- Update your contact information regularly
- Get in touch with your financial institution yearly
- Cash your checks from time to time
How To Avoid Unclaimed Money Scams in South Carolina?
You can always find scammers who wish to trick people, especially in situations when money is involved. It’s the same when dealing with unclaimed assets, so you need to make sure you know who to trust—or better, who not to trust.
These are some of the red flags that you’re dealing with a scammer:
- An individual telling you to hurry up with claiming what is rightfully yours—when in reality there is no time limit to get your money
- Someone asking you to pay them for money-claiming services—getting your money back is free
- The person not having any proof of being connected to the official government institution—if they can’t prove they are legit, do not trust them
Check out our unclaimed money reviews for a better understanding of how to avoid scams.
DoNotPay Is the Champion of Customer Advocacy
If you’ve never experienced an issue with a purchased item, you should consider yourself extremely lucky. When shopping goes wrong, you usually have to brace yourself for unpleasant and annoying exchanges with customer support centers.
DoNotPay is here to make exercising your consumer rights easy. Long holds when calling customer service reps and incessant marketing spam emails can stay in the past. We will help you avoid irritating text messages from online retailers by teaching you how to bypass phone verification when signing up.
Wait, There’s More!
If you have a problem with bureaucracy, the chances are DoNotPay knows how to fix it with your minimal involvement.
Leave the grunt work and unnecessary expenses behind. We will help you pass various government tests with flying colors, find unclaimed money in all states, or get out of parking tickets before you know it!