How to Get Rental Assistance in Fresno, CA
Economic hardships might have you looking at threats of eviction and being homeless. The federal and state governments offer rental assistance to people in need under certain conditions.
The application process for rental assistance might not be successful due to several factors. DoNotPay can successfully help you apply for rental assistance in Fresno, CA. Sign up on our website, give us a little more information and wait as we handle the entire process for you.
Rental Assistance in Fresno, California
Rental assistance in Fresno, CA, is offered by the government, church, and independent organizations. Examples of organizations offering rental assistance to people in need in Fresno, California, are:
- Community Services Block Grant (CSBG)
- Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)
- Weatherization Assistance Program
- Saint Vincent de Paul financial assistance
- Catholic Charities
What Is the Emergency Rental Assistance Program (ERAP)?
Emergency Rental Assistance Program (ERAP) is a program by the federal government that was established to allocate funds to states' local government units, tribal communities, and territories.
The City of Fresno ERAP receives funds from the federal and state governments to provide relief to citizens in need. The program offers housing stability to tenants at an economic disadvantage and to landlords struggling to stay afloat due to a lack of rental income from their residential rental houses.
ERAP covers the following bills to its beneficiaries:
- Unpaid rental arrears
- Future rent
- Unpaid and future utility bills
Who Is Eligible for ERAP?
Rental relief from ERAP is open to every deserving Fresno citizen. You need to meet a couple of standards.
For a tenant applying for rental relief, you must:
- Meet the Fresno County Area Median Income requirements
- Be a current resident of rental property in the city of Fresno
- Fully submit their application through the tenant's portion of online registration
You must provide the following documents:
- Your current tax return
- Your current and valid W2 and 1099G if you are unemployed
- Current acceptance or renewal letter proving your participation in state or federal subsidy programs such as CalFresh or CalWORKS
If you are applying for help in managing your utility bills, attach current and valid invoices or statements of any unpaid utility bills.
If you are a landlord and your tenants are having a hard time keeping up with their rent payments, you can intervene and ask for help, on their behalf, from ERAP. You will be granted the needed assistance only if:
- Your tenant's household income is eligible for the grant according to the Fresno County Area Median Income scale
- All the money you receive will be used to settle your tenant's rent needs
- Your tenants prove the eligibility requirements and sign the application
If you're applying as a tenet, you must also meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Your rental premises are with the city of Fresno
- You have eligible tenants who need rental assistance
- You must fully complete your application on your tenant's section of the ERAP website
Make sure you attach the following documents:
- Updated rental or lease agreement bearing the name, address, and due amount of the specific tenant in need tenant
- Updated rent ledger showing the arrears or prospective rent amount
- W-9 for tax purposes
If you have met all the qualifying criteria, you will receive assistance according to the following priority scale defined by ERAP :
- Priority 1 – Rent arrears for applicants below 50% Area Median Income (AMI)
- Priority 2 – Rent arrears for applicants between 50% and 80% AMI
- Priority 3 – Utility arrears
- Priority 4 – Prospective Rent
How to Apply for Rental Assistance in Fresno on Your Own
To apply for rental assistance from ERAP in Fresno, you can call the offices or go through the official City of Fresno website.
To apply by phone call, call 559-515-4700, and the receiver will guide you through the whole process.
To apply on the website, visit the Fresno rental help website, click how to apply, then scroll down the page and select either 'I'm a landlord' or 'I'm a tenant' and download the application form.
Fill out the application form as prompted and attach the necessary documents. You can choose to send your application via email or by physical mail, addressing it to the following address:
RH Community Builders
2550 W Clinton Ave #142
Fresno, CA 93705
You should not submit more than one application to avoid delays in services caused by duplicates. The Department of Human Services will get back to you through the same channel you sent your message and update you on the status of your application.
How to Apply for Rental Assistance in Fresno, California With The Help of DoNotPay
Applying for rental assistance might not be a smooth process. Due to the huge volume of service applicants, your application might be overlooked because of a simple mistake you made. Use DoNotPay for a fast, sure, and reliable way to get rental assistance in Fresno, California.
We can compose a letter to your local housing authority based on your situation and inquire about your best options for receiving assistance. Here are the four steps:
- Search for Rental Assistance on DoNotPay.
- Put together a list of your income, debts, expenses, and assets. If you need help accessing information like your credit report, DoNotPay can help you get your report.
- Let DoNotPay collect your basic information and compose a letter to your local housing authority requesting rental assistance.
- Lastly, DoNotPay will send your letter to your local housing authority.
What Else Can DoNotPay Help You With?
Aside from rental assistance in Fresno, CA, we can also assist you with the following inquiries:
|Rental Housing Assistance Program||Paying Rent Today||Paying Rent to Avoid Eviction|
|Rental Assistance||Resources for Rental Assistance||HUD Rental Assistance|
|Government Assistance for Rent||Get Help With Rent||How Long Does It Take to Get Rental Assistance?|
DoNotPay helps you apply and get rental assistance in Fresno, California, fast, easy, and conveniently. We partner with government entities and private companies to bring these services and more:
- Get help paying your bills
- File for a victim of crime compensation
- Contact embassies and consulates
- File for copyright protection
- Create official passport photos
Sign up today and enjoy all our convenient services!