Everything You Need to Know About Rental Assistance in Broward County
If you are struggling with rent and other housing expenses due to the pandemic, you can seek rental assistance from federal and state governments and several non-profit organizations. You can get relief from rent arrears, eviction notices, pending utility bills, security deposits, and future rent payments.
However, applying for is complicated because you have to fill out lengthy forms requiring technical details about your identity and eligibility. Fortunately, DoNotPay has an automated application portal where you provide the required information and documents so that our staff can complete the application for you.
Broward County Rental Assistance Programs
Several federal and state agencies provide to households and tenants facing eviction. The HUD Continuum of Care (CoC) program assists financially distressed tenants with funds for overdue rent payments, security deposits, and facilitation of transitional housing.
CoC or the Emergency Solution Grant (ESG) offers financial assistance to households at risk of eviction or facing financial hardships and homeless persons. It provides emergency financial assistance in the form of grants to families with overdue housing expenses or at risk of eviction. The program prioritizes the disabled, seniors, and residents facing one-off, unexpected emergencies.
Broward County Cares Act Rent Assistance
Broward County offers emergency rental assistance to residents struggling financially due to the pandemic. The county received around $53 million of ERAP funding to allocate to residents who need help with rent and utility bills. Eligibility requirements include:
- At least one member of the household qualifies for unemployment and has experienced a reduction in income or is experiencing financial hardship.
- Demonstrate the risk of housing instability or homelessness
- A household income at or below 80% of the area median income
The application process can take time due to the technical nature of the requirements and confusing terms.
How to Apply for Rent Relief in Broward County
Go to the ERAP Broward County website and fill out the application form. You will be required to provide identification documents and proof of tenancy and financial distress.
|Name of Program||Type of Aid||Phone Number||Application Link|
|Broward County Housing Authority||Section 8 vouchers, Relief for defaulted mortgages||(954) 739-1114||Application|
|Homeless Prevention and Rapid Re-Housing Program||Emergency housing, deposits, rent, and mortgage assistance||(954) 561-9681||Application|
|Homeless Initiative Partnership (HIP)||Eviction assistance and emergency housing, ESG grants, mediation||(954) 537-0211||Application|
Who Is Eligible for Homeless Initiative Partnership (HIP)?
HIP prioritizes households that are facing a short-term financial crisis. They may provide funds to cover rent, give vouchers, or provide transitional housing and rehousing when the applicants achieve financial stability. Applicants need to provide:
- proof of residency in Broward County
- immigration status
- identification documents
- copies of the lease
- proof of financial hardship
How Long Does It Take To Receive Rental Assistance?
There is always a waiting list, but applicants can know the status of their application within 30 to 45 days if there are no errors in the application form. Errors and reviews can delay the application to over two months.
Other Rental Assistance Programs in Broward County
- Junior Welfare Society - (954) 296-2667 - offers one-time emergency financial assistance for rent payments and bill assistance.
- Mount Bethel- Family Resource Center Program - (954) 763-5011 - provides funds for rent payments and mortgage assistance.
- Hallandale Human Services - (954) 457-1460 - provides one-time rental and utility bill assistance.
Church Assistance Programs
- Broward County Catholic Charities - Emergency Services - (954) 568-6610 - provides partial financial support for paying rent and mortgage.
- Church Resource Center - (954) 532-7548 - provides payments for utility bills and rent.
- The Salvation Army - provides emergency rent and utility payments and transitional housing to low-income households.
Senior Rental Assistance Programs
- Area Agency on Aging - Aging and Disability Resource Center assists seniors with utility bill payments.
- The Northwest Federated Woman's Club of Broward County Inc. provides utility bill assistance to seniors on behalf of Florida.
Resources for Rental Relief
- The National Low Income Housing Coalition provides a comprehensive list of programs that assist distressed tenants.
- ERAP FAQs and requirements for applicants
- Commonly asked questions about rent relief
How to Apply for Rental Relief on Your Own
Visit the website of the relevant program and fill out the application form. You will also be required to upload:
- Identification documents
- Income verification documents
- Lease documents
- Proof of homelessness or risk of housing instability
However, doing it alone can be slow and frustrating because you may have to submit it several times due to errors and omissions.
Alternatives for Applying if You Can't Do It Yourself
Agency staff and case managers can help you complete the application. But you may have to wait till they are free to answer your call or chat request.
Solve the Rental Assistance Problem With the Help of the Help of DoNotPay
- Search for Rental Assistance on DoNotPay.
- Put together a list of your income, debts, expenses, and assets. If you need help accessing information like your credit report, DoNotPay can help you get your report.
- Let DoNotPay collect your basic information and compose a letter to your local housing authority requesting rental assistance.
- Lastly, DoNotPay will send your letter to your local housing authority.
DoNotPay Works Across All Companies/Entities/Groups With the Click of a Button
DoNotPay can help you get rental assistance from foundations, charities, and community-based organizations.
What Else Can DoNotPay Do?
DoNotPay provides a wide range of helpful content and services. Our services include:
- Paying bills
- Discovering and applying for scholarships
- DMV appointments
- Filing a complaint
- Missing money issues
- Reduction of property taxes
- Free trials