How to Get Rental Assistance In Des Moines, Iowa
The COVID-19 pandemic left millions in need of rental assistance. If you are looking for , DoNotPay can help.
The COVID-19 pandemic changed all of our lives. It also left millions facing eviction and on the verge of homelessness. In Des Moines, IA, there is available aid if you were affected by the pandemic with either job loss, decreased income, or if you had COVID and are still struggling. While there is federal aid, the City of Des Moines prefers its own. There is also a full year of rent available to those who qualify.
With so many resources, it should not be that hard to find the rental assistance you need. Yet, some of these resources specialize in one type of help while others specialize in the more immediate need for those who already have an eviction notice on their door. It can be confusing figuring out where to go for help. Read on to learn about the many resources in Des Moines. If you are still confused, DoNotPay can help.
Rental Assistance in Des Moines, IA
is under the oversight of the Iowa Financial Authority.
Rental Assistance for Des Moines is funded by the Emergency Rental Assistance Program (ERAP) for Iowa. It is the government assistance program for those who cannot pay rent due to circumstances brought on by the COVID-19 pandemic. The money is paid directly to your landlord. To see if you qualify, visit Impact.
Eligibility Requirements for the IMPACT program for Des Moines, IA
To qualify for funds from the IMPACT program, you must be:
- Renter households whose income is less than 80% of the Area Median Income (AMI)
- Must be past due on rent
- Renter households who have been affected by the COVID-19 pandemic, who have experienced a reduction in income, or who have incurred significant costs due to COVID-19
- You must be able to provide documented proof of the hardship that has prevented you from paying your rent.
You will be considered ineligible if:
- Renter household income exceeds 80% of the AMI.
- You have not been affected by the COVID-19 pandemic.
- You cannot provide documented proof of your hardship.
- Homeowner household.
Due to demand, it can take a few weeks to process your application and get funds to your landlord. It is best to keep lines of communication with your landlord open while you wait for approval and funding.
Alternative Rental Assistance Programs in Des Moines
There are a few alternatives to the IMPACT program, such as:
The table below shows some organizations that offer rent assistance in Des Moines, Iowa:
|Name of Program||Address||Phone Number|
|Cross Ministries||3226 University Ave, Des Moines, IA||(515) 279-9998|
|Salvation Army||520 35th Street, Des Moines, IA||(515) 282-3599|
|St Vincent De Paul Society||1426 Sixth Ave, Des Moines IA 50314||(515) 282-8327|
|Polk County Community, Family & Youth Services||2309 Euclid Ave, Des Moines, IA 50310||(515) 286-2018|
|Iowa Finance Authority||2015 Grand Avenue, Des Moines, IA 50312||(515) 725-4900|
How to Apply for Rent Relief in Des Moines, Iowa
To apply for rent relief in Des Moines, IA, you will need to apply to the IMPACT program or one of the alternative programs listed above.
To apply to the IMPACT program for rent relief, you will need to gather some documentation first. You will need to prove that you either filed for unemployment, show through tax returns that your household had a loss of income last year, or prove that you have significant expenses from bills related to the COVID-19 pandemic. You will need these to prove need. You must also be past due on your rent. With this documentation, you can visit the IMPACT website to fill out the necessary forms.
If you cannot get to Impact, you can call any alternative services listed above. They will guide you on how to apply for their programs.
How to Find Rental Assistance in Des Moines by Yourself
To find the rental assistance you need in Des Moines, IA, you should:
- Access the IMPACT website.
- Begin to fill out the form.
- Realize that you need documentation.
- Find unemployment paperwork.
- Find tax forms
- Find medical bills
- Finish the application and upload documentation.
- Notify your landlord that you have applied for assistance.
- Wait for approval or denial.
- If denied, start calling other area programs.
- Talk to representatives at each program and get applications.
- Fill out applications for assistance for each program.
- Wait for approval or denial.
- Once you receive approval from any of them, go pick up your funds.
- Pay the landlord.
- If denied, start packing and prepare to move in with grumpy relatives or to a homeless shelter.
Next Steps if You Cannot Find Rental Assistance by Yourself
If you cannot find rental assistance by yourself, you can:
- Attempt to borrow money from family members
- Attempt to borrow money from friends.
- Try to qualify for a bank loan.
- Get Payday loans that will put you even deeper in debt.
- Go to DoNotPay and let them help you.
Using DoNotPay to Find Rental Assistance in Des Moines
When you need assistance in getting something done, DoNotPay is a click of a button away from finding help with rental relief.
DoNotPay can compose a letter to your local housing authority based on your situation and inquire about your best options for receiving assistance. Here are the four steps:
- Search for Rental Assistance on DoNotPay.
- Put together a list of your income, debts, expenses, and assets. If you need help accessing information like your credit report, DoNotPay can help you get your report.
- Let DoNotPay collect your basic information and compose a letter to your local housing authority requesting rental assistance.
- Lastly, DoNotPay will send your letter to your local housing authority.
Why Use DoNotPay to Find Rental Assistance in Des Moines
When you use DoNotPay, you get things done in a way that is
- Fast. Provide DoNotPay with your personal information.
- Easy. It all starts by clicking on a button.
- Successful. The letter generated and submitted by DoNotPay will get the ball rolling for your rental assistance in Des Moines, IA.
DoNotPay Provides Help Across All Areas
DoNotPay does not just help with rental assistance. They have solutions across all areas.
Do you need to get a copy of your birth certificate, and you are not quite sure how? DoNotPay can help. If your bills are overwhelming and you need to file for bankruptcy, DoNotPay can help you with that as well. Do you need to have the APR adjusted on your credit cards? DoNotPay can help with that. If you need an excuse to get off of jury duty or request sick leave from work, DoNotPay has options for those things as well. If robocalls are getting to you and you want a chance at compensation for it, DoNotPay has a tool for that as well.
DoNotPay has a seemingly endless amount of options they can help you with. Visit us today to learn more.
What Else Can DoNotPay Do?
Here are just a few other things that DoNotPay can help you with:
- Consolidate your payday loans
- Lower your bills
- Customize standardized legal documents
- Find missing money
- File a case in small claims court
- Get one of those hard-to-find DMV appointments
- Reduce your property taxes
- File a complaint
This list is just the tip of the iceberg. To find out how DoNotPay can best help you, visit us and get started with the click of a button.