Claim Rent Assistance In Austin, TX
Rental assistance is needed everywhere. Any family living month-to-month can suddenly require rental assistance when your finances are interrupted, or a major expense is introduced to the family. From lost jobs to medical bills, housing instability is an unfortunately common status for Austin residents. If you need , you are not alone.
There are dozens of available housing assistance programs, ranging from the official Austin RENT program to local churches and community programs throughout Tarrant County. DoNotPay can help you find the right rental program for your needs, build a strong application, and follow the process until you have reestablished housing security.
Rental Assistance in Austin, TX
Austin, TX provides a wide range of rental assistance options. The most prominent, however, is the RENT program. RENT stands for Relief of Emergency Needs for Tenants - a clever acronym that explains its purpose clearly. Every year, the RENT program distributes available funding to help local Austin residents pay for upcoming or delinquent rent payments and utility bills.
starts here. However, if all RENT funds are currently unavailable, you may need to diversify your search to include Tarrant County and local community rental assistance programs.
How Do I Apply for Rent Relief in Austin, TX?
The table below shows how you can apply for rental assistance in Austin, TX.
|Name of Program||Type of Aid||Phone Number||Email Address||Application Link|
|RENT Assistance Program||Direct payment to landlord||(512) 488-1397||Application|
|HATC Housing Authority of Travis County||Vouchers and Resources||(512) 854-8245||Application|
|Section 8 HUD||Vouchers||(512) 480-8245||Not specified||Application|
RENT Assistance Program
To apply for the Austin RENT program, you will need to create an account by following the Signup link. To be eligible, your household will need
- 80% or lower of the Area Median Income (AMI),
- Qualified for unemployment or be probably impacted by the pandemic,
- At the risk of homelessness or unsafe housing conditions.
- Live within Austin's full-purpose Jurisdiction
- US citizenship or legal residency is not required
Housing Authority Travis County
You can apply for affordable housing, housing choice vouchers, or permanent housing services. Explore the website to find out more.
Section 8 HUD
The Section 8 HUD vouchers for extremely low-income families are currently on a waitlist program and have been since 2018. However, you can create your application to become eligible for the random voucher lottery by making an account through the applicant portal link above.
How to Get Austin Rental Assistance on Your Own
How can you get rent assistance in Austin, TX on your own steam? It is a project that requires a lot of research and patience. Many Austin housing programs are currently spent on waitlists, while others will require more time sharing documents and talking on the phone than you might realize.
- To apply for Austin RENT support, you will need to sign up to be notified when the next round of funding is available. To apply for a Section 8 HUD voucher, you will be putting yourself on a long waitlist with random drawings to determine recipients. You will need:
- Email and phone number
- Full name, DOB, gender, race, ethnicity, relationship, and official identification number for every member of the household
- Current home address
- Household's current gross monthly income - before taxes - and type of income
- Landlord's name, address, and phone
- Government-issued photo ID for head of household
- The Texas 211 program is a hotline that does not provide direct support but can connect you with multiple community rental assistance programs in Austin, TX. You will then need to reach out to each church and organization to see if they have available vouchers or funding - and if you are eligible for their program.
- HTAC or Housing Authority of Travis County has several programs and benefits for those who need affordable housing or rental assistance, and your best bet is the HUD-based HCV or Housing Choice Voucher program. However, this program is also on a "limited waitlist."
How DoNotPay Can Help You With Rental Assistance in Austin, TX
The simple task of finding an available rental assistance program in Austin, TX is exhausting enough. All of the leading programs are currently on waitlist status, and the application process requires a great deal of uploading documents. If you need rental assistance right now, you'll need help finding a program that is both available and that you are eligible to benefit from. DoNotPay can help.
As an online service, we have the time and expertise to sort through the clutter and pinpoint exactly which programs have the most potential to benefit you. We can then draft a strong application with all the right documents to give you the best chance at receiving the Austin rental assistance you need.
We can compose a letter to your local housing authority based on your situation and inquire about your best options for receiving assistance. Here are the four steps:
- Search for Rental Assistance on DoNotPay.
- Put together a list of your income, debts, expenses, and assets. If you need help accessing information like your credit report, DoNotPay can help you get your report.
- Let DoNotPay collect your basic information and compose a letter to your local housing authority requesting rental assistance.
- Lastly, DoNotPay will send your letter to your local housing authority.
DoNotPay Can Help With Rental Assistance in Any State, City, or County
Do you need rental assistance somewhere other than Austin, TX? Do you know other people who need help with rental assistance programs? DoNotPay can help across every state, city, and county in the US.
Aside from rent assistance in Austin, TX, we can also assist you with the following inquiries:
What Else Can DoNotPay Do?
DoNotPay was built to make everyday problems easy. Our goal is to save you time, money, and headaches. Whether that's cashing gift cards or helping you find the rental assistance you need to maintain housing stability, DoNotPay is here to help. Explore our many other services to find ways we can ease your burden this year. Here are just a few other services you might find helpful right now.
- Discover and Apply for Scholarships
- Help with Bills
- Book a DMV Appointment
- Free Trials Without Paying
- Find Missing Money in Your Name
- Sue in Small Claims Court
- Reducing Property Taxes
- File a Complaint