Everything You Need to Know About Pinellas County Rent Assistance
Unexpected financial hardships can make it difficult to pay your rent on time. Things like surprise expenses, health problems, the loss of your job, and other challenges can make it hard to meet your rent obligations. Luckily, you could apply for or seek help from government agencies, charity programs, and non-profit organizations.
Depending on your situation or circumstances, you could qualify for government rental assistance programs (ERAP) for a one-time payment or a longer-term rental housing assistance program. If you don't know where to start, you could visit the HUD website to find help for several queries, including:
- Resources for rental assistance
- How to get help with rent
- How to get help with my rent today
- How long does it take to receive rental assistance?
- Help to pay rent to avoid eviction
Alternatively, DoNotPay can help you find rental assistance resources to fix a short-term rent problem. We can help you present your financial situation clearly and directly to get a fair shot at rental assistance.
Rental Assistance in Pinellas County
Pinellas County has several agencies and non-governmental organizations providing grants to help with rent and other expenses such as housing, utility bills, debt service, medication for low-income seniors, and even groceries. Most programs are for the working poor and senior citizens.
Below are some emergency rental assistance programs:
Pinellas County Emergency Rental Assistance Program
Pinellas County introduced the Emergency Rental Assistance Program in March 2020 to help residents pay their rent and cater to other household expenses during the COVID-19 pandemic. Eligibility requirements were a household income below 80% of the area median income (AMI).
State of Florida Emergency Rental Assistance Program (OUR Florida)
It's a state-level government assistance program for rent and other utilities.
Emergency Serviced and Crisis Program
It offers limited, one-time financial assistance and grants for rent, mortgage payments, and other expenses.
Other Rental Assistance Programs in Pinellas County
Additional rental assistance programs from government agencies and nonprofits include:
- Pinellas County Human Services Department: Offers rent, mortgage, and utility grants for low-income families.
- Suncoast Center, Inc: It's a family loan program offering competitive interest rate loans to low-income families.
- Catholic Charities, City ESG Homeless Prevention: Assistance for past rent and unpaid bills
- High Point Neighborhood Family Center: Offers housing and rental assistance Clearwater, FL, residents enjoy.
How to Apply for Rent Relief in Pinellas County?
Below are the application procedures of three government programs:
Pinellas County Emergency Rental Assistance Program
It helps residents affected by the COVID-19 pandemic. To apply:
- Visit the Pinellas County COVID-19 response website
- Check if you qualify to receive rent assistance
- Apply here for your ERAP rental assistance
- You can also call the emergency assistance helpline at 855-379-3515
Pinellas County Housing Choice Voucher (Section 8)
You can visit the Pinellas County Housing Authority website to apply for the Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) program. To apply:
- Contact your housing advisor for help by calling (727) 443-7684 and dialing their extension.
- Visit the waitlist page here to apply and keep checking your status here. Additionally, you can call the waitlist hotline at 727-450-2111
Pinellas County Human Services Department
You can apply for rent relief from the Human Services Department of Pinellas County.
- Visit the Human Services website
- Click on the "For Resident" section to expand it
- Select family housing assistance to check eligibility
- Call the Human Services hotline for help at (727) 464-4200
- Download the affordable housing funding application, fill in the correct details, and submit it.
|Name of Program||Type of Aid||Phone Number||Email Address||Application Link|
|Pinellas County Emergency Rental Assistance Program||Rental Assistance||855-379-3515||Application|
|Pinellas County Section 8||Rental Assistance||(727) 443-7684 or 727-450-2111||Application|
|Pinellas County Human Services Department||Rental assistance||(727) 464-4200||Not specified||Application|
How to Apply for Housing Assistance in Pinellas County by Yourself
Applying for rental assistance is a tedious process that requires you to:
- Identify the type of relief program available in your area.
- Check out the eligibility requirements.
- Follow the specific program's application process, such as applying online or downloading the forms and later submitting them.
- You may need to call the program's hotline for assistance with your application and submission.
- Due to a large number of applicants, your application could remain pending for up to four weeks.
- You need to constantly follow up with your application throughout the process and check if you were successful.
Apply for Rental Assistance With DoNotPay
DoNotPay helps simplify the entire application process in simple steps. It enables you to bypass frustrating issues like password resets, demanding applications, crashing government websites, and follow-up. We can compose your application letter to Pinellas County Housing assistance program based on your situation and inquire about your best available options.
- Search for Rental Assistance on DoNotPay.
- Put together a list of your income, debts, expenses, and assets. If you need help accessing information like your credit report, DoNotPay can help you get your report.
- Let DoNotPay collect your basic information and compose a letter to your local housing authority requesting rental assistance.
- Lastly, DoNotPay will send your letter to your local housing authority.
Why Use DoNotPay for Rental Assistance
DoNotPay is a fast, convenient, and easy way to apply for Pinellas County rent assistance. The app works across different agencies, charities, and programs with the click of a button!