Claim Rental Assistance in Mobile County, AL

iEditorial Note: These blog posts represent the opinion of DoNotPay’s Writers, but each person’s situation and circumstances vary greatly. As a result, you should make sure to do your own independent research. Because everyone is unique, our self-help tools are never guaranteed to help with any specific situation. DoNotPay is not a law firm, is not licensed to practice law, and is not equivalent to the services of a licensed lawyer. DoNotPay provides a platform for legal information and self-help, and does not offer legal services. Third party news articles mentioned on our website do not necessarily reflect the views of the company, or the current services that we offer.

Claim Rental Assistance in Mobile County, AL

According to the latest statistics, the majority of those renting in Mobile County spend more than 35 percent of their monthly income on rent, and the average amount of rent is between $500 and $749 a month. Falling behind on your rent can be debilitating, but you can get .

Rental Assistance in Mobile County, Alabama

If you were not able to apply for through the Treasury's Emergency Rental and Utility Assistance (TERA) program, you might have to wait since this program is no longer accepting applications for aid.

However, other options are available if you need help with your rent and live in Mobile County.

Catholic Social Services

From counseling to refugee services, Catholic Social Services of the Archdiocese of Mobile offers emergency financial assistance for families in need. Aside from providing emergency assistance with food, household appliances, and personal hygiene items, they offer limited cash assistance for:

  1. Medicine
  2. Utilities
  3. Rent
  4. Transportation

To apply for this help, you'll need:

  • Current state-issued photo ID for every adult household member
  • Current lease or mortgage statement, or documentation of public housing
  • All current monthly bills
  • Names, birthdates, and social security cards for every person in the household
  • Proof of income:
  • Four consecutive pay stubs
  • Proof of SSI/SSDI
  • Child support
  • Unemployment and/or VA benefits
  • TANF award letter
  • SNAP award letter
  • Any other type of household income

They operate by appointment only from Monday to Friday, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at 188 S. Florida St. Mobile. Contact them at 251-434-1500 to schedule an appointment.

Christ United Methodist

Lifegate is a community outreach service providing emergency assistance to those in need, particularly the elderly or disabled. While they don't specifically tout helping with rent, they provide other services that may be of help to you and might be able to assist with rent payments.

Lifegate clients must make an appointment to be seen. To make an appointment, call 251-380-0583 on Mondays or Wednesdays between 8:00 a.m. and 10:30 a.m. They are located at 6101 Grelot Road in Mobile.

It would be helpful to gather as much information about your financial situation as possible to share with the person you meet with. Anything that shows financial hardship or problems paying rent despite trying your best would help show that you're doing the best you can.

Salvation Army Coastal Alabama Area Command

Within their social services assistance programs, the Salvation Army of Coastal Alabama Area Command offers assistance with rent and utility payments. Located at 1009 Dauphin Street, you can contact them through their website to find out more information or call them at 251-438-1625.

Mobile Community Action

The Mobile Community Action, Inc. helps individuals and/or families who are at or below 125 percent of the Federal poverty level. If you meet these financial criteria, you might qualify for rental, mortgage, or utility assistance through their program.

To apply for assistance through MCA, you'll need:

  • A current utility bill named under the head of the household or his/her spouse
  • Current picture identification for the applicant
  • Social Security card(s) for all household members
  • Income verification (for the previous month) for all adult members of the household

Located at 461 Donald Street in Mobile, you can reach them at 251-457-5700.

Homeless Coalition Housing First

If you are homeless or facing imminent homelessness, the Coordinated Entry program through the Homeless Coalition in Mobile might be able to offer assistance. Their housing assistance location is at 279 N. Washington Ave., Bldg. 3, Mobile, AL 36603.

Once an applicant is deemed eligible for assistance, you'll be assigned a case manager to help you find additional resources and avoid losing your home. Contact them at 251-450-3345 or send an email request for an appointment.

The Homeless Coalition also offers services for veterans and their families called Supportive Services for Veterans and Families (SSVF). This program is reserved exclusively for veterans and their families facing imminent risk of homelessness or experiencing homelessness. To qualify for SSVF, you must:

  • Be homeless or at imminent risk of losing housing.
  • Have served in the armed forces and completed basic training.
  • Have any discharge status, except dishonorable.
  • Not surpass the 50 percent Average Monthly Income (AMI) limit for their household size.

Veterans facing rental problems or at risk of homelessness can contact them at 251-450-3345 or email them with any questions.

How to Get Rental Assistance With DoNotPay

When you're behind on your rent, it's frustrating enough without having to weed through paperwork appointments and try to figure out what will work for you and your family, and what won't. DoNotPay can help. We can compose a letter to your local housing authority based on your situation and inquire about your best options for receiving assistance. Here are the four steps:

  1. Search for Rental Assistance on DoNotPay.

  2. Put together a list of your income, debts, expenses, and assets. If you need help accessing information like your credit report, DoNotPay can help you get your report.

  3. Let DoNotPay collect your basic information and compose a letter to your local housing authority requesting rental assistance.

  4. Lastly, DoNotPay will send your letter to your local housing authority.

What Else Can DoNotPay Do?

Aside from rental assistance in Mobile County, we can also assist you with the following inquiries:

Rental Housing Assistance ProgramPaying Rent TodayPaying Rent to Avoid Eviction
Rental AssistanceResources for Rental AssistanceHUD Rental Assistance
Government Assistance for RentGet Help With RentHow Long Does It Take to Get Rental Assistance?

We know you have a lot on your mind already. Let DoNotPay help you get the rental assistance you need so you can rest a little easier. Sign up to find out how DoNotPay can help!

Want your issue solved now?