How to Get Rental Assistance In Florida
Florida has more than 28,000 homeless people, with the four main contributors being:
- Lack of affordable housing
- Low wages
If you or your family are struggling to stay afloat and stay in your home, here is a list of where you can apply for emergency rental assistance in Florida. Be sure to gather as much information as you can to make filling out the applications easier.
To make it even easier, you can use the services of DoNotPay to apply for rental assistance.
Where to Apply for Rental Assistance in Florida
There are nearly three dozen city and county offices that offer emergency through the Federal Emergency Rental Assistance Program (ERAP).
It's important to note that these funds are provided by the federal government and can be limited and/or exhausted. Make sure to contact the right office in your county to find out about funds availability.
The Department of Housing and Urban Development offers assistance for those needing help with rent or finding more affordable housing. They have a database of affordable and/or subsidized housing options and many other resources to assist those in need.
Opportunities for Utilities and Rental Assistance (OUR Florida)
This program, offered by the Florida Department of Children and Families, aims to help Floridian renters with rent and utilities. You can apply easily online. Floridians who rent their home are eligible if they:
- Earn an income at or below 80% of the area's median income; and
- Have qualified for unemployment, experienced a loss of income, incurred significant costs, or faced financial hardships due to the COVID-19 public health emergency; and
- Are at risk of losing their home or are living in unstable or unhealthy conditions.
Additionally, you will need to provide proof of:
- Rent due
- Household income
- Economic hardship due to COVID-19
- Risk of eviction and/or instability
Florida Emergency Solutions Grant Program (EFAHP)
While the EFAHP funding is not always consistent, there are funds available to you if you're in need of rental assistance, whether you're renting or paying a mortgage. If you're facing eviction, your local Continuity of Care (CoC) facility can provide you a one-time payment to help ease your rent burden.
You can find your local CoC organization, or find the names and contact information for organizations in all counties in Florida. The Florida EFAHP program tends to favor families with young children so those with young dependents will likely be prioritized.
Salvation Army Florida
The Salvation Army of Florida has multiple locations to assist you with rental and utilities assistance, training, and more. To find out the nearest location of a Salvation Army near you, check the Salvation Army website and enter your address.
Many local churches are willing to lend a hand to those in need. Reach out to your local churches and ask if they have a rental assistance program or funding to assist those facing homelessness.
How to Apply for Housing Assistance in Florida With DoNotPay
Weeding through the hundreds of programs and grants and availability of rental assistance can be overwhelming and frustrating. Thankfully, DoNotPay can help you navigate this territory much easier.
We can compose a letter to your local housing authority based on your situation and inquire about your best options for receiving assistance. Here are the four steps:
- Search for Rental Assistance on DoNotPay.
- Put together a list of your income, debts, expenses, and assets. If you need help accessing information like your credit report, DoNotPay can help you get your report.
- Let DoNotPay collect your basic information and compose a letter to your local housing authority requesting rental assistance.
- Lastly, DoNotPay will send your letter to your local housing authority.
What Else Can DoNotPay Do?
Solving rental assistance issues is one of many things DoNotPay can help you with. Whether you're missing your pet, disputing a hotel bill, filing a complaint, or cleaning up your credit report, DoNotPay offers services that will save you time, money, and headaches.
Try it today for:
- Paying bills
- Discovering and applying for scholarships
- DMV appointments
- Filing a complaint
- Missing money issues
- Reduction of property taxes
- Free trials
- Small claims court
with DoNotPay today to simplify some of the most annoying and frustrating processes so you can have peace of mind.