How to Apply for Section 8 Housing In Sacramento in 2 Steps
Are you in need of housing assistance in Sacramento? With the average cost of housing at $455,000 and $1,764 for rental apartments and a median income of less than $40,000 per annum, Sacramento homes are some of the most expensive in the U.S.
However, you can apply for , a federal government program that provides safe and affordable housing for disadvantaged families and individuals.
Though the government's noble idea is to help those struggling, applying for the section 8 program is a challenge. Besides visiting the housing authority offices and website, you must pass background checks to qualify for the vouchers.
DoNotPay aims at smoothening the application process and allows you to apply for section 8 housing in Sacramento without much struggle.
Who Is Eligible for Section 8 Housing?
The Section 8 program has two sub-programs aimed at helping the underprivileged in society. The programs include:
- Tenant-based voucher program
- Project-based voucher program
The tenant-based voucher programs cover part of the rent for homes in the private market, while project-based programs help with rental assistance at specific housing communities.
To know if you are eligible for section 8 housing in Sacramento, check the following list:
|Income Limits||As an applicant, your income should not be more than 80% of the Sacramento median income (AMI), which is $31,574. You must attach proof of your income or unemployment history and bank statements.|
|Criminal History||Every household member applying for section 8 housing must pass a criminal background check. You must not have engaged in any unlawful activity within the last three years. Suppose any member of your household is a sex offender or has ever been convicted of the production of methamphetamine in any federal housing. In that case, you won't qualify for the program.|
|Age of the Applicant||Every applicant must be 18 years of age for their application. You must provide necessary documentation such as a birth certificate, driver's license, and social security number to prove that you are an adult.|
|Citizenship/ Immigration Status||You must be a US citizen or legal immigrant to meet the citizenship requirement. You must also provide the necessary documents to prove your citizenship and immigration status.|
How to Apply for Section 8 Houses for Rent in Sacramento on Your Own
The Sacramento Housing and Redevelopment Agency (SHRA) has two methods for residents applying for section 8 housing in Sacramento:
Online Application for Section 8 Housing in Sacramento
- Visit Sacramento Housing and Redevelopment Agency (SHRA)
- Choose the tenant-based voucher or project-based voucher depending on what you want to
- Fill in all the information on the form, including your email address
- Attach all the relevant documents( social security number, birth certificate, driver's license, income information, etc.)
- Submit the application.
You will need an email account for you to apply online. Ensure you sign up to any email account (Gmail, Yahoo, etc.)
In-Person Application for Section 8 Housing in Sacramento
Download the section 8 application form from the SHRA website, then fill in all the required information. Attach all the relevant documents. Once you have verified all the information in the application form, submit it to the SHRA offices on 630 I St, Sacramento, CA 95814.
You will be notified by mail when your application reaches the top of the waiting list. You will also be placed on the waiting list depending on the following preferences:
- Homeless or rent-burdened
- Living or/ working in Sacramento County
Application for section 8 in Sacramento is entirely free. If you are disabled and can't fill out the application form on your own, call the SHRA on (916) 440-1390 for assistance.
Once you get the voucher, you should look for apartments or houses that accept section 8 vouchers. You will pay 30% of the rent while the voucher will cover the rest of the payment. The payments will be sent directly to your landlord.
Applying for Section 8 Housing in Sacramento With the Help Of DoNotPay
Applying for the Sacramento section 8 housing list is tedious, frustrating, and time-consuming when you do it on your own without any help. However, with DoNotPay, you can apply and get a housing voucher in Sacramento without much effort.
If you want to apply for Section 8 housing in Sacramento but don't know where to start, DoNotPay has you covered in 2 easy steps:
- Answer a few questions about your income, family size, veteran/disability status, which county you hope to live in, etc.
- DoNotPay will find the PHA in charge of that county and contact them with all of your eligibility information to determine if you can start applying. They'll get back to you directly via email with the next steps.
Why Use DoNotPay to Apply for Section 8 Housing in Sacramento
DoNotPay is an appealing option for getting access to services for the following reasons:
- Fast. With DoNotPay, you don't have to spend your valuable time filling out applications or waiting for the application window to open.
- Easy. The application process becomes easier when you use DoNotPay since there are no tedious forms to fill out.
- Successful. You have assured success once you use DoNotPay to apply for section 8 housing in Sacramento.
DoNotPay can help you in the comfort of your home. All you have to do is sign up, and we will take it from there.