How to Fill Out a Section 8 Housing Application Form Hassle-Free
While everyone should have the access they need to decent and affordable living conditions, unfortunately, the skyrocketing cost of rent is putting this basic human necessity out of budget for many individuals and families. The Section 8 housing choice voucher program was designed to assist low-income households through government-funded housing subsidies for apartments, townhomes, or houses.
Unfortunately, the process to fill out a is not very straightforward. The steps necessary to determine your eligibility for a voucher, filling out the right forms, and getting in contact with your local public housing agency (PHA) can be an incredibly tedious and time-consuming ordeal. In addition, once you successfully determine eligibility and get in touch with the local PHA, you are likely to spend months or even years on a waitlist before you can receive your voucher.
The good news is that there is a simple way to start the Section 8 application process that will save you valuable time. With DoNotPay, you can complete the initial steps quickly and easily, and we will take care of verifying your eligibility and contacting the PHA for the county you would like to live in. From there, all you have to do is wait for the PHA to email you directly with the next steps of your application.
Who Is Eligible for Section 8 Housing?
The Section 8 housing voucher program is intended to lend assistance to low-income families, as well as elderly or disabled individuals in need of affordable, safe, and sanitary housing. While Section 8 is a government- subsidized rental assistance program, you will not be limited to living only within a subsidized housing project. If you are eligible to receive a housing choice voucher, you will be able to apply for housing in the private market, as long as the unit you are looking to rent meets the appropriate qualifications outlined in the limitations of your voucher.
So how do you know whether you're eligible to receive Section 8 housing benefits? We've outlined some of the qualifiers below.
|In order to qualify for a Section 8 housing choice voucher, your household must make an annual gross income that is less than a certain limited amount. The specific amount will vary, based on the state and county you live in.
|The size of your household, including a spouse, children, or other dependents, can help determine the amount of financial assistance you will need, as well as the appropriate number of bedrooms that your housing voucher will specify.
|The applicant must be a U.S. citizen or have eligible immigration status to qualify.
|Applicants may not have any previous evictions within the last three years due to drug-related criminal activity.
How to Apply for a Section 8 Housing Voucher on Your Own
If you would like to navigate the Section 8 application yourself, you must complete the following:
- Gather information , including your household's gross annual income, the size of your household, the citizenship status of all individuals and any corresponding documents, and the criminal history of all household members.
- Research the state and county you want to live in. It may be a good option to select a few alternatives, in case the location of your first choice is not currently accepting new applicants.
- Locate the PHA of the region you want to live in and familiarize yourself with their waitlist and notification policy. You may be able to join their email or mailing list to be notified of openings.
- Contact the PHA and follow their instructions to determine whether you are eligible to apply for a housing choice voucher.
- If you are eligible, the PHA will add you to their current waitlist for housing vouchers, which may indicate a waiting period of several months up to a year or two.
Submit a Section 8 Housing Application Easily with DoNotPay
Unfortunately, the full process of completing a is not very straightforward. If you're unsure of where to start when it comes to applying for Section 8 housing, we can help initiate the process for you quickly and easily with DoNotPay. Follow these steps to get started
- Answer a few questions about your income, family size, veteran/disability status, which county you hope to live in, etc.
- DoNotPay will find the PHA in charge of that county and contact them with all of your eligibility information to determine if you can start applying. They'll get back to you directly via email with the next steps.
Why Use DoNotPay to Apply for Section 8 Housing?
- If you are in need of safe and affordable housing, the last thing you need is to deal with the tedious and stressful steps necessary to complete your application. Instead of going through the hassle of figuring out your eligibility status, hunting down the proper forms, locating your local PHA's contact information, and ending up on a lengthy waitlist for a Section 8 housing choice voucher, DoNotPay can handle all of the legwork on your behalf.
- Completing a Section 8 housing application form through DoNotPay is easy, simplifying the process by letting us help verify your eligibility and contact your local PHA for you. In just a few minutes, you can complete the initial stage of the sign-up process through the app, and the PHA in your area will contact you directly to inform you of the next steps.
What Else Can DoNotPay Do?
Obtaining a Section 8 housing voucher is not the only thing that DoNotPay can assist you with. Our easy-to-use app can also help you with these services:
- Get a Bill Extension
- Reduce Property Taxes
- Cancel Free Trials Automatically
- Schedule an Appointment with the DMV
- Find Unclaimed Money Under Your Name
- Discover and Apply for Scholarships
- File a Complaint Against a Company
- Sue Someone in Small Claims Court