Easily Apply for Section 8 Housing Vouchers
The United States Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) administers a rent assistance program. In 1974, Congress established the Section 8 housing voucher program via the Housing and Community Development Act. The program's goal was to ensure that low-income earners, the disabled, or veterans could find decent housing in the private housing sector. Established in 1978, the New York City Department of Housing Preservation and Development (HPD) promotes affordability and quality housing.
If a family is eligible for a Section 8 home, the HUD provides them with a voucher when it becomes available. The family uses the voucher as a subsidy to rent a home in the private rental sector.
When they settle in a house, the HUD sends the rent directly to the house owner. Sometimes, the voucher may cover the entire rent. Sometimes the family has to add approximately 30% of their income to the rent paid by the HUD.
Once you apply for the Section 8 voucher, you are put on a waitlist that can take as long as one or two years. The process is tedious and frustrating, and you can make things easier by using DoNotPay.
Who is Eligible for Section 8 Housing?
Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher is a rent assistance program by the federal government. The program ensures low-income earners get decent and safe housing in the private housing sector. To become eligible for the Section 8 program, you must meet the following criterion:
|Documentation||At least one member of the applying family must meet all the required citizenship or legal immigration documentation.|
|Social Security Numbers||Applicants must provide the social security numbers of all its members who are either citizens or legal immigrants.|
|No Convictions||No member of the household should have ever faced conviction for producing methamphetamine in federal housing.|
|Sex Offender Program||No family member should be lifetime registration under a sex program for sex offenders.|
|Income||The applicant should fall within the stipulated income limit for the family size.|
How to Apply for HPD 8 Housing in New York by Yourself
The HUD funds the HPD 8 program, and the PHAs (Private Housing Authorities) administer it,
Follow these steps to apply for New York Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher assistance. However, you must be aware that the process is extremely tedious and frustrating. While on the waitlist, it's possible to wait up to 2 years.
- Check if the local PHAs are getting new applications. All PHAs have a waiting list, and when they reach the required number of applicants, they stop all applications.
- Fill out the full application or pre-application form as your PHA requires. You can either do this online, by mail, or through a drop into the PHA office. Some PHAs allow pre-application on the phone. After the PHA determines your eligibility, they place you on the waiting list.
- When it's your turn on the waiting list, your PHA will call you to verify your documents and an interview to determine your eligibility. You need to produce proof of income for the members of your family and your proof of citizenship.
Apply for HPD 8 With The Help of DoNotPay
Do Not Pay rental assistance helps you to navigate the HPD 8 application program. The HUD website portal can be frustrating, with issues like resetting the password being the major complaint.
How to Apply for Section 8 Housing with DoNotPay
If you want to apply for Section 8 Housing in [State/County] but don't know where to start, Do Not Pay has you covered in 2 easy steps:
- Answer a few questions about your income, family size, veteran/disability status, which county you hope to live in, etc.
- DoNotPay will find the PHA in charge of that county and contact them with all of your eligibility information to determine if you can start applying. They'll get back to you directly via email with the next steps.
Do Not Pay Works Across All Companies With The Click Of A Button
Do Not Pay works across all aspects of Sector 8 housing, not only in New York HPD 8 vouchers.
What Else Can DoNotPay Do?
The possibilities are endless with the help of DoNotPay. Along with helping you navigate your Section 8 application, we can help you:
- Protect Your Money: Virtual credit cards, airline flight compensation hacks, insurance claims burner phones, warranty charges, free trials with no charges.
- Find Hidden Money: Gift card cashback, free raffle tickets, find unclaimed money, help with bills, discover and apply for scholarships.
- Prevent Spam: Fight text spam, fight email spam, and get robocall compensation.
- Deal with Customer Service: late delivery, refunds, jumping phone queues for any company,and item return requests–you name it, we’ll handle it.