How to Find the Best Schools for Kids With Down Syndrome
If you have a child with Down Syndrome, you have likely spent time researching the best educational options available. It’s good to consider the different factors before deciding on the best schools for kids with Down Syndrome.
There are many great schools across the country that can meet the special educational, emotional,mental, and physical needs of your child. With the right learning program, your child will be better equipped to do life on their own and enjoy a sense of independence. DoNotPay can facilitate the research so you don’t have to spend too much time or money in finding the right school for your child.
What Is the Best Type of School for Children With Down Syndrome?
A child with Down Syndrome is often encouraged to attend public school with their peers. The average child with Down Syndrome will be able to achieve educational milestones with small adjustments based on their Individual Learning Plan.
A child with Down Syndrome can have mild to moderate cognitive difficulty and some will receive a greater educational benefit from attending private schools with more individualized learning.
What to Look For in a School for Kids With Down Syndrome?
Children with Down Syndrome benefit from additional support and smaller class sizes. They are visual learners who benefit from demonstrations and pictures.
A child with Down Syndrome does not respond well to punishment, they are more responsive to a rewards-based system. They also respond better when they are spoken to directly and clearly, using short sentence structures.
Best Schools for Children With Down Syndrome in The US
Here are ten of the best US private schools for children with Down Syndrome. The schools are private schools so they do have a tuition requirement, although many of them receive some portion of the tuition through the local school district and through private donations. The school's student-to-teacher ratio is also provided since children with Down Syndrome benefit from more individualized settings.
|School||Location||Tuition||Student to Teacher Ratio|
|Kennedy Krieger School||Baltimore, Maryland||$71,800||6:1|
|Children's Institute||Verona, New Jersey||$53,480||2:1|
|Brehm Preparatory School||Carbondale, Illinois||$71,000||6:1|
|The IvyMount School||Rockville, Maryland||$36,000||5:1|
|The Devereux Glenholme School||Washington, Connecticut||$119,720||4:1|
|Triad Academy At Summit School||Winston-Salem, North Carolina||$27,800||3:1|
|The Hill Center||Durham, North Carolina||$17,300||4:1|
|Oakland School||Keswick, Virginia||$46,500||5:1|
|Chartwell School||Seaside, California||$31,880||5:1|
|The John Crosland School||Charlotte, North Carolina||$20,500||6:1|
How to Choose a School for A Child With Down Syndrome
When choosing a school for your child with Down Syndrome, you must consider several factors, including the school's location, the amount of annual tuition, and the student-to-teacher ratio.
If you prefer to find a school local to where you live, you should include that information in your search criteria. If the annual tuition is higher than you can afford, you should contact the schools you are most interested in because many of them have options in place to ease the financial burden. The student-to-teacher ratio gives an idea of how much individual attention a child can expect to receive in their classrooms.
Finding the Best School for a Child With Down Syndrome on Your Own
When searching for the best school for your child with Down Syndrome, you must start by identifying the factors that are most relevant to your child and family's needs. Then you must rank those factors from most to least important. Factors may include location, tuition amount, class sizes, specialized curriculum, and boarding provided for day classes, to name a few.
- Using your list of factors, conduct online searches. You should conduct multiple searches using different combinations of the factors you listed.
- Once you have identified some schools of interest, you should make a chart to compare some of the important factors.
- This should allow you to narrow your list down to a few options that best suit your child's needs.
- Next, get more information about the schools of interest. You can find information online or you can inquire about the schools by speaking with the parents of current students about their experiences.
- Call the schools to set up a tour and meet with faculty to discuss how the school measures up compared to the needs of your child.
- If the school is a good option for your child, you can discuss tuition assistance and the enrollment process.
Finding the Best Schools for Children With Down Syndrome Using DoNotPay
Time-consuming tasks are handled quickly, easily, and successfully with products from DoNotPay. Let the Find The Best Schools product handle the searching, compiling, and comparing for you.
If you want to find the best schools in your area but don't know where to start, DoNotPay has you covered in 4 easy steps:
- Go to the Best Schools Search product on DoNotPay.
- Let us guide you through the different priorities you can filter by, including whether you're looking for a private school vs. public school, your ideal student-to-teacher ratio, and what grade level you are looking for.
- Tell us how you want us to rank the results (by what's most important to you!) Some examples include, best schools overall, most diverse, best teachers, etc.
- Enter the search area you want to search for. The wider the area, the more schools we can match you with.
Why Use DoNotPay to Find the Best Schools for a Child With Down Syndrome
Here are the benefits of using DoNotPay:
- DoNotPay saves you the trouble of searching through lists of schools and searching school websites for information relevant to your decision.
- DoNotPay also saves you time and money by locating the best schools for children with Down Syndrome on your behalf quickly, easily, and successfully.
DoNotPay Works Across All States With the Click of a Button
This product will find the best schools for your child with Down Syndrome wherever you live, or the best throughout the country. This is possible because DoNotPay works across all of the 50 states.
You set the search parameters based on the needs of your child and family and DoNotPay will conduct thorough research for you for both public and private schools across the country.
What Else DoNotPay Can Do?
Looking to save even more time and money? Check out some of the other product series from DoNotPay and find even more ways to save time and money quickly, easily, and successfully.
- Online Fax
- Small Claims Court
- Child Travel Consent
- Homeschool Letter Of Intent
- Best Schools for Troubled Kids
Sign up today!