How to Find the Best Schools for Kids With Anxiety
Having a child who experiences anxiety at a young age can be worrisome. You try to do the best you can to keep that anxiety under control. For some children, the stress of going to school only adds to the problem.
There are schools that specialize in the needs of students who suffer from anxiety and other learning disabilities. Of course, you don't want to simply choose the first one you find. There are options in how to find the best school for your anxious child.
How Does a School for Kids With Anxiety Differ?
Children who suffer from anxiety may have a need for special education. Anxiety disorders are not unusual in children and adults. They are protected under the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and provisions are made for accommodations to better deal with anxiety symptoms in public schools.
However, public school does not work for every student. Some parents turn to online learning, however, that isn't for all families either, especially if both parents work.
There are a lot of schools across the country that specialize in special needs kids including those with anxiety issues. Some differences between a school designed to accommodate children with anxiety and your local public school may include:
|Classroom Size||Schools designed to help students with anxiety usually have smaller classes. Some offer one-on-one learning.|
|Special Ed Teachers||The teachers have specific training in dealing with children with anxiety and other emotional issues.|
|Special Classes||Children receive a regular academic curriculum but may also have special classes including an emphasis on therapeutic classes as well as learning to deal with their anxiety.|
Things to Look For in a School for Children With Anxiety
Deciding to send your child to a school designed to deal with their anxiety issues is a big step. Where do you begin? Some things you may want to check into include:
- How many students per teacher are in a classroom?
- Will your child be able to learn at their own pace?
- What special classes does the school offer?
- Does the school have proper accreditation?
- How far is the school from your home?
- What is the tuition?
There may be other questions you need to be answered based on the needs of your child. For example, if the school sounds great but is too far away to travel to daily, does it offer on-campus living? You will need to research that as well.
How to Research Schools for Children With Anxiety Yourself
You want what is best for your child. Every parent does. So where do you begin? It is going to take a lot of research including talking with others on the phone or in person, searching for hours on the internet, and maybe sitting down with a librarian suggesting books on the subject. Your research could include:
- Speaking with counselors from your child's current school
- If your child has a favorite teacher, meet with them
- Discussing the idea with your child's pediatrician
- If your child is in therapy, ask their therapist
- Ask family and friends if they have been in a similar situation, and if they have any recommendations
- Create searches with specific data on internet search engines
You may want to create your own spreadsheet for the data you gather. You will want to visit the website or receive information by mail on every school that seems promising so you can start to compare. Once you narrow it down to a few, you will want to visit the school campuses.
But what if you cannot find the fit you were hoping for after putting in hours, days, and weeks of information requests and data tracking? Is there another way? Yes, there is.
How to Find the Best School for Your Child With DoNotPay
There are likely many quality schools in your state and even your town that bases their academic methods on children with anxiety and other special needs. But just because a school receives a high ranking does not mean it is the best fit for your child. That is something you, as parents, will have to decide.
DoNotPay can offer help by cutting down on your research time. To find some of the best schools for your child, you just need to follow a few easy steps:
- Go to the Best Schools Search product on DoNotPay.
- Let us guide you through the different priorities you can filter by, including whether you're looking for a private school vs. public school, your ideal student to teacher ratio, and what grade level you are looking for.
- Tell us how you want us to rank the results (by what's most important to you!) Some examples include, best schools overall, most diverse, best teachers, etc.
- Enter the search area you want to search in for. The wider the area, the more schools we can match you with.
DoNotPay Can Help Find the Best Choices in Schools for All of Your Kids
Narrowing down the search for a good school is not limited to children with anxiety. DoNotPay can help you find the:
- Best local pre-schools
- Schools for gifted children
- Private schools with a religious component
- Schools for children with autism
- High schools that specialize in the arts
- Special schools for troubled kids
- And more
No matter the age, interest, or need, DoNotPay can help you find the best school options for your children.
But DoNotPay Is More Than a School Research Service!
DoNotPay was created to assist people, just like you, with minor legal issues. Why pay for a lawyer when you don't need one? But, DoNotPay has evolved into a lot more help with finding schools and dealing with other issues involving kids and adults alike.
Some examples of what else DoNotPay can do include:
- A letter of intent for homeschooling
- A consent form for a field trip
- Sending fax when you don't have your own machine
- Filing a lawsuit in small claims court
When you sign up with DoNotPay, you will find so many things the app can do for you, saving you so much time and money. Have a look around. You will be glad you did!