How to Get Rental Assistance In Dallas
For Dallas residents that are living paycheck to paycheck, having temporary financial setbacks can be a real blow to their housing stability. Losing a job or a major expense can place low-income families behind on the rent and at risk of getting evicted.
The good news is that there's help out there, with several different resources for . Depending on your situation, you may qualify for a federal program or receive some rental help from local charities and non-profits. Keep reading for an overview of the best rental assistance options in Dallas and how DoNotPay can make it easier to apply.
The Types of Rental Assistance Available in Dallas
If you're dealing with a financial crisis in Dallas, multiple programs are offering need-based rental assistance. Depending on your situation, the resources you might want to reach out to include:
The table below outlines the rental assistance programs and their descriptions:
|Name||Type of Aid||Phone Number||Application Link|
|The Dallas Emergency Rental Assistance Program (ERAP)
|Dallas Housing Choice Voucher Program (Also Known as Section 8)||This government rental assistance program uses funds from the Department of Housing and Urban Development to provide low-income tenants with housing vouchers. The application process can take time, but this option offers significant, long-term rental assistance for those that qualify.||214-951-8300||link||link|
|North Dallas Shared Ministries||
|Dallas County Veterans Service Office||
||972-692-4939||link||Call the office to get started with a case manager|
|Christian Community Action||
||972-219-4305||link||Call or email to set up an appointment|
Other Resources for Getting Rent Relief in Dallas
One indirect way for Dallas residents to get help paying rent is by taking advantage of programs that can offset some of their other essential expenses. Here are some of the best resources for free food, school supplies, help with utility bills, and more.
- Urban Community Center Of North Texas: Low-income families and individuals can find an extensive list of services at this non-profit with multiple locations in the area, including financial assistance for paying bills and other living expenses, like gasoline. Call 469-913-8202.
- Irving Cares: Head to this Dallas-area non-profit for a food pantry or financial assistance for necessities like utility bills and prescription medications. Call 972-721- 9181.
- Lancaster Outreach Center: This non-profit agency can help applicants with paying for prescription medications and utility bills, among other services. Call 972-227-0138.
- The Salvation Army: The Dallas County branch offers different programs, like a food pantry and financial assistance with paying for utility bills. Call 972-721-9503.
- Grapevine Relief and Community Exchange (GRAPE): This charity helps low-income families in the greater Dallas area with paying their gas, electric, and water bills, as well as free food, clothing, and school supplies. Call 817-488-7009.
How to Apply for Rental Assistance in Dallas on Your Own
If an unexpected financial issue has made it difficult to keep up with the cost of your housing, many resources in Dallas can potentially help. The key is to find the right program for your situation and take the time to reach out.
Steps to Find Rental Assistance in Dallas
- Choose a program you think you would qualify for based on your situation and status, such as being a Veteran, having children in your household, or losing a job because of the global pandemic.
- Learn more about the application process by reviewing the website or calling in and talking to staff. You may be able to apply online, but some programs have an intake process that requires you to talk to a case manager.
- Prepare any documents you'll need to verify your economic situation, which may include an income statement and a lease or other agreement that shows the cost of your rent. You might also have to request some documents from your landlord.
- Complete the application process, which may include multiple steps, and check to see if there is another program you should consider applying for as well.
Use DoNotPay to Apply for Rental Assistance in Dallas
Getting behind on the rent is an incredibly stressful experience, especially if you're worried about being evicted. If you need help figuring out the best for your unique situation, get the ball rolling with DoNotPay's simple rental assistance tool.
All you have to do is answer some questions from the comfort of your laptop or smartphone, and let your virtual lawyer do the rest! The DoNotPay app allows you to gather all the relevant information to help you find rental assistance programs you can qualify for.
How to Apply for Housing Assistance in Dallas With DoNotPay
We can compose a letter to your local housing authority based on your situation and inquire about your best options for receiving assistance. Here are the 4 steps:
- Search for Rental Assistance on DoNotPay.
- Put together a list of your income, debts, expenses, and assets. If you need help accessing information like your credit report, DoNotPay can help you get your report.
- Let DoNotPay collect your basic information and compose a letter to your local housing authority requesting rental assistance.
- Lastly, DoNotPay will send your letter to your local housing authority.
Why Use DoNotPay to Apply for Rental Assistance in Dallas
When you need support to get through an economic rough patch, DoNotPay can make it easier. The rental assistance tool is the fast, easy, and effective way to fill out paperwork, streamline the application process, and find the help you need to stay in your home.
What Else Can DoNotPay Do to Help You Resolve Issues?
DoNotPay provides an extensive range of problem-solving tools that make life easier, whether it's navigating a legal problem, making some extra money, or saving yourself time and hassle. Check out just a few of the popular tools that can be found on the app:
- Sell your gift cards for cash
- Cancel your subscription services
- File your Freedom of Information request
- Earn extra income by finding clinical trials in your area to participate in
- File a product warranty claim
- Request a refund from Uber Eats
- Dispute a seatbelt ticket
Download the app today and discover everything DoNotPay can do!